Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK bosses flocking to Labour conference as business walks away from Tories (and Brexit)

pellinore

Labour is having to turn away business leaders who want to attend special events at its party conference in Liverpool next month because too many have applied in the belief that Keir Starmer will form the next government.

Party insiders say that a full complement of 200 senior business people have signed up at a cost of £2,520 each to attend a special business forum on the Monday of the conference with Starmer, shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves and shadow business secretary Jonathan Reynolds.

Another 180 have been put on a waiting list and will only be able to attend if others drop out. Last year only 130 attended.

While many business leaders are yet to be entirely convinced by Labour’s policy agenda – with many wanting it to go further and faster in addressing the damage caused by Brexit – there is strong interest in the party’s green prosperity plan that aims to learn from the Biden administration through public-private partnership in building a new green economy.

UK bosses flocking to Labour conference as business walks away from Tories (msn.com)

Edited by pellinore

• The title was changed to UK bosses flocking to Labour conference as business walks away from Tories (and Brexit)

46 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Labour is having to turn away business leaders who want to attend special events at its party conference in Liverpool next month because too many have applied in the belief that Keir Starmer will form the next government.

Party insiders say that a full complement of 200 senior business people have signed up at a cost of £2,520 each to attend a special business forum on the Monday of the conference with Starmer, shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves and shadow business secretary Jonathan Reynolds.

Another 180 have been put on a waiting list and will only be able to attend if others drop out. Last year only 130 attended.

While many business leaders are yet to be entirely convinced by Labour’s policy agenda – with many wanting it to go further and faster in addressing the damage caused by Brexit – there is strong interest in the party’s green prosperity plan that aims to learn from the Biden administration through public-private partnership in building a new green economy.

UK bosses flocking to Labour conference as business walks away from Tories (msn.com)

If a general election was called tomorrow I think it would be a hung parliament.

With Labour I think they have been unremarkable over the last few years. Starmer isn`t visible enough and isn`t capturing the support of enough voters to win the election. He hasn`t done anything wrong, its more a case of he hasn`t done much of anything.

With the Tories they have the correct economic policy but of course that doesn`t please low income households struggling due to the costs of living. They will loose supporters due to those Russian sanctions. Boris is been and gone. With Sunak I will point out something which many will not like but it is true. A large chunk of the UK population are racist and will not vote for him because of it.

I would say such a hypothetical election would have a low turnout, the Lib Dems would gain plenty of MPs, but there would be a hung parliament.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

With the Tories they have the correct economic policy

A few years ago, you were telling anyone who would listen that your 'economic qualifications' meant you knew the best policy was to cut back in times of growth and spend during a recession.

What changed? Did you get a refund on the degree?

IMG-20230913-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7a389772bbe1f5f383966c5e02004650.jpg

To be fair, applies equally to this faux Tory government we have now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

IMG-20230913-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7a389772bbe1f5f383966c5e02004650.jpg

To be fair, applies equally to this faux Tory government we have now.

If you were the next Prime Minister, how would you run the country and what policies would you put in place ?

1 hour ago, Saru said:

If you were the next Prime Minister, how would you run the country and what policies would you put in place ?

Where do you start.

On education the emphasis on attending uni has to be deprioritized and more students shown the benefit of doing practical work in the economy. 

Although uni's would howl in protest the UK is in a unique position where there are always more foreign students desperate for a place. 

This was shown to be the case after brexit when a lack of EU students was forecast to severely affect the financial viability of many UK universities but didn't happen. 

Infrastructure needs to be expanded at the same rate as population growth. More homes, hospitals, roads to drive electric cars on, rail and airports. This would improve productivity. New ULEZ schemes would have all revenue handed to charities, as they are motivated by funding local government this would probably stop the rolling out of this irresponsible idea overnight. 

Remove the obstructive government blob, civil servants with enough power in a department to interfere with policy. 

I would also hire a proficient service provision company to oversee how money is spent, this would reduce staffing levels and cost, as well as improving performance. Something promised by various governments but never fully implemented . Probably down to objections by top civil servants. ;)

I would remove the house of lords and replace government oversite entirely with oversite committees with relevant expertise.

The UK needs to be as self reliant on energy as is reasonable and given our natural resources this should not be an issue, as long as energy companies are not windfall taxed out of existence. 

I would also move Parliament from Westminster into the midlands with a new parliament building and space for a new slimmed down civil service. An old military base would be ideal. The old palace of Westminster could be sold and the cost of constant renovation saved.

I'm sure a rich Arab could be persuaded to buy it and use as a hotel.  ;)  

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 7:14 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

Where do you start.

On education the emphasis on attending uni has to be deprioritized and more students shown the benefit of doing practical work in the economy. 

Although uni's would howl in protest the UK is in a unique position where there are always more foreign students desperate for a place. 

This was shown to be the case after brexit when a lack of EU students was forecast to severely affect the financial viability of many UK universities but didn't happen. 

Infrastructure needs to be expanded at the same rate as population growth. More homes, hospitals, roads to drive electric cars on, rail and airports. This would improve productivity. New ULEZ schemes would have all revenue handed to charities, as they are motivated by funding local government this would probably stop the rolling out of this irresponsible idea overnight. 

Remove the obstructive government blob, civil servants with enough power in a department to interfere with policy. 

I would also hire a proficient service provision company to oversee how money is spent, this would reduce staffing levels and cost, as well as improving performance. Something promised by various governments but never fully implemented . Probably down to objections by top civil servants. ;)

I would remove the house of lords and replace government oversite entirely with oversite committees with relevant expertise.

The UK needs to be as self reliant on energy as is reasonable and given our natural resources this should not be an issue, as long as energy companies are not windfall taxed out of existence. 

I would also move Parliament from Westminster into the midlands with a new parliament building and space for a new slimmed down civil service. An old military base would be ideal. The old palace of Westminster could be sold and the cost of constant renovation saved.

Thank you

On 9/14/2023 at 10:14 AM, L.A.T.1961 said:

Where do you start.

You've already got my vote. 👍👍

2 hours ago, KeithSwartz said:

Thank you

Welcome to the forum. 

On 9/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, Saru said:

Cut fuel duty to near zero.

Remove snooping charter.

Stop HS2.

Any immigrant arriving from a safe country eg France, gets locked up and has to work within the prison until they can be deported.

Free university fees (reduce the fees charged by Uni)

Charge patients for food in the NHS hospitals.

Repeal PFI.

Make electricity free.

Abandon net zero.

Legalise drugs and prostitution, and tax it

Increase motorway speeds to 80mph

Remove 20 mph

Remove ULEZ and clean air zones 

Enshrine Christian values as law in matters of governance across the UK

Give tax breaks to businesses employing less than 30 employees.

Make never 3rd Friday of the month compulsory fancy dress day (known as FDD)

Ban woke agendas

On 9/14/2023 at 8:29 PM, Setton said:

A little light on details, don't you think?

Like Labour only with more policies 

9 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Like Labour only with more policies 

Glad I waited 7 months for that reply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Glad I waited 7 months for that reply.

Glad you finally caught up. Welcome.

• Haha 1