Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nihilisn, Nationalism & Nazism

ReadTheGreatControversyEGW

10 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

I'm no expert, or qualified. To my understanding, that question is by and of itself, nonsense because it implies "false" enlightenment exists, or that there is more to what is "enlightenment"

If anything or anyone skirts and avoids the principle of "karma" in the teaching ... You can with good confidence assure them that they know not what they are making noises about. 

Karma is at the core and central of all things Buddha ... this is the foundation of "awakening" 

Karma just is, there is no bad or good karma and karma is not about what is desired or undesired karma... This is the foundation of "enlightenment"

~

So basically a mindful focus on one's cause and effect? That's what it has come off to me. Am I right? 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ajay0 said:

But you do realize that the two world wars and holocaust originated in europe, and probably  the third and final one as well. 

Holocaust survivor and philosopher Viktor Frankl had credited nihilist beliefs with the brutality of the wars and holocaust. 

I am only stating here emphatically that western philosophy and nihilism may be wrong in their conclusions,and it is important to investigate all philosophical perspectives in this regard, not just western.

Read about the 5 Dynasty-10 Kingdom Period much? The formation of Korea? Howabout Oda the Destroyer's attempt to wipe out Tendai Buddhism. The Muslim Crusade against Buddhism? 

Human brutality has no geographic area.

I have the funny feeling your a Westerner acting as a Eastern apologist. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So basically a mindful focus on one's cause and effect? That's what it has come off to me. Am I right? 

Exactly! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Partly, not all causes and effects is entirely of direct actions, even though it affects one directly.

Karma isn't limited to space or time. No one owns or possess karma, everyone and everything there is and ever was is due to karma. 

Whatever happens, thought to be good or bad, is not because of this karma or that karma, old karma or new karma. It is just karma. And it is the karma we are experiencing because it is the time and place of the actualisation of this aspect of karma. 

Here then is the important point, karma is "not" fixed, karma favors the point of resolute outcomes. 

In such a way, one can cultivate favorable karma, but it only works if it is all encompassing, all enveloping. 

Once attempts are made to split, slice, dissect, refine and etc karma... The illusion of reality manifests itself, and reality dissipate into lies. 

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Indeed :wub:

An add to: creating favorable karma (for me: aka cause and effect) means helping others and acting in a positive and compassionate manner. Show kindness and compassion towards others. Treat everyone with respect and empathy, regardless of their background or circumstances.

Offer assistance and support to those in need. 

Express appreciation for the people and things you  (in general) have in your life. Cultivate a sense of gratitude by acknowledging acts of kindness or reflecting on the positive aspects of your life regularly.

Practice mindfulness to become more aware of ones thoughts, actions, and their impact on others. By being present in the moment, you can make conscious choices that contribute to positive outcomes.

Make choices aligned with values and principles. Consider the ethical implications of actions and strive to act in ways that are fair, honest, and just.

Let go of grudges and resentments. Forgiveness frees one from negative emotions and allows one to cultivate peace and harmony within self and with others.

Be mindful of the impact your words and actions may have on others. Strive to avoid causing harm or distress to people, animals, and the environment.

Be a source of positive energy and uplift those around you. Offer encouragement, support, and compliments to others, creating an atmosphere of positivity.

Focus on personal growth and self-improvement. Strive to become the best version of yourself by learning, reflecting, and continuously working on your own development.

IMHO, creating favorable karma is a lifelong practice that requires consistency and a genuine desire to make a positive difference in the world.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If chanting 'ooh, booh, doo, hoo" three hundred and thirty five times a day for 335 day can lead to total enlightenment, people would do it.

No, no, no...one must  chant  'ooh, booh, doo, hoo'  365 times, 365 days out of the year.  And then...you will reach total enlightenment...but...if you miss even one day thereafter...your enlightenment will disappear and in order to re-establish your enlightenment, you have to start all over again, 365 times, every single day...

But even if you do that...once you reach enlightenment...if you miss one day...gone!  Or...if you slip up and say it wrong, 'ooh, booh, doobie doo'  ...gone!  

And I'm not certain on this, but, I am pretty sure that it is 'Ohm, booh, doo, hoo'.  If you don't say Ohm I don't think you can ever become enlightened.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

In all seriousness, I used to chant the Moolah Mantra...everyday... Ohm, sat chit ananda, parabrama... every day...and It all made sense to me...and it made me feel at peace. But there is literally no difference in praying, Father God, we thank you father, for being God, Father God and just thank you Father God for sending yourself as Jesus Christ, Father God...( there was actually a guy in our church that prayed exactly that way)

The rituals can make one feel peaceful and 'enlightened'. and it's a beautiful world, and all one has to do is immerse one's self in it...whatever 'it' is.

... meanwhile...  the same abused children are suffering, the same people are hungry, the same heartaches and the same joys and the same world is turning 24/7...the only difference is that the 'real' world is removed from our own personal reality.  There is no Enlightenment in that.  It's like Mike Tyson saying that he never works out or punches the punching bag because he wants to forget that guy, forget his ego.   It is completely non-sensical.  Because immersing ourselves in some ritualistic voodooism isn't going to help anyone...it really is as you said,  all illusion.   If the intention (cause),  is to help (effect), all that is really needed is the mindset.  And it doesn't come from ritualistic anything...it comes from genuinely caring about other people.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SHaYap said:

Partly, not all causes and effects is entirely of direct actions, even though it affects one directly.

Karma isn't limited to space or time. No one owns or possess karma, everyone and everything there is and ever was is due to karma. 

Whatever happens, thought to be good or bad, is not because of this karma or that karma, old karma or new karma. It is just karma. And it is the karma we are experiencing because it is the time and place of the actualisation of this aspect of karma. 

Here then is the important point, karma is "not" fixed, karma favors the point of resolute outcomes. 

In such a way, one can cultivate favorable karma, but it only works if it is all encompassing, all enveloping. 

Once attempts are made to split, slice, dissect, refine and etc karma... The illusion of reality manifests itself, and reality dissipate into lies. 

:nw: No lip, take your pets. :P

Excellent post.:wub:

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

But you do realize that the two world wars and holocaust originated in europe, and probably  the third and final one as well. 

I decline to play "your atrocities are worse than my atrocities" with you. And no, I don't realize that events in Asia and the Pacific were less important to the outbreak and prosecution of WW II than events in Europe. 

• Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, joc said:

No, no, no...one must  chant  'ooh, booh, doo, hoo'  365 times, 365 days out of the year.  And then...you will reach total enlightenment...but...if you miss even one day thereafter...your enlightenment will disappear and in order to re-establish your enlightenment, you have to start all over again, 365 times, every single day...

But even if you do that...once you reach enlightenment...if you miss one day...gone!  Or...if you slip up and say it wrong, 'ooh, booh, doobie doo'  ...gone!  

And I'm not certain on this, but, I am pretty sure that it is 'Ohm, booh, doo, hoo'.  If you don't say Ohm I don't think you can ever become enlightened.

Try "Ou-wa tai-gu si-am."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Read about the 5 Dynasty-10 Kingdom Period much? The formation of Korea? Howabout Oda the Destroyer's attempt to wipe out Tendai Buddhism. The Muslim Crusade against Buddhism? 

Human brutality has no geographic area.

I have the funny feeling your a Westerner acting as a Eastern apologist. 

Sri Lankans versus the Tamil Tigers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sri Lankans versus the Tamil Tigers.

The Killing Fields of Cambodia.

43 minutes ago, joc said:

In all seriousness, I used to chant the Moolah Mantra...everyday... Ohm, sat chit ananda, parabrama... every day...and It all made sense to me...and it made me feel at peace. But there is literally no difference in praying, Father God, we thank you father, for being God, Father God and just thank you Father God for sending yourself as Jesus Christ, Father God...( there was actually a guy in our church that prayed exactly that way)

This may be something to take up in @Sherapy's Nones thread.

Although he emphasized mental (silent) repetition rather than chanting, the late Herbert Benson, M.D. of Harvard was the first to establish experimentally that indeed, (1) mental repetition of a short phrase had a predictable and measurable physiological effect on the physical body and "state of mind" (the Relaxation Response, searchable), and (2) it didn't matter what the phrase was so long as the person easily remembered it.

His initial research was funded by the Transcendental Meditation enterprise. Their ritual was to assign a phrase to the client based on the sort of mumbo jumbo that so often blows in from the mysterious East and accepts all major credit cards. The client would then do the silent mental repetition using the mystically assigned phrase.

Benson proved that yes, that worked wonders. TM Inc. was pleased. But Benson was a scientist, and finding an experimental control was second nature to him. So, Benson says, let's try it with <insert method for choosing a phrase here>. And no matter how he chose the phrase, nursery rhymes, children's prayers, favorite lines from Shakespeare, ..., let the clients pick whatever they like - you name it, it not only worked, but the reliable measurable effects were identical. Benson and TM, Inc. parted ways.

I think that's a model for part of the Rise of the Nones. There are things of value to be had from religious pursuits. The same benefits are also available at a much lower cost, whether financial or psychological. As people discover that, ... maybe some of them become cost-effective Nones.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Killing Fields of Cambodia.

Excruciating Golden Harvest Production voice overs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Excruciating Golden Harvest Production voice overs.

:o......THE HORROR!!!!!!! :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I decline to play "your atrocities are worse than my atrocities" with you. And no, I don't realize that events in Asia and the Pacific were less important to the outbreak and prosecution of WW II than events in Europe. 

I love my Nihon family but the Japanese Empire tried to make it a competition with the Nazis and Utase. 

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I love my Nihon family but the Japanese Empire tried to make it a competition with the Nazis and Utase. 

IIRC, some of the Nazi big shots flirted with the idea that the Japanese were honorary Aryans.

It really was a worldwide war, against crazy crap spead all over the globe; no east this/west that.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Piney said:

Makes one miss the Tokugawa Shogunate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

This may be something to take up in @Sherapy's Nones thread.

Although he emphasized mental (silent) repetition rather than chanting, the late Herbert Benson, M.D. of Harvard was the first to establish experimentally that indeed, (1) mental repetition of a short phrase had a predictable and measurable physiological effect on the physical body and "state of mind" (the Relaxation Response, searchable), and (2) it didn't matter what the phrase was so long as the person easily remembered it.

His initial research was funded by the Transcendental Meditation enterprise. Their ritual was to assign a phrase to the client based on the sort of mumbo jumbo that so often blows in from the mysterious East and accepts all major credit cards. The client would then do the silent mental repetition using the mystically assigned phrase.

Benson proved that yes, that worked wonders. TM Inc. was pleased. But Benson was a scientist, and finding an experimental control was second nature to him. So, Benson says, let's try it with <insert method for choosing a phrase here>. And no matter how he chose the phrase, nursery rhymes, children's prayers, favorite lines from Shakespeare, ..., let the clients pick whatever they like - you name it, it not only worked, but the reliable measurable effects were identical. Benson and TM, Inc. parted ways.

I think that's a model for part of the Rise of the Nones. There are things of value to be had from religious pursuits. The same benefits are also available at a much lower cost, whether financial or psychological. As people discover that, ... maybe some of them become cost-effective Nones.

That's one thing I noticed through chaos magick. It's all basically the same cereal, just a different box. From my perspective (could be wrong) is that it works, because people believe it works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's one thing I noticed through chaos magick. It's all basically the same cereal, just a different box. From my perspective (could be wrong) is that it works, because people believe it works. 

At least for the physiological changes that Benson studied, belief was irrelevant (for one thing, believe what?, for another, as time went on he studied different traditions, different beliefs - same physiology). I also think his failure was instructive: he'd hoped that if the practice was performed regularly, there would be longer term, persistent versions of the short-term changes that happen when somebody does the exercise (e.g. maybe cure high blood pressure).

Nope. You do the practice, you zone out for a while, then you're back where you started. At most, you might get another tool for managing stressful episodes ("Now would be a good time to relax") - but only if you remember to do it and aren't already so upset that you can't focus on the phrase.

No magic(k), just an easy way to bliss out for a while.

• Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, eight bits said:

At least for the physiological changes that Benson studied, belief was irrelevant (for one thing, believe what?, for another, as time went on he studied different traditions, different beliefs - same physiology). I also think his failure was instructive: he'd hoped that if the practice was performed regularly, there would be longer term, persistent versions of the short-term changes that happen when somebody does the exercise (e.g. maybe cure high blood pressure).

Nope. You do the practice, you zone out for a while, then you're back where you started. At most, you might get another tool for managing stressful episodes ("Now would be a good time to relax") - but only if you remember to do it and aren't already so upset that you can't focus on the phrase.

No magic(k), just an easy way to bliss out for a while.

Thanks for the clarifications. 

• Thanks 5

21 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Try "Ou-wa tai-gu si-am."

Screenshot_20231005-054959-580.png.7f7795a97c4b5e3dc912e993c0788639.png

• Haha 3

On 9/26/2023 at 5:34 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Al

Reading this post reminded me of Aristotle and how he wrote. He would describe the different contexts and use of a word as a prelude to reading his presentation. he would also clarify context in the use of a word in his description of his ideas/observations which was the first time I had ever seen anyone express their thoughts in that manner.

Thanks for that jmccr8.  I don't have my reasoning compared to Aristotle every day.  I suppose I spent too much time translating old books that used Aristotelian logic as a foundation and it seeped its way into my mind?  For my part, I am impressed that you were paying such close attention to the method and style that Aristotle used to reach his conclusions.  Most people just jump to the conclusions, and ignore the working out, in my experience, so kudos for that, I'm impressed. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Thanks for that jmccr8.  I don't have my reasoning compared to Aristotle every day.  I suppose I spent too much time translating old books that used Aristotelian logic as a foundation and it seeped its way into my mind?  For my part, I am impressed that you were paying such close attention to the method and style that Aristotle used to reach his conclusions.  Most people just jump to the conclusions, and ignore the working out, in my experience, so kudos for that, I'm impressed. :yes:

Hi Al

Reading Aristotle opened my eyes about how intelligent ancient men were which then created not only a new interest but a different understanding of what man is and intellectively. My philosophy prof also enjoyed our in class discussions and distractions as I was the only one in class that invested a lot of time actually studying the course material. It was quite funny how our relationship grew as the previous semester which was my first he told me it wasn't to late to get my money back and the second semester told me that he always saved my weekly essay till last to keep him motivated to read the other students papers.

I think we could share some good discussions and do think you have had an interesting life.

• Like 3