Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nihilisn, Nationalism & Nazism

ReadTheGreatControversyEGW

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I think a lot of the discussion here has been circling the plughole of MEANING for a while without really addressing what Meaning is.

Most people who say "meaning" mean "purpose".  Are we really reduced to asking "what does meaning mean?"?

Synonyms include: Connotation, Signification, Implication, Denotation, Aim, import, purport, among others.

Wittgenstein made a rather succinct observation however, which is that "Meaning is USE" (and we are back to purpose).

What Linguistics can bring to this discussion is very pertinent in my opinion, and that is the idea of CONTEXT.

Meaning is not an isolate.  Meaning is a symbolic relationship, as it is only obtained via its relationship to other symbols i.e. its Context.

A sentence is a series of discrete symbolic meanings that take on a greater meaning due to their syntactic relationship.

At one level all words are simply sounds we make and collections of symbols we draw, but they encode a series of meanings that due to Context take on a greater meaning.

Thus the meaning of life depends upon the context of that life.  We can say that "life is as life does" in that it replicates itself and evolves, but this is interesting, because within its context, not many things in nature "fall together" the way life does.  Life is one of the few things in the universe that subverts Entropy.  I like to think that subverting Entropy is the meaning of life.

Hi Al

Reading this post reminded me of Aristotle and how he wrote. He would describe the different contexts and use of a word as a prelude to reading his presentation. he would also clarify context in the use of a word in his description of his ideas/observations which was the first time I had ever seen anyone express their thoughts in that manner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sherapy said:

One potential point of discussion is the idea that all mental defilements related to desires and aversions are eliminated in the state of Buddhahood. While it is true that the path to enlightenment in Buddhism involves overcoming attachments and desires, it is debatable whether complete elimination of all mental defilements is achievable.Thrre is a strong arguement that desires and aversions are inherent to human nature and can be channeled towards positive goals, such as personal growth and social progress. In this perspective or in a real time practice, the goal is not to eliminate desires entirely, but to develop a more skillful and balanced relationship with them.

All vices like greed, hatred, lust are but strong desires in the form of  cravings and aversions, manifesting as crimes  like robbery, murder, abuse at the manifest realm.

Enthusiasm can be inspired towards a subject by love for it. For example a sportsman can be inspired to attain excellence in his field through enthusiastic love for it. Not everyone can become the best or gold medallist no matter how much of a burning desire they have  for it, and those who do so are usually unidimensional and may suffer from burnouts or psychological pain of failure.

For me, the idea that Buddhahood results in peace and inner joy of a perpetual nature, independent of external objects and events, is misleading.

U.S as a nation is just two nations old, and does not have the timeline of an ancient civilization. Yes, they are technologically advanced enough to produce wmd of an impressive nature, but this can also be highly counterproductive in the long run.

In the east, there has been enlightened sage in the past and present who have testified to the perpetual ecstasy of the enlightened state. 

In the west, there has been enlightened sages like Robert Adams, Gangaji, Jed Mckenna, Gary Weber, Mooji, Jac O Keffe, who have testified to the effortless bliss of the enlightened state.

While the teachings of Buddhism do emphasize finding inner peace and joy through meditation and mindfulness, it is important to remember that external circumstances will still impact an individual's emotions and well-being. Instead of complete detachment from external objects and events, some interpretations of Buddhism/mindfulness suggest cultivating a sense of equanimity and non-attachment, allowing one to navigate the ups and downs of life with more resilience and acceptance.

Yes, there are people who are highly affected by external circumstances to the point they may die of shock when they confront an unpalatable event. It can even be a harmless prank.

Mental equanimity and mindfulness enables one to be unruffled in adverse external circumstances and thereby have mental clarity to think and right correctly.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ajay0 said:

All vices like greed, hatred, lust are but strong desires in the form of  cravings and aversions, manifesting as crimes  like robbery, murder, abuse at the manifest realm.

Enthusiasm can be inspired towards a subject by love for it. For example a sportsman can be inspired to attain excellence in his field through enthusiastic love for it. Not everyone can become the best or gold medallist no matter how much of a burning desire they have  for it, and those who do so are usually unidimensional and may suffer from burnouts or psychological pain of failure.

U.S as a nation is just two nations old, and does not have the timeline of an ancient civilization. Yes, they are technologically advanced enough to produce wmd of an impressive nature, but this can also be highly counterproductive in the long run.

In the east, there has been enlightened sage in the past and present who have testified to the perpetual ecstasy of the enlightened state. 

In the west, there has been enlightened sages like Robert Adams, Gangaji, Jed Mckenna, Gary Weber, Mooji, Jac O Keffe, who have testified to the effortless bliss of the enlightened state.

Yes, there are people who are highly affected by external circumstances to the point they may die of shock when they confront an unpalatable event. It can even be a harmless prank.

Mental equanimity and mindfulness enables one to be unruffled in adverse external circumstances and thereby have mental clarity to think and right correctly.

So it's just another " I'm better than you because " type of thing. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So it's just another " I'm better than you because " type of thing. 

Virtuous conduct, mental equanimity and mindfulness can be developed by anyone . 

If due to delusion they fall by false views ( as opposed to right view in buddhism) and decide to indulge in vice and unconscious behavior , like the Nazis did in ww2 under the nihilist spell, they will obviously end up as losers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ajay0 said:

Virtuous conduct, mental equanimity and mindfulness can be developed by anyone . 

And at the end, it doesn't matter one bit. 

If due to delusion they fall by false views ( as opposed to right view in buddhism) 

Who's to say that is actually the right view? People imposed this supposed importance to a man that time would've forgotten. He's the Jesus of india.

and decide to indulge in vice and unconscious behavior 

Some people are just hedonist. Even I see them as less human. 

like the Nazis did in ww2 under the nihilist spell, they will obviously end up as losers.  It wasn't nihilism that caused them to lose, they stretched themselves to thin. They had purpose, a terrible one at that, but a direction none the less. It just got too big. 

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Hmmm, well  Martin Luther King Jr. was motivated by a deep sense of anger and frustration, and dare I say hatred towards the injustice of racism, yet as a result he advocated for nonviolent resistance. His anger was channeled into a transformative force (compassion) aimed at eradicating racial discrimination and promoting social change. He believed in standing up against inequality, but he did so with a focus on peaceful means, unity, and empathy for humanity. Probably one of the better examples of mindfulness. 

Personal testimonies of those self professing their own enlightenment are a dime a dozen, they are subjective and can only be taken on faith. While it works for you for me, without a way to test or verify the claims they are anecdotal. 

Some alternatives way to consider so called “enlightenment”

The term "bliss bunnies" is used to describe individuals who are overly focused on pursuing or prioritizing personal happiness or bliss. It can sometimes imply pursuing spirituality or self-improvement solely for the purpose of attaining personal happiness without considering other aspects of life or societal responsibilities. 

Being "in the zone": This concept refers to a state of optimal performance and focus where individuals are fully immersed in an activity or task. It is often associated with a feeling of heightened concentration, effortless engagement, and a sense of being "in the flow." This state of being "in the zone" is frequently experienced by athletes, artists, musicians, and individuals engaged in challenging and absorbing activities.

I think motivation is more about what captures one’s interest than cultivating a love for something first, love is a deep and intense affection or attachment towards someone or something. It often involves a sense of care, empathy, and a desire for the well-being of the loved entity. Love can be expressed in various forms, such as love between family members, romantic love between partners etc. raising kids etc. Yet, one doesn’t have to love someone to care for them and because they love them isn’t a guarantee they will care for them with compassion, kindness, understanding and empathy.  

For me, passion, on the other hand, refers to a strong and intense enthusiasm or desire for something. It is a powerful emotion that fuels dedication, ambition, and relentless pursuit of a specific interest or goal, no matter the challenges. Passion is typically associated with a sense of excitement, energy, and dedication, and it often drives individuals to invest time, effort, and resources in pursuing their passions.

None the less thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

If due to delusion they fall by false views ( as opposed to right view in buddhism) and decide to indulge in vice and unconscious behavior , like the Nazis did in ww2 under the nihilist spell, they will obviously end up as losers. 

Can you define right view for clarity.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, joc said:

Personally I rather enjoy being alive. Happiness is found in doing not merely possessing.

:tu:     I like that joc               As for being, having  meaning?  purpose?  …sounds like some sort of servitude.?        
How about importance ?   relevance?    opportunity?  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, lightly said:

:tu:     I like that joc               As for being, having  meaning?  purpose?  …sounds like some sort of servitude.?        
How about importance ?   relevance?    opportunity?  

I think we are all bound in servitude to some extent. We feed and cloth our children and provide them shelter for example. We serve our fellow man in innumerable ways.

One might say then that servitude gives meaning to life. One could say their life has no meaning, no purpose, and for them it may not, however, without considering the impact of our actions towards others and the meaningfulness that they assign to our lives, the conclusion of meaningless is much less accurate; the movie, It's a Wonderful Life for example.

As for relevance,  that too is found in servitude. Take, take take doesn't offer much relevance to our lives, but giving of ourselves to others does.

Every moment presents an opportunity for service. We can serve others by doing absolutely nothing more than just being mindful that every other human's experiences are all the same,  yet vaguely different, because we are each a unique being.. So maybe we serve them by saying nothing. By doing nothing. 

Thanks for asking such poignant questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Read

I see answers to your question have already been given so not much point in me adding other than saying you should familiarize yourself with the scientific disiplines involved.

I will ask again though how do you account for cities and cultures that predate your position that god created the world 6000 years ago.

I was taught that the world was destroyed twice which is why god said he eould not destroy it again with either fire or water. Earth at one time was a place where angels came to for recreation and was destroyed during the war with god which would predate humans  so it had to be here before 6000 years ago going by your dating and belief.

Ok thanks..  hey I've looked up a lot of stuff yeah and am still persuaded that science can only give what it calls evidence to support the life existing for millions of years theory.

My problem is that, we cannot observe this (life having been existing for millions of years in the world) with our own eyes.

All we have is data (artifacts, fossils, natural phenomenon, etc.) and interpretations of that data based on hypothesis. 

There are plenty of room for errors. It would not be the first or last time that errors were made.

Hypotheses are by definition an assumption, a proposition, an idea taken to be true or very possible from the get go and everything thereafter moves in that direction.

Self-fulfilling prophecy can be a serious thing. All you have eyes for is what you set out to see. And all this is even assuming that the human heart is pure and good and would never engage in subterfuge (so no intentionally biased/ deceptive interpretations and conduct).   

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Ok thanks..  hey I've looked up a lot of stuff yeah and am still persuaded that science can only give what it calls evidence to support the life existing for millions of years theory.

My problem is that, we cannot observe this (life having been existing for millions of years in the world) with our own eyes.

All we have is data (artifacts, fossils, natural phenomenon, etc.) and interpretations of that data based on hypothesis. 

There are plenty of room for errors. It would not be the first or last time that errors were made.

Hypotheses are by definition an assumption, a proposition, an idea taken to be true or very possible from the get go and everything thereafter moves in that direction.

Self-fulfilling prophecy can be a serious thing. All you have eyes for is what you set out to see. And all this is even assuming that the human heart is pure and good and would never engage in subterfuge (so no intentionally biased/ deceptive interpretations and conduct).   

Oh, please. Spare us the dime store psychology you’re engaging in to excuse your fundamental lack of understanding and knowledge.

• Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Hi Ajay

I can agree with most of your post and had earliier wondered about th OP title.  I do not see the relationship between nazi and nihilism given nazis seemed to think something mattered and were religious orientated in a sense. They did look for religious artifacts and interest in Christian mysticism

• Like 4

I was taught that the world was destroyed twice which is why god said he eould not destroy it again with either fire or water. Earth at one time was a place where angels came to for recreation and was destroyed during the war with god which would predate humans  so it had to be here before 6000 years ago going by your dating and belief.

Is this from apocrypha? Nothing about it in the Biblical writings 

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hi Read

I guess it is a perception issue for you which is why many of us are suggesting that you should familiarize yourself with what science actually is and does. It is a self correcting means of underdstanding of the world we live in.

I see you are still avoiding addressing my question about cities and cultures that pre-exist your creation timeframe. I am interested in that specifically which is why I have brought it up a few times.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

So you still don't get the whole "science" thing. There isn't much room for error and the molecular clock is pretty damn accurate. 

And yes you have a lot of deceptive interpretations and bias.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

First questions first. Have you ever actually read any Nietzsche?

While we’re at it, have you actually read the bible?

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hi Read

I was raised Catholic and that is what I was taught. Just like you I was taught things not in the bible by teachers with subjective interpretations. I turned away because of individual interpretations of what people thought god said, thought, or felt that I could see no support for in the bible.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

My problem is that, we cannot observe this (life having been existing for millions of years in the world) with our own eyes

Hi Read

To come back to this bit so don't get offended, there is a difference between reading and comprehending. When I have an intetest in something I study it write questions while reading to see if they are answered as I move on through the material presented. If I do not see them answered then I look further into other publications. Also the things I do not understand technically I study so I have a better understanding of data collected from credible sources.

To be frank I do not get the sense that you are willing to put the effort in to understanding/learning and will always have problems arguing subjects that you do not comprehend the scope of.

This place is a good place to get the tools to grow through learning that is why I joined this site because of it's diversity and the willingness to share what they know given they types of education and professions of members.

Some of them are still paying their student loans off to get that educatuon and sharing it here for free, how great is that.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Of course, it's important to approach both religious and scientific ideas with skepticism. Just as it is crucial to critically examine scientific theories and question them, it is also valuable to apply the same level of scrutiny to your own religious beliefs. This allows for a deeper understanding and a more coherent reliable, accurate worldview. Start there this is what needs your attention. Begin by actually reading Nietzsche. :P

Engaging in self-reflection and introspection helps individuals explore the reasons behind their religious beliefs. Taking the time to critically analyze the foundations of one's faith and seek a better understanding can lead to a more nuanced and well-rounded perspective. We have posters on here who serve as examples of those that prefer religion yet, at the same time understand and embrace science. 

It never means rejecting one's religious beliefs or disregarding science altogether, this is extremism. Rather, it's about embracing a mindset that allows for constant learning, evaluation, and integration of new information—to build a well-informed and coherent worldview.

It is really good that you research, now try applying the tools (knowledge) in real time and develop the skill set to offer counters that are comprehensive and that further the discussions. No one cares what you chose to believe, we care that you do your own learning and thinking and post your conclusions and the facts that support them. Please refine your understanding moving forward;

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 4:28 PM, XenoFish said:

And at the end, it doesn't matter one bit. 

Thanks for your opinion.

Who's to say that is actually the right view?

If the viewpoints of serial criminals and killers, mass murderers are considered incorrect, there obviously has to be a correct view as well. 

People imposed this supposed importance to a man that time would've forgotten.

Countries which are a few centuries old and have come up recently may not be aware of him much.

Some people are just hedonist. Even I see them as less human. 

Hedonism is not an issue until people decide to become unethical in the process and exploit or harm other people for greater pleasure.

It wasn't nihilism that caused them to lose, they stretched themselves to thin. They had purpose, a terrible one at that, but a direction none the less. It just got too big. 

Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor, philosopher and medical doctor specializing in neurology and psychiatry commented thus...

“If we present a man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present man as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind-machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drives and reactions, as a mere product of instinct, heredity and environment, we feed the nihilism to which modern man is, in any case, prone.

I became acquainted with the last stage of that corruption in my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. 

The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment; or as the Nazi liked to say, ‘of Blood and Soil.’

I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some Ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.”- Viktor Frankl

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, Sherapy said:

Personal testimonies of those self professing their own enlightenment are a dime a dozen, they are subjective and can only be taken on faith. While it works for you for me, without a way to test or verify the claims they are anecdotal. 

Enlightenment as a phenomenon has been studied for milleniums in eastern philosophy and is a subject of focussed study in buddhism, sufism,hinduism, jainism and sikhism.

This state has also been described by western spiritual masters like Eckhart Tolle, Gary Weber, Adyashanti, Jed Mckenna, Gangaji, David R. Hawkins, Amoda Ma Jeevan, Franklin Merrell Wolff, Mooji , Bernadette Roberts and so on. So obviously it has ceased to become an ancient eastern religious concept .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Hedonism is not an issue until people decide to become unethical in the process and exploit or harm other people for greater pleasure.

Hedonism is always the problem. It's worse than nihilism. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Enlightenment as a phenomenon has been studied for milleniums in eastern philosophy and is a subject of focussed study in buddhism, sufism,hinduism, jainism and sikhism.

This state has also been described by western spiritual masters like Eckhart Tolle, Gary Weber, Adyashanti, Jed Mckenna, Gangaji, David R. Hawkins, Amoda Ma Jeevan, Franklin Merrell Wolff, Mooji , Bernadette Roberts and so on. So obviously it has ceased to become an ancient eastern religious concept .

First of all you have been misled and in turn are trying to mislead, the facts are any subjective claim of enlightenment is difficult if not impossible to prove empirically at this time, due to the fact, these are subjective claims that vary depending on the person and due to the complexity of consciousness.

Yet, there is good research on meditation. I worked for a Neurologist who was involved in research and the following are the who and what of the current trends in the research on meditation and the effects of positive emotions. To date these researchers have made significant contributions to our understanding of the brain, meditation, and the effects of spiritual practices on well-being. Their research sheds light on the potential neurobiological correlates of practices like meditation and highlights the benefits of cultivating positive mental states.

Richard Davidson is a neuroscientist known for his research on the neuroscience of emotions, well-being, and meditation. He has conducted numerous studies using neuroimaging techniques to investigate the effects of meditation practices on the brain. Davidson's research has shown that long-term meditation practitioners exhibit increased activation in brain regions associated with positive emotions, emotional resilience, attention, and empathy. He has also studied the impact of meditation on stress reduction and mental health.

Andrew Newberg is a neuroscientist who has focused his research on the effects of religious and spiritual practices on the brain. He has utilized techniques such as functional brain imaging and neurophysiology to examine the neural correlates of religious experiences, meditation, and prayer. Newberg's research has shown that during religious or spiritual practices, certain brain regions are activated, leading to altered states of consciousness, heightened focused attention, and feelings of transcendence.

Matthieu Ricard, a Buddhist monk and writer, has collaborated with scientists to study the effects of meditation on mental well-being and brain activity. He has participated in neuroscience research, including studies conducted by Richard Davidson. Ricard has been recognized as having one of the highest levels of brain activity associated with positive emotions observed in scientific studies. His research contributions have contributed to the understanding of the potential benefits of meditation and cultivation of positive states of mind.

Let’s look at a few names on your list with some simplified explanations of the subjective “differences” in their claims of enlightenment. 

Eckhart Tolle, known for his book "The Power of Now," describes enlightenment as a state of presence and being fully present in the present moment. He emphasizes the importance of transcending the egoic mind and identifying with the deeper essence of consciousness. Tolle's teachings often focus on practices such as mindfulness and surrendering to the present moment.

David R. Hawkins, author of "Power vs. Force" and creator of the Map of Consciousness, presents a hierarchical framework to measure levels of consciousness. According to Hawkins, enlightenment represents the highest level of consciousness, characterized by feelings such as peace, joy, and unconditional love. For him, enlightenment transcends dualistic thinking and involves a shift towards unity and compassion.

Gangaji, a spiritual teacher, emphasizes self-inquiry as a means to uncover one's true nature. She describes enlightenment as the recognition of one's inherent boundless awareness or true self. Gangaji's teachings often encourage deep introspection and inquiry into the nature of the self to discover the timeless presence beyond personal identity.

Bernadette Roberts, an author and Christian mystic, offers a unique perspective on enlightenment. She describes a state of "no-self," where the individual transcends even the sense of being an individual self or ego. Roberts explores the stages of spiritual growth, including the birth of a separate self, the journey to union with God, and eventually reaching the state of no-self.

Claims of enlightenment are subjective and can only be take on faith. Please stand corrected moving forward. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

there obviously has to be a correct view as well. 

And who dictates this correct way? People do. 

7 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Viktor Frankl

In the context of Mr. Frankl's experience it make sense to it nihilism, yet it isn't. It was about the meaningless slaughter of human lives. Done out of ideological reasons. Again it comes down to the horrible purpose that was being enacted. Which isn't nihilism.

Nihilism is a negation. An angry nihilist is one who seeks meaning, the depressed nihilist knows that no true meaning can be found, the optimistic nihilist (or absurdist / think Camus) has gone through the abyss and decided to live despite there being no meaning to it all. 

I consider the goal of buddhism to be nihilistic in nature. By letting go of all attachments there is no belief, no faith, nothing. It is nihilism. 

As someone who's gone through a nihilistic stage of my life. I can honestly say that even suicide is meaningless, as it solves nothing, and achieves nothing as well. And death will come naturally. While my personal view of reality is seen as a negative. When you have nothing to believe in, there are a lot less mental shackles to bind you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2