Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taylor Swift: Australia to host academic conference on pop icon

Still Waters

Australia is set to hold a world-first international academic symposium on the impact of Taylor Swift.

The "Swiftposium" will explore the megastar's influence on everything from the music industry to culture and the economy.

Organisers of the three-day event hope it will draw researchers from across the Asia-Pacific region.

It will be held in February - the same week Swift brings her record-breaking Eras Tour to Australia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66875220

• Like 4

It would be interesting if they discover why she is so popular.

Between her team of next-level pop song writers, and her relatively weak voice, I don’t understand what all the hype is about.

But it’s not musically impressive. I don’t understand all the “she is the greatest songwriter of our generation” stuff.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I don't mind her at all, although not a fan particularly I only know her most famous songs. The impression I get when she's being interviewed is she's a nice person with a down to earth character. Fame doesn't appear to have gone to her head and I think she's quite a good performer. I've watched clips of her concerts on YouTube sometimes to pass the time. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Between her team of next-level pop song writers, and her relatively weak voice, I don’t understand what all the hype is about.

But it’s not musically impressive. I don’t understand all the “she is the greatest songwriter of our generation” stuff.

You should listen to my wife talk about T swift. She's a huge fan lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

You have my sincere condolences.  I know good psych counselors a good divorce lawyer if you need help. :no:

TS is the female Kanye imo.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, pellinore said:

I don’t understand all the “she is the greatest songwriter of our generation” stuff.

Maybe of her generation, the music in general today is rubbish. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Swiftposium: Inside a world-first Taylor Swift academic summit

From the moment she slipped the Fearless record into her CD player as a 14-year-old, Georgia Carroll has been fascinated by Taylor Swift.

A decade and a half on, she's now touted as the only person in the world with a PhD on the superstar.

And this week she's among scores of experts who have descended on Melbourne for an international academic symposium attempting to explain just how Swift has become so powerful and influential.

The event - the first of its kind - is a curtain raiser to the Eras Tour in Australia, and has attracted more than 400 submissions from dozens of study disciplines and academic institutions around the world - sparking a flurry of excitement and global headlines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68271324

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 11:18 AM, Still Waters said:

Australia is set to hold a world-first international academic symposium on the impact of Taylor Swift.

The "Swiftposium" will explore the megastar's influence on everything from the music industry to culture and the economy.

Organisers of the three-day event hope it will draw researchers from across the Asia-Pacific region.

It will be held in February - the same week Swift brings her record-breaking Eras Tour to Australia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66875220

Gag a maggot! 🤢

• Thanks 2

On 9/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, spartan max2 said:

On 2/12/2024 at 4:37 PM, Still Waters said:

Swiftposium: Inside a world-first Taylor Swift academic summit

From the moment she slipped the Fearless record into her CD player as a 14-year-old, Georgia Carroll has been fascinated by Taylor Swift.

It's mostly females who are Swifties. I was reading that young girls are behind the success of Ariana Grande and Lindsey Stirling (I like her). I guess they see them as role models- cute, sassy, successful, etc. 

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3

All the coaching, marketing, & hype in the world can’t create genuine talent.     *pose*    **pose**      *pose*         She is a commercial product…that unthinking tasteless people buy. ?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Her concert is predicted to boost local industry in Australia by up to a billion dollars. Lowers estimates are 130 million. 

Taylor Swift's Presence Sparks Economic Boom: The Rise of 'Taylornomics'

This phenomenon, dubbed as Taylornomics by the Wall Street Journal, reveals the tangible, positive impact Swift's presence has on local economies, including the skyrocketing sales of Travis Kelce's jerseys and a surge in ticket prices for Kansas City Chiefs' games.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp5yrGtPcDmMawHAyIAxe

Couldn't be worse than the two main candidates right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:25 AM, pellinore said:

Maybe it's not the best generation to pick for music? :unsure2:

Our parents thought the same of rock n roll. It's just today. 

• Like 1

As an old f..rt, I wouldn't listen to her songs if she was playing outside my balcony, actually i'd probably call the authorites to shut her up.  As far as music goes prime was in the late 70's and 80's but prefer the bands from the early 70's like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the likes.  The best gig she would get if she was playing music back in those days was busking on a street corner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

As an old f..rt, I wouldn't listen to her songs if she was playing outside my balcony, actually i'd probably call the authorites to shut her up.  As far as music goes prime was in the late 70's and 80's but prefer the bands from the early 70's like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and the likes.  The best gig she would get if she was playing music back in those days was busking on a street corner.

I wish she would do a performance outside my balcony. Have you seen her? She's gorgeous. 

I like new music. I listen to the hottest 100 every year. There's always good stuff. 

You're a led zep fan like me, have you heard of Greta Van fleet? If so, what do you think? 

If not, what do you think:

I'm a fan. They are the new Zeppelin.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I wish she would do a performance outside my balcony. Have you seen her? She's gorgeous. 

I like new music. I listen to the hottest 100 every year. There's always good stuff. 

You're a led zep fan like me, have you heard of Greta Van fleet? If so, what do you think? 

Yeah, they're good.  You can hear many good covers of famous guitar solo's these days on youtube such as Ritchie Blackmore's one in Highway Star or others from David Gilmore, Jimmy Page and the likes.  But back in the 70's, especially the British bands, were innovators and ahead of their time as far as musical Pop and Rock talent goes IMO.  There's nothing like the originals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Red Devil said:

Yeah, they're good.  You can hear many good covers of famous guitar solo's these days on youtube such as Ritchie Blackmore's one in Highway Star or others from David Gilmore, Jimmy Page and the likes.  But back in the 70's, especially the British bands, were innovators and ahead of their time as far as musical Pop and Rock talent goes IMO.  There's nothing like the originals. 

It's not a cover bro. 

They have a couple albums out all originals. 

There is just so much out there these days that so many good artists get buried. 

A lot of people think Xavier is just a ballad guy, but he is so much more..

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 10:28 PM, psyche101 said:

Geno Leonardo from Filter and Maker isn't bad and kind of "Zeppelinny" too. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 10:54 PM, Black Red Devil said:

Perfect Strangers was a favorite of my wife and I and Blackmore's Rainbow with Dio...not Joe Lynn Turner.....who really isn't bad....just not Ronnie James. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 8:47 AM, Piney said:

Perfect Strangers was a favorite of my wife and I and Blackmore's Rainbow with Dio...not Joe Lynn Turner.....who really isn't bad....just not Ronnie James. 

Hi Piney, yeah I liked Perfect Strangers as I liked most of their riffs and songs.  I didn't follow Rainbow that much cause I had the impression it was all about Ritchie, while the Deep Purple were a complete band with all talente musicians.

• Thanks 1