Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Decades of Work End in Major Antimatter Discovery

Grim Reaper 6

In our current world, antimatter is all but impossible to find, making a big discovery regarding it equally big news. The finding is that, like matter, antimatter falls in response to gravity. The BBC explains why that determination—one predicted by Albert Einstein—well, matters: "During the Big Bang, matter and antimatter should have combined and cancelled each other, leaving nothing but light. In the first few moments after the Big Bang, matter somehow got the upper hand, and some scientists have speculated that their respective relationships to gravity might be the linchpin. What they don't yet know is whether antimatter falls at the same rate as matter.

The study, published in Nature, was conducted at the CERNlab in Switzerland, where over decades of work, scientists have produce antiprotons and positrons that are directed into a giant magnet, where they combine to form thousands of atoms of antihydrogen, the antimatter counterpart to hydrogen, the simplest atom. The magnet creates a field that traps the antihydrogen; when that field is shut off, the freed antihydrogen atoms do what they will—and as sensors determined, they fell down, not up.

https://www.newser.com/story/340704/scientists-make-a-key-antimatter-discovery.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=nordot&utm_campaign

Observation of the effect of gravity on the motion of antimatter: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06527-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And so another wild idea passes away. Gravity affects everything. Even antimatter. 

You know what the CT'ers will say though? Hasn't been done with anti-helium, or anti-lithium.....

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So anti-gravity vehicles/devices could actually be a thing in the future.

Not with antmatter. They just said antimatter obeys the laws of gravity, which wasn't a suprise, but that it had to be tested to be sure.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

And so another wild idea passes away. Gravity affects everything. Even antimatter. 

You know what the CT'ers will say though? Hasn't been done with anti-helium, or anti-lithium.....

What's a CTer and why would lithium be different?

5 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

Not with antmatter. They just said antimatter obeys the laws of gravity, which wasn't a suprise, but that it had to be tested to be sure.

I misread something

3 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

Conspiracy theorist

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

Conspiracy Theorist.

Anti-Lithium wouldn't be different. But ignorant people might argue it might be, even saying it is... because they did not test it.

To them, lack of testing equals proof of their conspiricy theory.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Up&Down are completely relative?   Which way is UP for an object orbiting another object?  …like the moon orbiting the earth?    ‘Up’ would always be toward the center of the earth’s mass.  ?       But ,orbits are weird…there has to be more going on than a simple (nearly perfect)  balancing act between the two forces of gravity and momentum.   Some unknown stabilizing field    ???    Space is thicker than it looks. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Conspiracy Theorist.

Anti-Lithium wouldn't be different. But ignorant people might argue it might be, even saying it is... because they did not test it.

To them, lack of testing equals proof of their conspiricy theory.

It's like not finding bifoot equals proof that bifoot exist ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

To a CT'er, lack of 100% proof is itself sufficient support for believing a CT idea. For example, the Moon landing hoax theory.

Your Bigfoot example is perfect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I read an article a while ago about the importance of an experiment like this.  I can't remember all the details but while it wasn't expected that anti-matter would fall up, which was a possibility, the real question was if anti-matter would fall at the same rate as matter or at a different rate.  Like I said I can't remember all the details, but there was something that it was possible that anti-matter falls at twice the rate of matter due to it possibly interacting with gravity stronger then regular matter.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

If you had read the article in the OP, you would see that it has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

I read an article a while ago about the importance of an experiment like this.  I can't remember all the details but while it wasn't expected that anti-matter would fall up, which was a possibility, the real question was if anti-matter would fall at the same rate as matter or at a different rate.  Like I said I can't remember all the details, but there was something that it was possible that anti-matter falls at twice the rate of matter due to it possibly interacting with gravity stronger then regular matter.

Anti-matter, as stated, is "simply" matter whose electrons and protons have opposite charge (the electron, instead of having the common negative charge has instead a positive charge << now called a positron >>... and the proton would instead have a negative charge << now called an anti-proton >>)

Charge does not determine how gravity affects it (that's the role of the Higgs field and its associated Higgs bosons), so that's why it's of no surprise.

So, manipulating charge would not affect its gravitational qualities, but manipulating the local Higgs field would... theoretically.

------

Edit: last statements changed from Higgs boson to Higgs field.

I hope I corrected this properly. Heady stuff.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

Charge does not determine how gravity affects it (that's the role of the Higgs field and its associated Higgs bosons), so that's why it's of no surprise.

Thank you for the clear and simply explanations.
On the other hand, If it was demonstrated that antimatter exhibits a repulsive response to gravity, it would signify the emergence of a previously undiscovered connection between the fundamental forces of gravity and electromagnetism, and a groundbreaking revelation could potentially pave the way for a unified theory of physics.

I eventually came to dislike the anti-gravity theory as a matter of propulsion in spacecrafts 
because when you are in space, there is no gravity to work with. Saving grace is that it would function on planet earth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Anti-matter, as stated, is "simply" matter whose electrons and protons have opposite charge (the electron, instead of having the common negative charge has instead a positive charge << now called a positron >>... and the proton would instead have a negative charge << now called an anti-proton >>)

So, manipulating charge would not affect its gravitational qualities, but manipulating the local Higgs field would... theoretically.

------

Edit: last statements changed from Higgs boson to Higgs field.

I hope I corrected this properly. Heady stuff.

I'm not sure I'm going to explain this very well but I'm going to try.

Experimenting to see if gravity effects anti-matter differently is more to try and solve a different problem, with the problem being where is all the anti-matter in the universe.  From our current understanding of physics when the big bang occured equal amounts of matter and anti-matter should of been created but from all our observations near 100% of what we see is matter and not anti-matter.  Ultimately we either got something wrong in our understanding of physics or there is something undiscovered and this experiment helps physicist verify that what we understand is correct as far as we know and there doesn't seem to be a hidden fifth fundamental force that effects this atleast.  This all starts getting into other stuff very quickly.

There is something in partical physics, I can't remember what it is, but when it decays it releases a matter and anti-matter particle but it's not quite 50/50, it's close but it just slightly favors matter and from last I heard it isn't understood why it's not 50/50.

Edited by DarkHunter

5 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Some make that claim!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

If you had read the article in the OP, you would see that it has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

Oh, I didn't read all of it. I read anti-hydrogen and moved on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I read the two quoted links again, and both specify anti-hydrogen was tested.

Can you post where the tested anti-helium also?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lightly said:

Up&Down are completely relative?   Which way is UP for an object orbiting another object?  …like the moon orbiting the earth?    ‘Up’ would always be toward the center of the earth’s mass.  ?       

I was watching a YouTube video the other day that made me think....

Why do we position all maps, and globes, with North as UP? It's only due to Euro-centrism, as looking at the world with Antarctica on top is really just as valid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I read the two quoted links again, and both specify anti-hydrogen was tested.

Can you post where the tested anti-helium also?

I think I made a mistake, I apologize, I meant to say Anit-helium sorry for the confusion man!:tu:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I was watching a YouTube video the other day that made me think....

Why do we position all maps, and globes, with North as UP? It's only due to Euro-centrism, as looking at the world with Antarctica on top is really just as valid. 

I also believe that maps and globes are positioned with north up because Magnetic North is what we used for years for navigation. While a compass is still a valid option that can be used for navigation, satellites (GPS) are much more accurate for any other form of global positioning today!!

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Asian maps also had north as up so north being associated with up isn't a Euro-centric thing.

The main reason it seems north is associated with up is due to most, but not all, ancient civilianizations being in the northern hemisphere and the north star being visible, easily identifiable, and is largely fixed in the night sky made it essentially a perfect way for every ancient civilization in the northern hemisphere to orient themselves which is important for travel, trade, and a lot of other things essential for civilization.

• Like 3

Edited by pallidin

Still speaking magnetically off topic ;     Our sun has N.& S. poles…which flip approx. every 11 years!    Our sun’s planets all have poles…tilted at various angles!    Apparently galaxies tilt at various angles too    (likely aligned to their magnetic fields?)    
      This image indicates that our galaxy has N.& S poles too !    (dunno if they flip/reverse periodically) 
image.jpeg.b109079ac5dd0dc09cec8162af91ad39.jpeg

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2