Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The guitar thread

OverSword

There is somewhere around here a guitar thread but for the life of me I can't find it so I'm starting a new one where we can discuss, ask question and share things guitar related.

@joc @'Walt' E. Kurtz @Liquid Gardens @Dejarma @Mr Guitar

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello OS, how's ya?.... Yeah I'll start it off:

recently spent tons of cash on 2 new guitars: strandberg boden prog 7 nx & a schecter reaper 6 fr s 

started using mcrocklin suite guitar software (in cubase)= incredible!

Now I've got the prog 7 I'm getting on writing & recording the fusion stuff I've been wanting to do:

writing orchestral/jazz/metal guitar stuff with a little ethereal & blues feel thrown in...

Nice thread, but only for a few of us I'd guess

• Like 3

Wish I could play guitar have tried several times but don’t seem to have the dexterity…idk?…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadowsfall said:

Wish I could play guitar have tried several times but don’t seem to have the dexterity…idk?…

It doesn't take a lot of dexterity really.  It just takes practice.  Practice makes talent.  There's a lot of muscle memory at work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

It doesn't take a lot of dexterity really.  It just takes practice.  Practice makes talent.  There's a lot of muscle memory at work.

the love for what you're doing makes you play..

I loved the sound & the feelings I got when I was 4/5 years old when I first had a guitar in my hands (over 60 years ago now)

if you love something you'll carry on because you've no choice- it's in the blood ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Hello OS, how's ya?.... Yeah I'll start it off:

recently spent tons of cash on 2 new guitars: strandberg boden prog 7 nx & a schecter reaper 6 fr s 

started using mcrocklin suite guitar software (in cubase)= incredible!

Now I've got the prog 7 I'm getting on writing & recording the fusion stuff I've been wanting to do:

writing orchestral/jazz/metal guitar stuff with a little ethereal & blues feel thrown in...

Nice thread, but only for a few of us I'd guess

I just watched a 2 minute video on the strandberg...nice!  Looked at the reaper as well...nice!  And yeah, I just had to check out the mcrocklin suite guitar software.  Nice!  

I have just been playing...no recording because...while I thought I was getting the hang of Pro Tools pretty well...ugh...I can't find any of my music...I'm just kind of lost.  I want to record so bad but...what's the point if I can't rely on it all being there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

the love for what you're doing makes you play..

I loved the sound & the feelings I got when I was 4/5 years old when I first had a guitar in my hands (over 60 years ago now)

if you love something you'll carry on because you've no choice- it's in the blood ;)

That is so true!  I play every day...I'm playing right now while I'm typing this!  (well, I'm typing...but..yeah that would be a trick!)

• Like 1

Lived it and breathed it for 63 years - guitar and pedal steel but winding down as there are no gigs around my area. Probably be selling out soon as I just don't need them anymore. Martin 000-18, a couple very fine hand built Brook guitars from the UK and a bunch of my own hand built Telecasters along with a very nice Evans RE200 amp and a Quilter 101R head with Ear Candy 'Mr Watts' cabinet. I don't use pedals (other than an Earthquake Systems Dispatch Master for some delay when I play Chet Atkins stuff) as I learned to play guitar because I liked the sound of the guitar, not a bunch of electronics. Will hate to part with the stuff but I'm not one who can play for myself - just no reason to play unless it's a gig. I may try a solo assisted living gig if I can get an hour's worth of stuff together but I'm not strongly motivated to do  it. I've got a pretty good setup for recording (I use Reaper) but it mostly sits around unused.

Edited by Mr Guitar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Guitar said:

Lived it and breathed it for 63 years - guitar and pedal steel but winding down as there are no gigs around my area. Probably be selling out soon as I just don't need them anymore. Martin 000-18, a couple very fine hand built Brook guitars from the UK and a bunch of my own hand built Telecasters along with a very nice Evans RE200 amp and a Quilter 101R head with Ear Candy 'Mr Watts' cabinet. I don't use pedals (other than an Earthquake Systems Dispatch Master for some delay when I play Chet Atkins stuff) as I learned to play guitar because I liked the sound of the guitar, not a bunch of electronics. Will hate to part with the stuff but I'm not one who can play for myself - just no reason to play unless it's a gig. I may try a solo assisted living gig if I can get an hour's worth of stuff together but I'm not strongly motivated to do  it.

I had my truck in the shop a few weeks back.  Took them several hours so...I took an Uber ride to Guitar Center down the road and just sit in the acoustic room...I played several Martins and a few Taylors.  I really like Martins.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

not sure what you mean by ^this^

I mean I have several songs that I had been working on but...it's like...they are just gone...I cannot find the session files on my computer...they don't seem to be in Play Tools sessions either or anywhere.  Maybe they are and I just don't know how to find them.  Idk

4 minutes ago, joc said:

I mean I have several songs that I had been working on but...it's like...they are just gone...I cannot find the session files on my computer...they don't seem to be in Play Tools sessions either or anywhere.  Maybe they are and I just don't know how to find them.  Idk

deleted

Edited by Dejarma

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

when recording individual audio tracks did you give names to the tracks in protools?

sorry i hit quote rather than edit! & there's me wondering why i never got on in the music business :blush:

i'm a reasonably good player but no brain:D

Edited by Dejarma
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

sorry i hit quote rather than edit! & there's me wondering why i never got on in the music business :blush:

I am really at a loss...I never delete anything...maybe I need to do some Pro Tools research.  I am sure I will figure it out.  If I did delete them...I want to know how so I don't do it again. 

But, on another note.  Calluses.  I have been filing down my calluses...not too much but they are just so rough...and my nails grow so fast.  I am good with clipping my nails on my left hand...but I have to be really careful not to cut them to short on my right hand.  Playing guitar is such a pain in the ass!  lol

12 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

when recording individual audio tracks did you give names to the tracks in protools?

yes I name everything...and I've opened everything.  

1 minute ago, joc said:

yes I name everything...and I've opened everything.  

i can only assume you've done a deep search on the 'audio files' you've created?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

i can only assume you've done a deep search on the 'audio files' you've created?

Yes...but you know...I'm not the most computer literate guy on the planet.  So...maybe there is just something I'm missing.  I'm going to see if I can find Wavy Waynes video on Where Did My Songs Go?   He is like my Pro Tools guru on you tube.

4 minutes ago, joc said:

Yes...but you know...I'm not the most computer literate guy on the planet.  So...maybe there is just something I'm missing.  I'm going to see if I can find Wavy Waynes video on Where Did My Songs Go?   He is like my Pro Tools guru on you tube.

have you lost the actual protools sessions? ya know, when you start a new song you give it a name i take it?

Edited by Dejarma

9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

have you lost the actual protools sessions? ya know, when you start a new song you give it a name i take it?

Yes...entire songs with lots of tracks.  I name them. I just can't find them.  It's crazy!  

1 minute ago, joc said:

Yes...entire songs with lots of tracks.  I name them. I just can't find them.  It's crazy!  

is there a pull down that says something like recent projects?

Just now, Dejarma said:

is there a pull down that says something like recent projects?

yes...they aren't there.  There are a lot of songs in there but not the one's I have been recently working on.

5 minutes ago, joc said:

yes...they aren't there.  There are a lot of songs in there but not the one's I have been recently working on.

in my 25+ years of working with dig recording tech i'm stumped, i've no idea what to suggest my friend

though you can run protools on windows, i assume you're on a mac?

Edited by Dejarma

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

in my 25+ years of working with dig recording tech i'm stumped, i've no idea what to suggest my friend

Been doing some research and I think it might be a storage issue on my computer.  I noticed on the Recents pop up box it says in very small print  0% storage

Probably there is a lot of stuff on the cloud...but I can't access it because I don't have enough memory on my hard drive. 

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it! 

no worries mate, my pleasure but I'm confused:

when saving you must get the option on where to save? Why save to cloud?

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

no worries mate, my pleasure but I'm confused:

when saving you must get the option on where to save? Why save to cloud?

I haven't ever saved anything to the cloud.  I'm confused too.  Oh well, maybe a clearer head will prevail tomorrow.