Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Major UK retail bosses plead for staff protection as ‘violent criminals empty stores’


Still Waters

Recommended Posts

Almost 90 retail leaders, including the bosses of Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Boots and WH Smith, have written to the government demanding action on rising retail crime, in which violent criminals are “emptying stores”.

The retailers, who also include the bosses of Aldi, Primark and Superdrug, call for the creation of a new UK-wide aggravated offence of assaulting or abusing a retail worker – as already exists in Scotland – which would carry tougher sentences and require police to record all incidents of retail crime and allow the allocation of more resources.

“The police consistently tell us that a lack of data about these offences means they have no visibility about the nature or scale of the issue,” the letter says.

The 88 retail bosses have asked for a meeting with the home secretary, Suella Braverman, to discuss the issue after a meeting with the minister for crime, Chris Philp, led to the promise to develop an action plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/01/major-uk-retail-bosses-plead-for-staff-protection-as-violent-criminals-empty-stores

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Looks like they need to increase their security.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although there is likely a connection to increasing costs it also coincides with the introduction of self checkouts in the UK and reduced staffing levels. 

This can't be a coincidence. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Although there is likely a connection to increasing costs it also coincides with the introduction of self checkouts in the UK and reduced staffing levels. 

This can't be a coincidence. 

 

I'd agree that makes sense for a rise in shoplifting (and likely the big supermarkets know they lose less to theft than the cost of staffing checkouts). But this seems to be about violent criminals where they threaten/assault staff while committing the theft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Setton said:

I'd agree that makes sense for a rise in shoplifting (and likely the big supermarkets know they lose less to theft than the cost of staffing checkouts). But this seems to be about violent criminals where they threaten/assault staff while committing the theft.

Yes, this is particularly about violent thieves. I think stores should employ security to get people's ID and or credit card details when they enter a large store (not convenience shops, ofc).

Edited by pellinore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Almost 90 retail leaders, including the bosses of Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Boots and WH Smith, have written to the government demanding action on rising retail crime, in which violent criminals are “emptying stores”.

The retailers, who also include the bosses of Aldi, Primark and Superdrug, call for the creation of a new UK-wide aggravated offence of assaulting or abusing a retail worker – as already exists in Scotland – which would carry tougher sentences and require police to record all incidents of retail crime and allow the allocation of more resources.

“The police consistently tell us that a lack of data about these offences means they have no visibility about the nature or scale of the issue,” the letter says.

The 88 retail bosses have asked for a meeting with the home secretary, Suella Braverman, to discuss the issue after a meeting with the minister for crime, Chris Philp, led to the promise to develop an action plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/01/major-uk-retail-bosses-plead-for-staff-protection-as-violent-criminals-empty-stores

When I was younger I worked at a retail store which I wont name.

A guy took a pair of trainers to our customer service desk wanting a refund. He had no receipt. With trainers we did something secret to them allowing us to tell if they had been purchased at our store when there was no receipt. They hadn`t been. The assistant on the customer service desk rejected the trainers. 

An argument started, security got called, the security guard ended up asking him to leave, where upon he called him a racist name. So the security guard got hold off him and dragged him off to the front door. The guy then stood at the door shouting every racial insult under the sun at him. So the security guard got hold of him, dragged him back inside, and gave him a beating.

When the police turned up the CCTV tape had vanished. No charges pressed. And our store refused to sack him over it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, Setton said:

I'd agree that makes sense for a rise in shoplifting (and likely the big supermarkets know they lose less to theft than the cost of staffing checkouts). But this seems to be about violent criminals where they threaten/assault staff while committing the theft.

I could well believe a local increase in gang culture is contributing to this problem also.

I wonder if the new law in Scotland "aggravated offence of assaulting or abusing a retail worker" is making a difference in reducing problem? 

If I was brave I might also be interested in knowing the ethnic background of the criminals involved, have they had recent experience of piloting a dingy over a large expanse of open water for example. :whistle: ;) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.