Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Name of the Beast

Bluefinger

17 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

That 'fairytale' is older than many history books today. That should count for something.  

The fallacy you are using is appeal to antiquity, also called the appeal to tradition or argumentum ad antiquitatem. This fallacy occurs when someone argues that because something is old or has been believed for a long time, it must be true or valuable. However, the age of an idea or belief does not make it valid or reliable.

In the statement you provided, you suggest that the age of a fairytale should grant it some degree of credibility. This implies that simply because a fairytale is old, it should hold value or be worthy of consideration. However, the age of a fairytale does not guarantee its accuracy or truthfulness. This approach disregards the need for critical evaluation and empirical evidence, which are essential elements in establishing the validity of information.

In order to properly evaluate the credibility of any information, it is important to rely on evidence, reasoning, and critical thinking rather than just accepting something based on its age or tradition.

• Thanks 7

39 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The fallacy you are using is appeal to antiquity, also called the appeal to tradition or argumentum ad antiquitatem. This fallacy occurs when someone argues that because something is old or has been believed for a long time, it must be true or valuable. However, the age of an idea or belief does not make it valid or reliable.

In the statement you provided, you suggest that the age of a fairytale should grant it some degree of credibility. This implies that simply because a fairytale is old, it should hold value or be worthy of consideration. However, the age of a fairytale does not guarantee its accuracy or truthfulness. This approach disregards the need for critical evaluation and empirical evidence, which are essential elements in establishing the validity of information.

In order to properly evaluate the credibility of any information, it is important to rely on evidence, reasoning, and critical thinking rather than just accepting something based on its age or tradition.

And that gets back to what I was saying about not knowing the origins of same. Effectively starting in the middle of a story acquires no validity of its own that the story is true, especially when the origins prove otherwise. 

cormac

• Thanks 4

What is the name of the beast?

I'm gonna go for, Cryil.

Its always the quiet ones you have to look-out for!!!

13 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And that gets back to what I was saying about not knowing the origins of same. Effectively starting in the middle of a story acquires no validity of its own that the story is true, especially when the origins prove otherwise. 

cormac

Not knowing the historical or cultural background of the stories doesn't help either.

• Thanks 7

Just now, Piney said:

Not knowing the historical or cultural background of the stories doesn't help either.

You mean the latest narrative?

4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

You mean the latest narrative?

Projecting again? 

• Thanks 5

Just now, Piney said:

Projecting again? 

Only the truth/GOD.

• Haha 5

On 10/6/2023 at 1:42 AM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I am also retired US Army, thank you very much for your service in our Nation's Military!!:tu:

According to most Christians today, what the bible calls the end times, Do, you think that Donald Trump is a false profit or is he the Beast in all his glory?

No. Being offensive and calous doesn't make you "the beast", in fact it is very unlike the clever suave charismatic personality that we would expect. Also he wasn't bad I mean in all honesty it's not like he did as bad of a job as biden...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

What is the name of the beast?

I'm gonna go for, Cryil.

81vjta.jpg

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

George Carlin refuted that convincingly. 

“It’s the quiet ones you gotta watch”… this sounds like a dangerous assumption to me.

Suppose you’re in a diner, and there’s a guy at a table in a corner reading a book; then there’s another guy up front banging a machete on the counter yelling “I’ll kill the next motherf’er that comes in here!”

Who ya gonna watch? 

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Only the truth/GOD.

Filbert called and asked that you quit using his name all willey nilley, with all the billions of people just on earth alone he has to ignore he’s getting quite a headache from all the simps decrying ‘god is truth’, ‘wait till god burns you for eternity for not believing’, and ‘why the heck cant I have a ham and crab meat on rye you blimey b@stard!’. 

Oh and on another note, the all mighty Filbert is going nuts over his fan base claiming he watches you touching your no no bits or sleeping with another consenting adult. All praise Filbert and his equally nutty wife Karen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newbloodmoon said:

Filbert called and asked that you quit using his name all willey nilley, with all the billions of people just on earth alone he has to ignore he’s getting quite a headache from all the simps decrying ‘god is truth’, ‘wait till god burns you for eternity for not believing’, and ‘why the heck cant I have a ham and crab meat on rye you blimey b@stard!’. 

Oh and on another note, the all mighty Filbert is going nuts over his fan base claiming he watches you touching your no no bits or sleeping with another consenting adult. All praise Filbert and his equally nutty wife Karen.

image.jpeg.f66f5905c239f2afaa414ba7a8ec24b6.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
On 10/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, Sherapy said:

Just to be fair, the idea that just because some ideas are newer, they are more correct is also a fallacy. Both appeals are illogical.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, C L Palmer said:

Just to be fair, the idea that just because some ideas are newer, they are more correct is also a fallacy. Both appeals are illogical.

Thanks for the add on.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Blue

The mark of the beast isn't 666 though, it is 616. 

I did hear an interesting theory recently that it should be 666 due to Biblical numerology with “7” being considered the Holy Number, the Antichrist therefore would have fallen short of being Holy three times, thus 666. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I did hear an interesting theory recently that it should be 666 due to Biblical numerology with “7” being considered the Holy Number, the Antichrist therefore would have fallen short of being Holy three times, thus 666. 

Hi SirWoH

That could be I was taught 1 is the number of god 5 the number of man 6 the number of Satan and 7 the number of Christ. None of it means anything to me now and just use numbers for work.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

There is indeed a possibility that The number of the Beast was related to Rome and as mentioned the year of Julius Cesar.

Further down, the Bible was saying that this beast was sitting over 7 hills which truly makes Italy the rightful candidate. 

https://theromanguy.com/italy-travel-blog/rome/what-are-the-seven-hills-of-rome/

The problem is if that apocalypse had already happened nearly 2000 years ago, where does curent time translate in the Bible ?

Edited by qxcontinuum

Another perspective:

The ‘end times’ scenario appears to now be playing out as described in the Bible, but keep in mind that belief in God isn’t required for that to happen.

The major players in the world seem to be following a script inspired by the Bible, but in a secular way. Muslims, Jews and Christians are all expecting a Messiah to arrive very soon, and I’m sure there are plenty of influential people willing to step into that role, politicians especially.

Look at how the political rhetoric has changed in recent years: Obama was given the moniker ‘Messiah’ by the media, and Trump called himself ‘The Chosen One’. In other words, the term ‘Messiah’ has been secularized and politicized.

I don’t think either Obama or Trump have enough persuasiveness to convince the world that they qualify for the role of a worldwide messiah, but if the world’s financial systems collapse, and someone arrives on the scene with the financial wisdom/expertise to avert disaster, the citizenry, in desperation, would jump at the chance to maintain the quality of life that we’re enjoying now, even to the point of pledging allegiance to that person and his control of the monetary system. 

27 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

There is indeed a possibility that The number of the Beast was related to Rome and as mentioned the year of Julius Cesar.

Further down, the Bible was saying that this beast was sitting over 7 hills which truly makes Italy the rightful candidate. 

https://theromanguy.com/italy-travel-blog/rome/what-are-the-seven-hills-of-rome/

The problem is if that apocalypse had already happened nearly 2000 years ago, where does curent time translate in the Bible ?

It doesn’t, the end times as setup in the Bible failed to occur as and when planned, leaving Christianity in a never-ending free-fall IMO. The Jewish take on Messiah and End Times depended on the physical destruction of Rome and the Romans which will never likely happen either. 

cormac

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, simplybill said:

The ‘end times’ scenario appears to now be playing out as described in the Bible,

The main issue I see with the claim that the end is near is that it could have been, and I think was, already claimed fairly constantly over the last 2 millennia and didn't happen.  Even Jesus thought 'the end' was imminent.  

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

The main issue I see with the claim that the end is near is that it could have been, and I think was, already claimed fairly constantly over the last 2 millennia and didn't happen.  Even Jesus thought 'the end' was imminent.  

You’re correct, and that’s why I used the words ‘appears to now be playing out’. 
As Jesus said, “No man knows the hour or the day”. I’ve always found it embarrassing when someone claims to have studied scripture and pinpointed the exact day of Jesus’ return, but judging by what I see happening in the world today, it now appears to me that many of the conditions spoken of in biblical end-times prophecies are gradually falling into place. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

One would think that if Jesus, who’s believed to be God incarnate by many, couldn’t get it right then mankind has no business trying to second guess Him. Go figure. 

cormac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

You’re correct, and that’s why I used the words ‘appears to now be playing out’. 
As Jesus said, “No man knows the hour or the day”. I’ve always found it embarrassing when someone claims to have studied scripture and pinpointed the exact day of Jesus’ return, but judging by what I see happening in the world today, it now appears to me that many of the conditions spoken of in biblical end-times prophecies are gradually falling into place. 

He did tell the Disciples in Matthew that it would come to pass in their lifetimes.

5 hours ago, simplybill said:

Another perspective:

The ‘end times’ scenario appears to now be playing out as described in the Bible, but keep in mind that belief in God isn’t required for that to happen.

The major players in the world seem to be following a script inspired by the Bible, but in a secular way. Muslims, Jews and Christians are all expecting a Messiah to arrive very soon, and I’m sure there are plenty of influential people willing to step into that role, politicians especially.

Look at how the political rhetoric has changed in recent years: Obama was given the moniker ‘Messiah’ by the media, and Trump called himself ‘The Chosen One’. In other words, the term ‘Messiah’ has been secularized and politicized.

I don’t think either Obama or Trump have enough persuasiveness to convince the world that they qualify for the role of a worldwide messiah, but if the world’s financial systems collapse, and someone arrives on the scene with the financial wisdom/expertise to avert disaster, the citizenry, in desperation, would jump at the chance to maintain the quality of life that we’re enjoying now, even to the point of pledging allegiance to that person and his control of the monetary system. 

Only Orthodox Jews and Evangelicals are waiting for a Messiah/ return.

Mainstream Christians believe he returned when the first church was laid (in your hearts). Reform Jews are waiting for a Messianic Age where no Messiah is needed and everyone gets along. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/6/2023 at 4:53 AM, Bluefinger said:

I have had time to engage in studying prophecy

how do you study prophecy?

• Thanks 1