Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby-Selling Case Ends With Wire Fraud Plea Deal

schadeaux

An Irvine woman once accused of running an international baby-selling operation was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for wire fraud and ordered to pay $5,000 in fines.

Marianne Gati, 54, said only, "Thank you," when U.S. District Judge Alicemarie Stotler let her address the court.

It was a quiet ending to a seven-year battle in which prosecutors struggled to build a baby-selling case.

The case made international headlines when federal authorities alleged that she had arranged the sale of as many as 30 Hungarian infants, some for as much as $80,000.

She also was sentenced to three years' probation.

Her husband, Thomas Gati, 52, was sentenced to a year's probation and fined $5,000. He pleaded guilty to having filed a tax return in 1994 that failed to disclose the adoption income.

Edited by Magikman

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schadeaux

• Kismit

• Magikman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a short article, Kismit. Here it is. Dunno why the link doesn't work, it works when I use it.

An Irvine woman once accused of running an international baby-selling operation was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for wire fraud and ordered to pay $5,000 in fines.

Marianne Gati, 54, said only, "Thank you," when U.S. District Judge Alicemarie Stotler let her address the court.

It was a quiet ending to a seven-year battle in which prosecutors struggled to build a baby-selling case.

The case made international headlines when federal authorities alleged that she had arranged the sale of as many as 30 Hungarian infants, some for as much as $80,000.

She also was sentenced to three years' probation.

Her husband, Thomas Gati, 52, was sentenced to a year's probation and fined $5,000. He pleaded guilty to having filed a tax return in 1994 that failed to disclose the adoption income.

(You're supposed to claim illegal income on your taxes????) blink.gif

Kismit,

The LATimes requires you to register before you can access their news. It's free, but it is a bit of a pain.

schadeaux,

I've edited your post to include the whole paragraph. That way no one would have to be bothered clicking on the article link and have to go through the registration process.

Thanks, MM. I didn't even think of that. I've gotten so used to Gator I forget I have to log in some places. I'll make a note.