Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alternative theory of gravity could explain evidence of Planet Nine

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Alternative theory of gravity could explain evidence of Planet Nine

Another theory! modified Newtonian dynamics. [shakes head]

I'd hate to be a physics major these days. So many new theories.

Here's MY theory, there is no dark energy/matter. It's all a figment of their imagination :)

This doesn't add up. If there is evidence of a tug that coincides with a 20,000 year orbit, "the pull of the entire milky way" doesn't fit. The bulk of the pull would only be on the side of the central mass of the galaxy, it would be easy to tell if the peturbance is always on that side. That timeframe doesn't match the sun's rotation or galactic orbit or anything like that. Saying "it's complicated" and not having a way for the theory to actually work... i don't buy it.

30 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

This doesn't add up. If there is evidence of a tug that coincides with a 20,000 year orbit, "the pull of the entire milky way" doesn't fit.

There isn't direct evidence of any such tug. The evidence is indirect, the orbits of several Kuiper Belt objects are grouped in such a way that one possible explanation is that they have been perturbed by an unknown planet.

Secondly the 20,000 year estimate is an upper limit, it could be considerably less than that, if it exists.

Is this another one of those things that might not exist based on things we can't prove? Modern science, cannae beat it......I'm being facetious btw.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, UM-Bot said:

Orbital inconsistancies indicative of a mysterious hidden planet in our solar system may have an alternative explanation.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/371327/alternative-form-of-gravity-could-explain-evidence-of-planet-nine

There is an old UK television documentary from the 1990s but it seems the copy I watched has long gone off YouTube.

Basically, in the 90s the European Space Agency put a satellite up to measure the strength of gravity at different points across the Earths surface. There are variations from place to place. Originally this was ruled as being due to different density of rock in the core from place to place. The thing is it couldn`t be tested as we cannot drill through the planet measuring the density of rock as we go along. 

Then a group of physicists realised what they can test is the rate at which the strength of gravity dies off. So they built a series of identical towers around the world, to identical heights, with identical air pressure inside. They dropped identical objects down them checking their accelerations matched each other and General Relativity. What they found is that they do not. They gained partial evidence that there are three forces of gravity. One acting over millimetres, one 100s of metres, and one potentially a universal scale. Since this the world seems to have forgotten all about this.

If gravity is a cumulative force (net sum of all three gravity forces) then because General Relativity would therefore be wrong there would be inconsistencies with the strength of gravity it predicts at extremes. And there is. Both at the microscopic and galactoscopic scales.