Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Moon may be 40 million years older than previously thought

UM-Bot

4 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A new analysis of samples collected during the Apollo 17 mission has raised new questions about the age of the Moon.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/371590/the-moon-may-be-40-million-years-older-than-previously-thought

I've given this a 'like', because it spurned me on to see if there is some significance to this. I can't actually see any.

'The general consensus among scientists has been that the Moon formed somewhere around 4.5 billion years ago (roughly 60 million years after the formation of the solar system), but now a new study has suggested that this date might not be entirely accurate and that the Moon actually formed roughly 40 million years earlier - making it slightly older than previously believed.'

I may be on my own with this, but I've never been kept awake worrying about the age of the moon, and 40 million years out of a total of 4.5 billion does not seen particularly significant anyway.

Edited by pellinore