Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What alien languages might sound like

Eldorado

"We know where to look. We know how to look." That's what then Nasa's chief scientist Ellen Stofan said in 2015 when she predicted we might find alien life within the following 10 years. Today, only two years from the end of that date range, researchers believe they may be tantalisingly close to finding evidence that extraterrestrial life might well exist on far off planets. But while there is no definitive proof as yet, some scientists believe it is something we should be preparing for.

So, what if we do discover life on another planet? And if it turns out to be intelligent, how might we communicate with our cosmic neighbours? Scientists are already beginning to ask what alien language might be like and if our species could ever hope to understand each other.

Full article: BBC Future

• Like 2

That's a nice thought experiment but nothing useful can really be said about it.  We haven't even figured out how to communicate with the most intelligent animals on earth after living with them for such a long time.

The made a nice movie out of it though :-) Arrival

• Like 1

So far, they don't seem to want to talk to us. I wonder if they sense the hostility of the sceptics. Yeah... I think that's it 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

So far, they don't seem to want to talk to us. I wonder if they sense the hostility of the sceptics. Yeah... I think that's it 

Something to consider, what if we are the most advanced intelligent life out there and any other intelligent life could be a 1000 years behind us?

Hollywood, sci fi books and other media makes us assume that we are primative animals relative to 'aliens'.

Edited by esoteric_toad
bad spelling
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

Something to consider, what if we are the most advanced intelligent life out there and any other intelligent life could be a 1000 years behind us?

Hollywood, sci fi books and other media makes us assume that we are primative animals relative to 'aliens'.

First of all, they got here before we got there :) 

Ya see, humans are generally so egocentric that many believe that Alien intelligent life began right around the time of the birth of the humans. Hogwash. 
I think life started in this galaxy many billions of years ago. Whereas homo sapien sapiens have only been around for a quarter million years. 

We are the embryos of this galaxy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Ya see, humans are generally so egocentric that many believe that Alien intelligent life began right around the time of the birth of the humans. Hogwash. 
I think life started in this galaxy many billions of years ago. Whereas homo sapien sapiens have only been around for a quarter million years. 

Yet we have exactly zero evidence this is true.

Life does not necessarily equal intelligence,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

Yet we have exactly zero evidence this is true.

Life does not necessarily equal intelligence,

Mmmm...I'm not so sure about that.  All the writings and pictorials of the ancient Sumerians.  The mentions of other Gods in the Bible...especially in the book of Ezekiel.  The fact that pyramids are found all around the globe...and that every culture has a belief system of some kind of God.  The Giant Monoliths around the globe.  Ancient civilizations with incredible scientific and mathematical knowledge?  Building things that we have no idea at all how or why.  

I would say there is a lot more 'evidence' that there are Aliens who have visited the Earth than one might think.  Plus, the absolutely bizarreness of the creatures on this planet known as Human.  There are a lot of things that one could point to that make it a likely hood that we were in fact 'created' and that we didn't actually evolve the way the rest of the natural planet did.  Created...i.e. 'manufactured' by Aliens.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

What is there to talk about really?  I wouldn't want to talk to us either.  We are a detestable species.  I think they probably created us and we disappointed their expectations.  I think it is highly likely that all of the God stories are actually related to the Annanaki and/or other Alien races that have visited Earth on a regular basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Mmmm...I'm not so sure about that.  All the writings and pictorials of the ancient Sumerians.  The mentions of other Gods in the Bible...especially in the book of Ezekiel.  The fact that pyramids are found all around the globe...and that every culture has a belief system of some kind of God.  The Giant Monoliths around the globe.  Ancient civilizations with incredible scientific and mathematical knowledge?  Building things that we have no idea at all how or why.  

I would say there is a lot more 'evidence' that there are Aliens who have visited the Earth than one might think.  Plus, the absolutely bizarreness of the creatures on this planet known as Human.  There are a lot of things that one could point to that make it a likely hood that we were in fact 'created' and that we didn't actually evolve the way the rest of the natural planet did.  Created...i.e. 'manufactured' by Aliens.

Pyramids are very basic shapes.  A circular pyramid - a cone - is what kids in a playground first build.  A cone is the natural shape formed in an hourglass. 

Pyramids are not evidence of advanced technolgy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joc said:

"Easy" to build. Also the pyramid shapes you refer to were built throughout history and not during the same time (some separated by thousands of years). Depending on where you get your info there is nothing mystical about the buildings either. 

Personally I find ascribing 'aliens' to the various pyramids a bit racist. Basically aliens=pyramids means the cultures that did build them weren't capable of doing so without help....there is zero evidence of that being the case.

Good to see the religious fantasy writings of the past can be considered as "evidence" for some. Hilarious 🤣

The opinion that an alien race would be so far advanced is telling in how dismissive one is towards it's own species. Some humans are very curious creatures in that fashion. I wonder if bears or chickens develop the same self-loathing? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Pyramids are very basic shapes.  A circular pyramid - a cone - is what kids in a playground first build.  A cone is the natural shape formed in an hourglass. 

Pyramids are not evidence of advanced technolgy.

Pyramids are very basic shapes.  Why would a civilization invest all of their resources to build giant pyramids?  The building of them does suggest advanced technology.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

"Easy" to build. Also the pyramid shapes you refer to were built throughout history and not during the same time (some separated by thousands of years). Depending on where you get your info there is nothing mystical about the buildings either. 

Personally I find ascribing 'aliens' to the various pyramids a bit racist. Basically aliens=pyramids means the cultures that did build them weren't capable of doing so without help....there is zero evidence of that being the case.

Exactly...the pyramids were built throughout history all over the world.  Why?  Certainly wasn't a trendy thing to use all  your resources to build giant pyramids for no particular reason.  I don't think the cultures that had pyramids built them at all...I think they inherited them.  

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Embryos my ass.....

We are a first generation rocky planet with metals around a first generation unusually quiet yellow sun in a first generation spiral galaxy and our solar system just happened to be formed in a molecular cloud created by a neutron star collision giving us all those fancy metals needed for advanced technology. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"We know where to look. We know how to look." That's what then Nasa's chief scientist Ellen Stofan said in 2015 when she predicted we might find alien life within the following 10 years. Today, only two years from the end of that date range, researchers believe they may be tantalisingly close to finding evidence that extraterrestrial life might well exist on far off planets. But while there is no definitive proof as yet, some scientists believe it is something we should be preparing for.

So, what if we do discover life on another planet? And if it turns out to be intelligent, how might we communicate with our cosmic neighbours? Scientists are already beginning to ask what alien language might be like and if our species could ever hope to understand each other.

Full article: BBC Future

I think Lovecraft nailed it when explaining to one of his regular correspondents how to correctly pronounce the names of his cosmic deities.

He said that because the physical structure of alien bodies would be so entirely different from ours, human vocal cords could never authentically replicate the correct sounds to properly pronounce their language. The names in his stories were merely the closest possible approximation allowed by the limitations of human vocal cords. So Cthulhu for instance would actually sound closer to something like clg-cthlug-clg in its native language.

In short, if an alien race developed its own version of vocal cords the sounds that made up its language would most likely be completely unintelligible to our ears.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

The made a nice movie out of it though 🙂 Arrival

I always found the time-traveling language concept from 'Arrival' to be pretty interesting (though highly implausible).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

Exactly...the pyramids were built throughout history all over the world.  Why?  Certainly wasn't a trendy thing to use all  your resources to build giant pyramids for no particular reason.  I don't think the cultures that had pyramids built them at all...I think they inherited them.  

Yet again,  zero proof of this. 

On top of that they did have motivation to build those things.  Just because we cannot understand it doesn't make it impossible. 

Edited by esoteric_toad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, joc said:

What is there to talk about really?  I wouldn't want to talk to us either.  We are a detestable species.  I think they probably created us and we disappointed their expectations.  I think it is highly likely that all of the God stories are actually related to the Annanaki and/or other Alien races that have visited Earth on a regular basis.

Very interesting PoV, my friend. Yes, the stories of the Sumer people are most interesting. 

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Embryos my ass.....

We are a first generation rocky planet with metals around a first generation unusually quiet yellow sun in a first generation spiral galaxy and our solar system just happened to be formed in a molecular cloud created by a neutron star collision giving us all those fancy metals needed for advanced technology. 

hahaha, Piney, you be funny :)

When our solar system was first formed there already existed hundreds of billions of solar - some, billions of years old.

We be the slo-mo people 

2 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

Yet again,  zero proof of this. 

On top of that they did have motivation to build those things.  Just because we cannot understand it doesn't make it impossible. 

What was their motivation to build useless monuments?  You said they had motivation what was it?

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

hahaha, Piney, you be funny :)

When our solar system was first formed there already existed hundreds of billions of solar - some, billions of years old.

We be the slo-mo people 

Not with the right chemical composition. You need certain metals for life. 

Population III stars are mostly hydrogen and helium. They go boom create heavier elements and form population IIs  with more elements. They go boom and create population Is which have the metals to create life and I use the term "metals" in the biochemistry sense.

Population IIs which are the ones that you call "billions" of years old just don't have the elements to create any form of advanced life in their systems. 

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, joc said:

What was their motivation to build useless monuments?  You said they had motivation what was it?

Remember their beliefs in gods. Some of them believed their leaders were gods on earth. If a god tells you we need a pyramid you are not going to question it. If you are told that building a monument bigger and better will assure your future security then it would be something they would want to do. To them it wasn't just a silly pile of rocks. It was an assurance that the gods would look upon them favorably and they would reap the benefits of just that. If a god tells you that you must sacrifice people in order for the sun to come up you are going to sacrifice people. Thankfully (for the most part) those sort of beliefs have passed. To pretend that our sensibilities applied to people of those times is ludicrous. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not with the right chemical composition. You need certain metals for life. 

Population III stars are mostly hydrogen and helium. They go boom create heavier elements and form population IIs  with more elements. They go boom and create population Is which have the metals to create life and I use the term "metals" in the biochemistry sense.

Population IIs which are the ones that you call "billions" of years old just don't have the elements to create any form of advanced life in their systems. 

He's also conveniently omitting the outer gas giants that act as magnets for life destroying impact events, sparing earth for 100's of millions of years aiding evolution. Also, as you've pointed out in multiple threads, our beautiful (and unusually large for our size planet) tidally locked moon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3