Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists are building a device that can induce lucid dreams on demand

UM-Bot

It's possible the device works. Though I'm skeptical and want proof. There's been other lucid devices & nothing works 100%. It can "stabilize" lucid dreams? That's a bold statement, since so many things can go wrong. A prolonged lucid dream isn't easy to pull off. Anyway, this definitely peaks my interest.

Edited by Bed of chaos

A generous amount of Old Bay seasoning on canned tuna fish before bed usually works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

As someone who can induce lucid dream whenever he wants (discovered it about 20 years ago and not using for 20 years) I can tell that this brings 2 problems with it. I was unable to find something about it in any article I read about the device.

1. As we all know, dreams are a byproduct of our brains sorting and processing everything that happened during the day, short them memory becomes long term memory and so on. As I discovered that I can induce lucid dreams whenever I want, I did it for a week every night. After that week, I noticed that my brain was slow. I slept enough, but my brain (and with that the rest of my body) felt like I didn’t sleep for days (I knew the feeling as I once worked for 5 days and nights without a break or a second of sleep). I couldn't explain it, I even got worried that something could be wrong with my brain (as an IT guy, a nightmare). Then I fell asleep (my brain was too tired). As it wasn’t planning on sleeping, I didn’t induce the lucid dream “stage”. I woke up 24 hours later, had the most horrifying nightmares of my life, but I was rested. My brain was normal again. Inducing lucid dreams hinders the normal function of the brain when we are sleeping. I still can do it, but I don’t because my brain is more important to me than lucid dreams.

2. In lucid dreams you are basically God, you control everything, you control the surroundings, the people, the universe, absolutely everything. So, if you are God in your lucid dreams and have a crappy life in reality, why would you want to be in reality? If you are in a BS job and secretly in love with a co-worker, but she doesn’t know that you exist, in your lucid dreams she can be your wife, you have two children and live in a castle. Why would you want to be in reality? It is like a drug, you will forget to eat, to drink, everything. Throw in a few sleeping pills and you are in paradise.

As I am writing this, I see a third problem. Since lucid dreams are intentional, I am sure some wokists will find a way to call the dreams sexist or some other *ist….

LordRayden

Edited by LordRayden

14 hours ago, LordRayden said:

As someone who can induce lucid dream whenever he wants (discovered it about 20 years ago and not using for 20 years) I can tell that this brings 2 problems with it. I was unable to find something about it in any article I read about the device.

1. As we all know, dreams are a byproduct of our brains sorting and processing everything that happened during the day, short them memory becomes long term memory and so on. As I discovered that I can induce lucid dreams whenever I want, I did it for a week every night. After that week, I noticed that my brain was slow. I slept enough, but my brain (and with that the rest of my body) felt like I didn’t sleep for days (I knew the feeling as I once worked for 5 days and nights without a break or a second of sleep). I couldn't explain it, I even got worried that something could be wrong with my brain (as an IT guy, a nightmare). Then I fell asleep (my brain was too tired). As it wasn’t planning on sleeping, I didn’t induce the lucid dream “stage”. I woke up 24 hours later, had the most horrifying nightmares of my life, but I was rested. My brain was normal again. Inducing lucid dreams hinders the normal function of the brain when we are sleeping. I still can do it, but I don’t because my brain is more important to me than lucid dreams.

2. In lucid dreams you are basically God, you control everything, you control the surroundings, the people, the universe, absolutely everything. So, if you are God in your lucid dreams and have a crappy life in reality, why would you want to be in reality? If you are in a BS job and secretly in love with a co-worker, but she doesn’t know that you exist, in your lucid dreams she can be your wife, you have two children and live in a castle. Why would you want to be in reality? It is like a drug, you will forget to eat, to drink, everything. Throw in a few sleeping pills and you are in paradise.

As I am writing this, I see a third problem. Since lucid dreams are intentional, I am sure some wokists will find a way to call the dreams sexist or some other *ist….

LordRayden

The only problem with your problems is that they are only your problems, no one else's. It is interesting to note that even before you made this comment all of this had cross my mind back then, but it is even more interesting to note that there are  dozens of forums dedicated to LDing (LD4ALL.com, dreamviews.com, etc.), with about a HUNDRED THOUSAND members, many of whom regularly share their opinions, experiences, stories (and dreams of course) which I have been following for well over a decade and I have never come across anyone (to my surprise) who would've had the experiences you had. I understand your experiences are your reality, but if you had done some research you would've found that, for whatever reason, you seem to be the only one, in spite of everything you said seeming quite logical. Logical, maybe except for the part that LDs occur almost exclusively in REM sleep, which does not happen until about 5 hours after falling asleep, the first 5 hours being what is called deep sleep (completely different brain waves), where your body is busy regenerating. Dreams are thought to be necessary for the internalization of experiences to do with life, the psyche, and various mental and emotional experiences. Which goes on for about 1-4 hours every night, there being a number of separate REM cycles ranging from anywhere between 2-3 to up to 7-8. Not all of which are necessary for the digestion and internalization of the previous days' events of course.

To address your nightmares. While they also do have their role, it is your job to first of all figure out what that role is, and second, what you will want to do with it, if anything. In fact, dealing with nightmares is one of the most common therapeutic uses of LDing, I would venture to say that it is THE most common. Discounting recreational use of course, which does in itself play a major role in the maintenance of a healthy mind and psyche in many individuals, not unlike certain plant products will be used by others to relax, calm their minds, and even meditate, if that's what they like.

One of the leading figures in "treating" nightmares (along with PTSD and many other mental "disorders") is Charley Morley. He's a really nice guy who means well, does deep research, gives lectures and runs workshops worldwide. He has plenty of free lectures posted on youtube. would recommend you look into it. Check 

for starters. You might find it useful. Very useful in fact. He goes into detail on how to treat nightmares. And how to build new neural pathways, to get better at skills you want to get better at, and many other things. Let me know what you think of it.

Regarding your second "problem", essentially what you've actually done there was to outline the main reason why most people lucid dream (or hope to learn to) in the first place. Some use it to fly, like a bird, like a plane, or into space, visit other planets, meet aliens and discover their cultures. Others use it for, yes, being naughty, in ways you couldn't (or rather, would choose not to) be and do in real life, for various reasons. You can do all that in Lucid dreams. You can turn into an animal (eagle, dolphin, etc.) and experience being in that body, even with that mind. You can taste colors, drink light, breathe under water, you can become invisible, you can explore, do pranks, learn skills you can use in life, rehearse speeches, shoot fire balls, destroy cities, meet your spirit guide or talk to your higher self, in fact I have a list of about 100 totally different things you can do in lucid dreams - some fun, some learning, some experimenting, some discovering and exploring, some tools to know yourself. LDs are THE magic fountain of... well, anything you want, really. Since you can use them to access the Akashic Records, as Edgar Cayce did in a trance state. You just use the dream state and look for what you need consciously - knowledge on how to heal (yourself or help others heal), insight into your own psyche, wisdom, whatever. Tap into your (or THE) infinite (mind). First principle of the Kybalion.

Yours seems to be a somewhat sad story, where you were given the key to become God, and due to a few small temporary issues (that you didn't know how to deal with at the time) you gave it all up. No, you won't forget to eat and drink. If anything, you will gain wisdom, appreciate life, learn to take better care of your body, and share your newly-gained knowledge with others that need it, are depressed, have PTSD, nightmares, whatever. This is it, this is the key, or at least one of a few great tools you can have at your disposal, and it's free and anyone can learn it! Tons of free courses online. And you have the gift! Don't let it go to waste! But do as you see fit, who knows. Maybe you have gained some maturity and wisdom since those days, or you need more time? Only you can know.. But I do recommend doing more research, maybe you get some great tips and/or ideas. Hope it goes well for you.

Edited by Rolci

I found them on X. They (Prophetic) told one user "the device will likely come in around 1500-2000$". Though price subject to change. I still don't know what to make of this. Hopefully it's real.

Edited by Bed of chaos

I used to switch on and off every light switch I passed in my home for awhile a few years back, the theory is that if it becomes a habit you copy it in dreams, except in dreams light switches tend not to work, like you switch it off and the light remains on or there is a delay, same with switching them on. Once you notice the delay you should then realise you are in dream. It worked a couple of times but I stopped doing it.
Instead I found eating eggs about an hour before you go to bed gives very vibrant memorable dreams, duck eggs work better than chicken eggs. It's cheap and easy enough for anyone to try.