Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you wake yourself up in a bad dream?

George Ford

So if I'm having a bad dream I sometimes do that thing where you make that 'roaring' noise in your ears, I mentioned it to someone else and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I just assumed everyone did it. They just wiggle their toes to wake up. 

Who else uses my method?

Also it does not work all the time, like in intense nightmares I tend to forget about it or not even realise I'm in a dream/nightmare. It also does not work for sleep paralysis. 

• Like 2

I ve seen a similar dream before a few times. And I can’t even imagine to “move”any body part when you can’t even make a sound. I learnt in jungian school of dream interpretation that those dreams are deep journeys into your psyche. Often people see a hairy Bigfoot like monster (who represents their masculine beginning). Sometimes this can be interpreted as a “trapped” emotion by different schools of thoughts. 
since those types of dreams mostly happen in the morning, I wonder, if going to sleep holding something would help? When u r in the dream, you just squeeze the object? 
or training yourself to look at the ceiling light? Or even trying to look at your palms?

• Like 2

I look at my hands. If it works , I can wake out of it or change it.  I would say it works about 80% of the time.  If it doesn't work it is because something prevents / distracts me from focusing on my hands. Nightmares are very rare for me now.

• Like 2

I used to have bad nightmares as a kid, to get out of them I'd put my head down and run into a brick wall which would always be there.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:21 AM, George Ford said:

So if I'm having a bad dream I sometimes do that thing where you make that 'roaring' noise in your ears, I mentioned it to someone else and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I just assumed everyone did it. They just wiggle their toes to wake up. 

Who else uses my method?

Also it does not work all the time, like in intense nightmares I tend to forget about it or not even realise I'm in a dream/nightmare. It also does not work for sleep paralysis. 

It's my experience that you can not wake yourself up from a dream.  Nightmare or otherwise.  The reason is because your Awakened Conscious mind isn't available.  It is actually asleep.  It is experiencing the dream not creating the dream.  The creator of the dream is the process of Self Analyzation and it is created by the Sub-Conscious mind which never sleeps.  

I rarely have nightmares but I have had two in the last few months.  The first one I just became this superhero in my own mind and woke myself up.  But in the second nightmare, I tried to employ that same theme and failed miserably.  My punches against endless opponents felt like hitting a squishy ball and I had no power.  I thought I might be dreaming, but then realized I was not...it was all reality...except of course...it wasn't.

I think Lucid dreaming is where the Conscious mind has the ability to override the dream if it wants.  But in deep REM...I don't think that choice exists.  Sometimes the dreams fool even the sleeping Conscious mind.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joc said:

It's my experience that you can not wake yourself up from a dream.  Nightmare or otherwise.

I used to do it all the time so that's not true.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, openozy said:

I used to do it all the time so that's not true.

It's my experience that  you   I   can not wake    yourself     myself    up from a dream.  Nightmare or otherwise.

There you go Oz...fixed that!  

I wish I could!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

There you go Oz...fixed that!  

Thanks joc, I'm living the dream 🏝️😊.

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, netindtm said:

I ve seen a similar dream before a few times. And I can’t even imagine to “move”any body part when you can’t even make a sound. I learnt in jungian school of dream interpretation that those dreams are deep journeys into your psyche. Often people see a hairy Bigfoot like monster (who represents their masculine beginning). Sometimes this can be interpreted as a “trapped” emotion by different schools of thoughts. 
since those types of dreams mostly happen in the morning, I wonder, if going to sleep holding something would help? When u r in the dream, you just squeeze the object? 
or training yourself to look at the ceiling light? Or even trying to look at your palms?

I have yet to see a Bigfoot in a dream. I have seen plenty of other monsters, one that stood out was foul looking alligator/croc trying to smash it's way into the kitchen at my parents house when I was a kid. For some reason could not get out the other door in the kitchen into the garden and run, instead stuck watching this mutated creature slowly smash in. It was much more of a rancid yellowish green colour and had teeth sticking out the sides of its mouth so when it whipped its head from left to right the horizontal teeth on the outside acted like a saw and it eventually got it's head through but the hulking big body could not get through the back. Once closer to its head I could see large pus filled boils on it an one eye was just a huge boil with semi-clear pus and an inch or so underneath I could see it's eye moving about. 

I only finally got out the dream when so much panic made my body react to my racing heart. 

On 11/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, Tatetopa said:

I look at my hands. If it works , I can wake out of it or change it.  I would say it works about 80% of the time.  If it doesn't work it is because something prevents / distracts me from focusing on my hands. Nightmares are very rare for me now.

I'm going to try that as now I think of it I'm not sure I have seen much of myself in dreams. 

On 11/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, joc said:

It's my experience that you can not wake yourself up from a dream.  Nightmare or otherwise.  The reason is because your Awakened Conscious mind isn't available.  It is actually asleep.  It is experiencing the dream not creating the dream.  The creator of the dream is the process of Self Analyzation and it is created by the Sub-Conscious mind which never sleeps.  

I rarely have nightmares but I have had two in the last few months.  The first one I just became this superhero in my own mind and woke myself up.  But in the second nightmare, I tried to employ that same theme and failed miserably.  My punches against endless opponents felt like hitting a squishy ball and I had no power.  I thought I might be dreaming, but then realized I was not...it was all reality...except of course...it wasn't.

I think Lucid dreaming is where the Conscious mind has the ability to override the dream if it wants.  But in deep REM...I don't think that choice exists.  Sometimes the dreams fool even the sleeping Conscious mind.

Sometimes in nightmare dreams I think 'oh, there must be a gun (or other weapon) in that draw, and sure enough I find one, but it's either impossible to pull the trigger or it's unloaded or sometimes it shoots but hte bullets are too slow to do anything. And yes I know that might be all very Freudian. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, George Ford said:

I'm going to try that as now I think of it I'm not sure I have seen much of myself in dreams. 

Good luck.  It was a thing I used to practice a lot.  As I was going to sleep, I would hold the thought that I was going to look at my hands.  If you can look down at your hands, you can remember that you are in a dream and either wake up or  at least make bad stuff go away. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

why would you want to wake yourself up?

Because it's a nightmare silly!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Because it's a nightmare silly!

when dreaming i know it's not real.. while i'm dreaming i control it, it's great.. it's not silly- i'm very aware 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Ford said:

foul looking alligator/croc trying to smash it's way into the kitchen 

Wow your recollection of the dream is so detailed and precise even thouit happened when you were a kid. I do experience certain flashbacks from my dreams but never do detailed! Did u grow up in area with crocodiles?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dejarma said:

why would you want to wake yourself up?

Because I always have this dream about Gigi Hadid, she is pestering me for intimacy, it's like true hell and it's the only option. 🙄

• Haha 2

I've never had a nightmare.   Most of my dreams are quite mundane.   I've even had dreams that simply involve me writing boring posts on internet forums ......

Hmmm, is it time to wake up yet?  :P 

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:01 AM, netindtm said:

Wow your recollection of the dream is so detailed and precise even thouit happened when you were a kid. I do experience certain flashbacks from my dreams but never do detailed! Did u grow up in area with crocodiles?

So I spent ages using these new AI image creators to try remake the bit I remember. I can link it here, but it;s not as diseased enough, needs to have bigger more watery/yellow boils. 

_9a7c45f5-cc8f-4e05-9cca-47a4e07b183a.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:53 AM, Dejarma said:

when dreaming i know it's not real.. while i'm dreaming i control it, it's great.. it's not silly- i'm very aware 😉

That is called 'lucid dreaming', it's very rare or something you have to work on to get right. You might have a high IQ and stuff. What do you do for a living, no need to reply if you don't want. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, Dejarma said:

Always?  I have so many dreams where I think it might be a dream and I consider in my dream if I'm actually dreaming and things happen to convince me it is real...and then I wake up.  It is a very strange phenomena.

• Like 1

I seldom dream but when I do I know that I am aware of my surroundings in my sleep almost like I am awake with my eyes closed and can think and control my dream.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 5:45 AM, jmccr8 said:

I seldom dream but when I do I know that I am aware of my surroundings in my sleep almost like I am awake with my eyes closed and can think and control my dream.

Hi j,  wow!  that is amazing to me.   I often feel helpless in dreams.   When I was young I would have amazing adventures in dreams…( I remember one that seemed to last more than one day..2? 3?  Anyway,  when I woke up I had a very hard time believing it must ALL have happened overnight!!* ).    ..now they seem to have gotten sort of boring!   Often mundane things…like being at work (painting) FOREVER!! :P  Or frustrating dreams.   (I think it’s just because of everything my Brain has been through.   (Past history…& current physical/medical/pharmalogical/antiquariousical)  < Ancient Greek for old age :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, jmccr8 said:

As I get older I find I’m dreaming more also more vivid dreams ….

• Like 1