Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico worshippers 'witnessed miracle' after Virgin Mary statue 'cries'

pellinore

Churchgoers were stunned to see a statue of Virgin Mary apparently shedding tears, in what they’ve claimed is a ‘miracle’.

The small figure was filmed ‘crying’ by visitors to a church in El Chanal, Colima, Mexico.

Hundreds of people are reported to have flocked to the church to witness it weeping.

Videos uploaded to social media do seem to show tiny water droplets coming out of the statue’s eyes, and running down its face.

Mexico worshippers 'witnessed miracle' after Virgin Mary statue 'cries' | World News | Metro News

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Well, you can see her eyes are glass and her face either painted wood or plaster. I chalk it up to condensation and or moisture in the wood or plaster. 

I would like to see if it Our Lady of Guadalupe though. She's a syncretized Corn Mother and not the Virgin Mary. 

• Like 4

I am a believer that this phenomena can be genuine paranormal phenomena. I've heard of well documented cases in India and Japan as just for instances. I remember the Milik Miracle in India.

My leading interpretation is that this is indeed the result of higher intelligences giving us a sign of their care/love and to say 'we are here/real'.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am a believer that this phenomena can be genuine paranormal phenomena. I've heard of well documented cases in India and Japan as just for instances. I remember the Milik Miracle in India.

My leading interpretation is that this is indeed the result of higher intelligences giving us a sign of their care/love and to say 'we are here/real'.

Maybe they should've shown their care/love to the thousands of men, woman and children murdered by the cartels in Mexico in the past 20 years.

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Maybe they should've shown their care/love to the thousands of men, woman and children murdered by the cartels in Mexico in the past 20 years.

The 'Problem of Evil' can be its own a separate discussion and has been many times.

I was discussing evidence supporting 'religious miracles'. 

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The 'Problem of Evil' can be its own a separate discussion and has been many times.

I was discussing evidence supporting 'religious miracles'. 

A miracle would be people surving not paying a coyote. Not a statue "crying".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

A miracle would be people surving not paying a coyote. Not a statue "crying".

mir·a·cle
[ˈmirək(ə)l]

NOUN
  1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency:

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:
mir·a·cle
[ˈmirək(ə)l]

NOUN
  1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency:

Pious Fraud: A false miracle created by the Catholic Church when they are bleeding members. 

And they are running from the church in Mexico.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Piney said:

Pious Fraud: A false miracle created by the Catholic Church when they are bleeding members. 

And they are running from the church in Mexico.

Are you now saying these are all just human trickery or just some natural phenomena? I honestly feel the best assessment is that something not explicable is going on in many of these religious miracles.

Are you now saying these are all just human trickery or just some natural phenomena? I honestly feel the best assessment is that something not explicable is going on in many of these religious miracles.

Then you keep not explicating it. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Are you now saying these are all just human trickery or just some natural phenomena?

Yes. In the case of the so-called Milk Miracle in India you mentioned, scientists proved it was a result of capillary action, not a miracle. Catholic Church officials (and others) have exposed many hoaxes, such as in cases of bleeding statues where DNA analyses proved the blood was human or, in some cases, red paint. Catholic Church officials have also declared numerous weeping statues fake after scientific analyses proved the 'tears' to be a result of condensation. As much as some people want to believe in miracles, such statues are nowhere near such a thing.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

400753358_3334498070029557_4412248060343185950_n.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

They have it mechanically set up to "cry" on command. It can't be that difficult. 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes. In the case of the so-called Milk Miracle in India you mentioned, scientists proved it was a result of capillary action, not a miracle. Catholic Church officials (and others) have exposed many hoaxes, such as in cases of bleeding statues where DNA analyses proved the blood was human or, in some cases, red paint. Catholic Church officials have also declared numerous weeping statues fake after scientific analyses proved the 'tears' to be a result of condensation. As much as some people want to believe in miracles, such statues are nowhere near such a thing.

Yes, skeptics will claim every religious miracle can be explained away as trickery or natural phenomena. Believers will call those explanations unsatisfactory.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Psssst... 

Don't tell anyone yet, but I expect a little baby infant Jesus at her feet next month on the 25th....

~

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, skeptics will claim every religious miracle can be explained away as trickery or natural phenomena.

Yes, that's because every religious miracle can be explained away as trickery or natural phenomena. Kind of annoying for the gullible eh?

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Believers will call those explanations unsatisfactory.

Of course they will. Anything to not admit they've been duped and desperately want to believe it.

• Like 7

main-qimg-781910769fa86b47917c936969cec979.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, skeptics will claim every religious miracle can be explained away as trickery or natural phenomena. Believers will call those explanations unsatisfactory.

That's because many believers choose to remain blind to facts and evidence, scientific or otherwise. Case in point: You're again pushing the so-called milk miracle as evidence to support your beliefs, in spite of having being informed that scientists have studied and provided an explanation for it.

Capillary action, commonly known as capillary effect or motion, is when liquid flows through narrow spaces without external forces, such as gravity; rather, the liquid's movement is aided by intermolecular forces present in between the liquid and solid surface(s).

https://study.com/learn/lesson/capillary-action.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Capillary action, commonly known as capillary effect or motion, is when liquid flows through narrow spaces without external forces, such as gravity; rather, the liquid's movement is aided by intermolecular forces present in between the liquid and solid surface(s).

https://study.com/learn/lesson/capillary-action.html

No, no, no KAJ. No. You're going to confuse him. Just let him feel comfort in his world knowing that it really is...

magic-confetti.gif

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Actually, the tears were more like chrism oil (olive oil treated with perfume, balsam in this case), something the church has lying around in abundance. Although it hasn't been proven in this particular case, oil mixed with fat could have been applied and made to 'weep' when temperatures went up. But even though an explanation has yet to be determined, it doesn't mean there isn't one. Nor does it mean it's a miracle or a sign from God or Satan (as some believe). I do have to admit however, that I rather like the idea of it being Satan playing tricks on the Catholic Church. It's exactly what I would do if I were him lol.

• Like 5