Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteries revisited: the Barney and Betty Hill alien abduction case

UM-Bot

The truth is we don't know for sure.

Good lord! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It is quite a fascinating case that intrigued the nation and to a degree the world.  What I like about the case, if one looks into all the details instead of just reading a brief article about it….is that Betty and Barney Hill had no desire for this story to be shared with anyone.  It was a breech of confidence that allowed the story to be told - without their consent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

It is quite a fascinating case that intrigued the nation and to a degree the world.  What I like about the case, if one looks into all the details instead of just reading a brief article about it….is that Betty and Barney Hill had no desire for this story to be shared with anyone.  It was a breech of confidence that allowed the story to be told - without their consent.

They sure didn't shy away from it after the so-called breach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Some time ago I saw  a documentary on the Hills. And in it, a psychologist (? psychiatrist) who put the hills into a trance, claimed
that he does not know if what the Hills said happened actually did, but they definitely believe that it did.

tough one to call. 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

I find interesting one particular part from description, matching what some modern depictions do, that is size changing . 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:30 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Some time ago I saw  a documentary on the Hills. And in it, a psychologist (? psychiatrist) who put the hills into a trance, claimed
that he does not know if what the Hills said happened actually did, but they definitely believe that it did.

What Dr. Simon said is that hypnosis will force a person to say the truth or what they believe is the truth. At the time hypnosis was believed in popular culture to be a powerful tool to extract truthful memories from the brain and this was regularly depicted in movies and television shows. We now know it isn't. People can say things under hypnosis that they knew are completely false.

Also prevalent at the time were contactees like George Adamski. There was a culture of people who believed regular folk were in constant telepathic (if not physical) communication with alien beings. We know Betty Hill was aware of them because she had studied ESP and other paranormal topics for years before her alleged abduction and she definitely fit in with them.

• Thanks 3