Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk vows to file 'thermonuclear lawsuit' as major advertisers desert X/Twitter


pellinore

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Edumakated said:

We can sit here all night listing all the right leaning or conservative views that were censored by big tech vs the left wing views...   facebook, youtube, twitter, etc all have shown significant left wing bias.  Anyone saying otherwise is clearly in a bubble, naive, or disingenuous....

Don't hesitate in doing so on my account, chief. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

I hesitate to ask, as usual, but do you happen to have anything to back up this claim that the 'lab leak theory', which is an amorphous enough concept that it runs the gamut from 'a designed bioweapon that was released from the lab' to 'innocent research that accidentally escaped than was lied about' was being deleted on sight from all social media? How, for instance, did you even see anything about it in that case?

As someone who was interested in the topic, I recall seeing discussion of it on Twitter. Ditto for Youtube. 

From my view, you're making things up again. But that's par for the course. 

I'm going to ignore all the passive aggressive BS and reply only to the one question you actually asked,  and this is really easily found with a simple Google search:

Quote

Facebook lifts ban on posts claiming Covid-19 was man-made

Facebook has lifted a ban on posts claiming Covid-19 was man-made, following a resurgence of interest in the “lab leak” theory of the disease’s onset.

The social network says its new policy comes “in light of ongoing investigations into the origin”.

In February, Facebook explicitly banned the claim, as part of a broad policy update aimed at “removing more false claims about Covid-19 and vaccines”. In a public statement at the time, it said: “Following consultations with leading health organizations, including the World Health Organization (WHO), we are expanding the list of false claims we will remove to include additional debunked claims about the coronavirus and vaccines.”

Anyone posting claims that Covid-19 was “man-made or manufactured” could have seen their posts removed or restricted, and repeatedly sharing the allegation could have led to a ban from the site entirely.

Source for more reading

Quote

New report on covid-19 origin puts social media in GOP’s crosshairs

 

As the pandemic ramped up in 2020, major social networks rolled out a series of policy changes to curb misleading claims about the virus, including theories about its roots. 

Twitter said early on in May 2020 that it would at least label disputed tweets about the virus, including on its origins. For months after the pandemic began, the theory that the virus originated in a lab was reported as unlikely by medical experts and intelligence officials, some of whom called it a conspiracy theory and blasted claims China created it as a bioweapon.

Source for more reading

And that's not even taking into consideration the mainstream reporters who tried to paint the lab leak theory as racist!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paranoid Android said:

I'm going to ignore all the passive aggressive BS and reply only to the one question you actually asked,  and this is really easily found with a simple Google search:

Well, that's certainly one way to avoid scrutiny of your specious claims. Try a little harder to discuss, and less hard on making stuff up, and you wouldn't have to rabbit away from everything you say.

So you were able to find, with a simple Google search, one social media site possibly removing one heavily restricted case of "lab leak" theory. Posts saying COVID was man-made are quite different than saying it leaked from a lab.

You also found that Twitter labeled, but did not remove, posts about it.

I appreciate you doing the legwork to clarify the stuff you made up. Thanks, sir. I hope you learned something about your own faulty claims.

1 hour ago, Paranoid Android said:

And that's not even taking into consideration the mainstream reporters who tried to paint the lab leak theory as racist!

Homework assignment for you: singular vs plural nouns.

I see that 1 reporter posted something silly about the lab leak theory on Twitter. Can't believe that post wasn't deleted on sight, as someone said all such posts were. Makes you think. At least, I hope it does.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

Well, that's certainly one way to avoid scrutiny of your specious claims. Try a little harder to discuss, and less hard on making stuff up, and you wouldn't have to rabbit away from everything you say.

So you were able to find, with a simple Google search, one social media site possibly removing one heavily restricted case of "lab leak" theory. Posts saying COVID was man-made are quite different than saying it leaked from a lab.

You also found that Twitter labeled, but did not remove, posts about it.

I appreciate you doing the legwork to clarify the stuff you made up. Thanks, sir. I hope you learned something about your own faulty claims.

Homework assignment for you: singular vs plural nouns.

I see that 1 reporter posted something silly about the lab leak theory on Twitter. Can't believe that post wasn't deleted on sight, as someone said all such posts were. Makes you think. At least, I hope it does.

Great job at minimisation.  An hour ago you were saying it wasn't happening, so at least you're admitting it does happen,  and we're now just haggling over the appropriate level of censorship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Great job at minimisation.  An hour ago you were saying it wasn't happening, so at least you're admitting it does happen,  and we're now just haggling over the appropriate level of censorship. 

No, we're not haggling over that.

I, at least, am haggling over your incorrect statements.

You said, of the lab leak theory, "social media mercilessly deleted on sight if you even mentioned the possibility". In support of this, you found that Facebook had a policy of removing posts that said COVID was man-made, and that Twitter put up a banner on such posts.

Great job at acting as if your factually-incorrect statements was shown to be correct, which it was not. I'd say I expect better, but I don't. Just try to be more honest, that's my request.

EDIT: I'll also point out that I didn't say there was no 'censorship' of such claims. I said that I had seen discussion of it on social media platforms, which I had, so I doubted your factually - incorrect statement.

I'll add it to the pile.

Edited by Doc Socks Junior
softening
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

No, we're not haggling over that.

I, at least, am haggling over your lies.

You said, of the lab leak theory, "social media mercilessly deleted on sight if you even mentioned the possibility". In support of this, you found that Facebook had a policy of removing posts that said COVID was man-made, and that Twitter put up a banner on such posts.

Great job at both lying and shifting the goal posts. I'd say I expect better, but I don't.

End of the day,  censorship against conservative was very real in Twitter and is still very real on social media in general. You don't see it because it doesn't happen to you and those with your political views. 

Thanks for the chat, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You sound familiar. Been here before? 

Maybe I have, and maybe I haven't. I'm mysterious, mister.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ah, an alt. How mysterious.  

Who am I? Inquiring minds want to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

End of the day,  censorship against conservative was very real in Twitter and is still very real on social media in general. You don't see it because it doesn't happen to you and those with your political views. 

Thanks for the chat, 

Hah. Well, I suppose if you can't back up your views, the next best thing is to double-down and ignore the discussion.

This chat wasn't very useful, as I think I failed to help you learn anything. Ah well, better luck for me next time. I hope you eventually reach the real world again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mister Mysterious said:

Who am I? Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't care who you are. I was being polite. You're either an alt, a troll, or both.  Nuff said.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

This chat wasn't very useful, as I think I failed to help you learn anything. Ah well, better luck for me next time

Sounds like you think you're here to teach us right wingers. I understand your attitude a bit better now. Thanks, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Sounds like you think you're here to teach us right wingers. I understand your attitude a bit better now. Thanks, 

No need to thank me, I'll save that for when you learn something.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You speak actual truth.:devil: :D

Which truth was spoken?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mister Mysterious said:

Who am I? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dreamer Screamer, is that you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

I don't care who you are. I was being polite. You're either an alt, a troll, or both.  Nuff said.

There was nothing polite about it, and you're wrong on both counts. I'll decide when enough is said, not you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Dreamer Screamer, is that you?

Nope. He must be hiding in your closet or under Hank's bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Which truth was spoken?

Sorry, non-sequitur meant to be wry humor, I couldn't resist copying that pithy Elon tweet.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2023 at 4:25 PM, Paranoid Android said:

Note that the article says nothing about self directed moderation (that is,  proactive decisions by moderators to remove content) - this was where the majority of moderation was taking place,  and where complaints about censorship were coming from, not from official requests to take down content.  . 

Can you source that, as well as examples where the content wasn't violating terms and conditions?  I can post something really terrible here and then complain about being censored, but can be in the wrong.  Show us how it changed.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

Can you source that, as well as examples where the content wasn't violating terms and conditions?  I can post something really terrible here and then complain about being censored, but can be in the wrong.  Show us how it changed.  

The issue with your comment is that social media Terms of Service are so broad that a lot can be removed while technically following the rules. And what was happening was that comments from conservatives were removed and their accounts sanctioned while equivalent comments by progressives were left up without any consequence. 

It's the double standards that conservatives have always maintained was the issue.   At least now on TwiX the moderation isfairer, and that's the best we can ask for. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Sorry, non-sequitur meant to be wry humor, I couldn't resist copying that pithy Elon tweet.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. Elon does like to get pithy,  no arguments there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

The issue with your comment is that social media Terms of Service are so broad that a lot can be removed while technically following the rules. And what was happening was that comments from conservatives were removed and their accounts sanctioned while equivalent comments by progressives were left up without any consequence. 

It's the double standards that conservatives have always maintained was the issue.   At least now on TwiX the moderation isfairer, and that's the best we can ask for. 

If it weren't for double standards, the left would have none...

It is funny.  Youtube is constantly suspending and demonetizing right leaning channels for alleged violations of TOS.  Supposedly to satisfy advertisers.  However, those same advertisers have no issue with their ads running before the most vile and dysfunctional rap videos with artist bragging about murdering their "opps".  Yet, say something against the political narrative and you must be censored.  Make it make sense....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have Trump owning Truth Social.  Rubert Murdoch owning Fox.  Tucker Carlson and Fox using defenses like, "We can lie because we are commentators, not news reporters" in court cases.  Fox Wins McDougal Case, Argues No One Takes Tucker Carlson Seriously (businessinsider.com)

We have Fox news losing the Dominion lawsuit:Fox settles Dominion lawsuit for $787.5 million over US election lies | Reuters

 

And you guys are complaining about censorship because reputable news channels refuse to post lies that could ruin their credibility or cost them in lost lawsuits?

If the left have double standards, I would have to say the right has no standards.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for the most recent Twitter thing.  If a simple bot could be used to manipulate X's algorithm to have advertisers show on Nazi content, wouldn't that be evidence of a broken product/service?  No one would want to use a product/service that is so flawed (or even contains Nazi content) that their advertising/tweets are placed next to such content by the workings of the service itself.  Advertisers would be justified in pulling the business from such broken things.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

We have Trump owning Truth Social.  Rubert Murdoch owning Fox.  Tucker Carlson and Fox using defenses like, "We can lie because we are commentators, not news reporters" in court cases.  Fox Wins McDougal Case, Argues No One Takes Tucker Carlson Seriously (businessinsider.com)

We have Fox news losing the Dominion lawsuit:Fox settles Dominion lawsuit for $787.5 million over US election lies | Reuters

 

And you guys are complaining about censorship because reputable news channels refuse to post lies that could ruin their credibility or cost them in lost lawsuits?

If the left have double standards, I would have to say the right has no standards.

 

First up, let's get the obvious out of the way - the Dominion claims were clearly outrageous and Fox deserved everything they got for their dodginess. 

However, looking at the first link it's also worth pointing out that before Tucker Carlson went to court (September 2020), left wing commentators like Rachel Maddow and MSNBC were using defences like, "We can lie because we are commentators, not news reporters", in court cases. Judge dismisses One America News defamation lawsuit against Rachel Maddow.  

What's notably missing from this headline is the outrageous spin that is present in the Fox/Carlson headlines. No spin about "reasonable viewers" not turning to MSNBC for facts, despite the judge in their ruling using the exact same reasoning - "reasonable viewers" would know it was an opinion and not a fact. Several YouTube lawyers commenting on the case even described Tucker's chosen strategy as "The Maddow Defense". 

Those double standards clearly include the same standards you are ridiculing Fox for, except the left wing media (which is the vast majority of all media companies) runs cover for them so you get the sanitised left wing version of news filtered through their left wing progressive lens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.