Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk vows to file 'thermonuclear lawsuit' as major advertisers desert X/Twitter


pellinore

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It ended up being exactly that, I don't know why! At least when Trump was in office.  When he was out and Biden talked about it,  it was acceptable again! Wonder what could have changed 😇  :whistle:

 

Content moderation abandoned by more reputable sources due to public demand. The rumour became news informing the public that the rumour was growing. A vicious circle.

Absolutely nothing to do with support of conspiracy theories, which remain conspiracy theories to this day regardless of opinion.

Content moderation is not censorship. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

That absolutely is true! The right wing mainstream news is basically Fox News. Very occasionally either New York Post or Washington Post will put out something right wing, but other than that, in the US, that's basically it. And if it isn't then the rest aren't worth talking about (Newsmax or OAN, more people would get the news if you wrote it in chalk on the sidewalk than on those channels). 

The left wing mainstream news is basically everyone else. ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, CNBC.... all of them. Don't know what to say if you legitimately think there are more right wing news channels out there. 

There are way more small burger joints in the United States than McDonalds...but that doesn't mean McDonalds doesn't rule the roost.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

There are way more small burger joints in the United States than McDonalds...but that doesn't mean McDonalds doesn't rule the roost.  

And everyone knows Maccas is crap, even if they buy it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It's your opinion.

Again how does lab leak conspiracy fit ontobthe political spectrum.

It was a view championed by people on the right, that was enough to get it shut down. Then when people on the left started talking about it, suddenly it was ok to talk about it again. That's the double standards of the media! It's misinformation as long as THEY say it is, then it's ok again! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It was a view championed by people on the right, that was enough to get it shut down. Then when people on the left started talking about it, suddenly it was ok to talk about it again. That's the double standards of the media! It's misinformation as long as THEY say it is, then it's ok again! 

What a way to learn I'm on the right. Thanks for letting me know my political preference!

I assume by "shut down" you mean, "not shut down at all except insofar as one counts the claim that COVID was a man-made virus as the 'lab leak' theory".

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

What a way to learn I'm on the right. Thanks for letting me know my political preference!

I assume by "shut down" you mean, "not shut down at all except insofar as one counts the claim that COVID was a man-made virus as the 'lab leak' theory".

Lucky you, good to know you have views that don't fully and solely align with the political left. It's almost like you're a human being and have thoughts of your own and don't fit into a neat little box. I'm a libertarian. I hate government getting involved in people's lives. But I will also plug the virtues of universal healthcare every day of the week, no matter how against the libertarian views it goes. 

I mean the discussing the lab leak theory would get shut down by social media. I tried discussing it, my posts were removed. 

Allow me just a short cross section of articles (these are literally the first three articles I clicked on after searching the terms "lab leak theory" and "right wing", I did not filter it any further):

Quote

Even so, gleeful Republicans seized on the findings to claim vindication in their pursuit of the lab leak theory, triggering a fresh round of toxic debate in Washington and on social media.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/28/lab-leak-natural-spillover-how-origins-covid-us-political-debate

Quote

In part, they simply took Donald Trump’s bait, answering the former president’s dissembling with false certainty of their own.” Trump and various right-wing boosters blurred together the possibility that COVID may accidentally have escaped from the lab...

https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/lab_leak_theory_credibility.php

Quote

When the lab-leak hypothesis first emerged, its most prominent advocates were Republican politicians who were motivated to shift blame away from the Trump administration’s mishandling of the pandemic.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/02/lab-leak-hypothesis-lying-about-science-is-bad-for-liberals.html

Don't pretend this is a bipartisan issue all of a sudden! 

 

 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It was a view championed by people on the right, that was enough to get it shut down. Then when people on the left started talking about it, suddenly it was ok to talk about it again. That's the double standards of the media! It's misinformation as long as THEY say it is, then it's ok again! 

How to bleat about victimhood without saying victimhood.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Whatever the reasons, though, the point is that the majority of news agencies are in fact left wing. When you factor in that everyone sees Fox News as "the right wing news", the impression this gives is that all the rest of these media companies are the "real news". That's how it's viewed by others, it may "just be the way it is", but it's still wrong. 

Hi PA,

I disagree here.  Taking the lead from ex-president Trump. many believe CNN, MSNBC and others are fake news and enemies of the people.   The viewership of FOX  does not think of themselves as watching right wing news, just news.  Are you subconsciously still trying to find unfairness and victimhood?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

How to bleat about victimhood without saying victimhood.

Come back after you've read the articles I linked above for Doc. Don't pretend this is bipartisan, it never has been and never will be because the media turned it political! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Hi PA,

I disagree here.  Taking the lead from ex-president Trump. many believe CNN, MSNBC and others are fake news and enemies of the people.   The viewership of FOX  does not think of themselves as watching right wing news, just news.  Are you subconsciously still trying to find unfairness and victimhood?

And yet Fox News has the highest distrust score of any of the major mainstream networks....

Edit: should provide a link

media_10212021.jpg?w=1024

 

Fox News has a 40% distrust ratio. Everyone who doesn't watch Fox knows Fox is right wing biased. The reverse cannot be said about the rest of the mainstream news. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Come back after you've read the articles I linked above for Doc. Don't pretend this is bipartisan, it never has been and never will be because the media turned it political! 

Again which conspiracy wer dream are you upset abouf?

I was under the impression Twitter were flagging Tweets as possible disinformation, not users.

Are you going to answer how and  "Lab Leak" fits on on the political spectrum? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Again which conspiracy wer dream are you upset abouf?

I was under the impression Twitter were flagging Tweets as possible disinformation, not users.

Are you going to answer how and  "Lab Leak" fits on on the political spectrum? 

[sarcasm]I take it all back, the lab leak theory is obviously a bipartisan argument that has never been politicised by politicians or the media. [/endsarcasm]

Edited by Paranoid Android
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

[sarcasm]I take it all back, the lab leak theory is obviously a bipartisan argument that has never been politicised by politicians or the media. [/endsarcasm]

You still didn't answer how and where the suspected misinformation fits on the political spectrum.

This is what is sounds like snowflakes cry.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

You still didn't answer how and where the suspected misinformation fits on the political spectrum.

This is what is sounds like snowflakes cry.

People were stopped from talking about the lab leak theory. Posts were deleted. Individuals were banned. Ideas were censored. Don't pretend that didn't happen! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

People were stopped from talking about the lab leak theory. Posts were deleted. Individuals were banned. Ideas were censored. Don't pretend that didn't happen! 

You are not answering how that piece pf misinformation fits on the political spectrum. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

You are not answering how that piece pf misinformation fits on the political spectrum. 

It's apolitical. When it was uttered by right wingers, it was censored. When it was uttered by left wingers, it was acceptable speech freely allowed. Those are the facts. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Lucky you, good to know you have views that don't fully and solely align with the political left. It's almost like you're a human being and have thoughts of your own and don't fit into a neat little box. I'm a libertarian. I hate government getting involved in people's lives. But I will also plug the virtues of universal healthcare every day of the week, no matter how against the libertarian views it goes.

Okay. I guess we both get cookies.

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

I mean the discussing the lab leak theory would get shut down by social media. I tried discussing it, my posts were removed.

Huh. Interesting. This is a new point that you've now raised, that you personally were censored by social media. What social media platform did your posts get removed from and what did your posts say?

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Allow me just a short cross section of articles (these are literally the first three articles I clicked on after searching the terms "lab leak theory" and "right wing", I did not filter it any further):

Don't pretend this is a bipartisan issue all of a sudden! 

No pretense, it simply is. I see you've been suckered by the left wing media. Pro-tip, you shouldn't believe everything you read!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Criticism of the ADL is antisemitism.  Anyone who criticises the ADL is a Nazi; and, probably a Hamas supporting terrorist too.

... just in case you didn't know.

I'm sure relieved! I thought that they were Martian witches.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's apolitical. When it was uttered by right wingers, it was censored. When it was uttered by left wingers, it was acceptable speech freely allowed. Those are the facts. 

Nope.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, Paranoid Android said:

I actually agree with you on a theoretical level. But on a practical level I see it playing out very different. The thing is that most people who watch the news don't make a distinction between news channels. Before I became interested in politics, I saw channels like Fox News and saw them as "the right wing news channel", and the rest of the news channels I looked at as "the real news". Not "the progressive news" or "left wing news", but the REAL news. Like it or not, but that is how people view the media. OAN and Newsmax don't even make it onto most people's news lists because those channels are so small most don't even have an opinion on them - just check out the "unsure" rating for those channels at this link on trustworthiness: 

media_10212021.jpg?w=1024

The statistics on this page roughly mirror my experience. When knowing very little about the media Fox News was the untrustworthy agenda news, the rest were "the real news". Like it or not, that's the views that people have. Which means in practice people aren't going to notice the propaganda. 

People who turn on the nightly news aren't going to generally know that they are getting the left-wing/progressive news and therefore not realise that all the anti-Tucker Carlson articles are just the same as the non-existent anti-Rachel Maddow articles. 

 

 

 

Do you want free speech or forced speech with a level playing field?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well seems like an attention grab no different than Elon's blab about duking it out with Gates. The reality is there is no law saying I have to do business with a company or someone that I disagree with so suck it up Elon your bed,you made it you sleep in it.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's apolitical. When it was uttered by right wingers, it was censored. When it was uttered by left wingers, it was acceptable speech freely allowed. Those are the facts. 

What you are suffering from is known as confirmation bias.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Do you want free speech or forced speech with a level playing field?

It's funny to see how knowledge gaps about the American media landscape are quite clear in the discussion. Maybe cultural blind spots? Could be an age thing.

The clear first sign was not knowing or not acknowledging that conservative talk radio exists, and is in fact the dominant view in that medium and reaches large amounts of people.

The next relates to what you're saying, which is basically the "fairness doctrine". The demise thereof is of course intertwined with right wing talk radio.

Well, hopefully someone learns something out of this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Even old dogs can learn new tricks if they are willing.

Key phrase.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.