Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why the future might not be where you think it is

Still Waters

Imagine the future. Where is it for you? Do you see yourself striding towards it? Perhaps it’s behind you. Maybe it’s even above you.

And what about the past? Do you imagine looking over your shoulder to see it?

How you answer these questions will depend on who you are and where you come from. The way we picture the future is influenced by the culture we grow up in and the languages we are exposed to.

For many people who grew up in the UK, the US and much of Europe, the future is in front of them, and the past is behind them. People in these cultures typically perceive time as linear. They see themselves as continually moving towards the future because they cannot go back to the past.

In some other cultures, however, the location of the past and the future are inverted. The Aymara, a South American Indigenous group of people living in the Andes, conceptualise the future as behind them and the past in front of them.

https://theconversation.com/why-the-future-might-not-be-where-you-think-it-is-216861

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find it very interesting the way the Ayamara think about time.  I can see that.  Because, the future never really happens, it's always right now.  So, what we are doing...whatever it is as soon as we do it it is in the past...so actually, we are using the now to create the past.  

I see it a bit differently though.  No past, no present, no future.  Just now.  Now is eternal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, joc said:

I find it very interesting the way the Ayamara think about time.  I can see that.  Because, the future never really happens, it's always right now.  So, what we are doing...whatever it is as soon as we do it it is in the past...so actually, we are using the now to create the past.  

I see it a bit differently though.  No past, no present, no future.  Just now.  Now is eternal.

I don’t even see  now  I see ,hear, feel, sense only Motion ..including thought.   ???    That’s how I sees it.

• Like 2

I think how we see the future, whether it's coming toward us or we're rushing backward unseeing it, depends a great deal on how we see the past. Someone said, " Those unable to remember the past are condemned to repeat it". 

Some folks are unhappy because they see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and expect the future to be better than it's going to be.

Sojo

• Like 5

I finally read the link…interesting how some people it talks about view the past as being in front of their eyes, (seen)  because they have seen it & can see it (in memory). .and the future as being behind them…where they cannot see it.  (unseen) .    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lightly said:

I don’t even see  now  I see ,hear, feel, sense only Motion ..including thought.   ???    That’s how I sees it.

I don't see now as something we are experiencing.  We say we are experiencing something, seeing something, feeling something, now...but actually by the time whatever we saw, heard, felt, etc. gets to our brain and our brain acknowledges the information...what ever we are experiencing is already in the past.  It's gone before we even experience it.  I think Now is the dark matter between the clouds...whatever that is...is Now.  We are not moving through it in time...we are literally moving through it.  There is no time where it isn't now because we are immersed in now.:o

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, joc said:

And yet clearly things happen and time passes.

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

And yet clearly things happen and time passes.

What is clear is that there is an illusion of time passing. We have that illusion because we began measuring everything. We even measure the 'slowing' of time.  But the measurements themselves are also an illusion because there are no static points where nothing is moving. Everything is always moving.  Every quark, every arom, every galaxy, even the dark matter is all moving constantly. 

It appears that time passes.  But at the speed of light there is no time.  And so the measurements of time we make are all relative to that speed.

But yes, clearly,  things happen and time passes.

When it passes, it is reflected in our memory.  And the future is anticipation based on reflections of our memory. 

• Like 1

I think the way the Ayamara see it is...there is no future, because we are always here in the present.  Anything that happens, instantly becomes part of the past.  Therefore, we are not creating anything in the present, we are actually creating our past.  And so, we are moving into the past. Constantly creating the past.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

I think the way the Ayamara see it is...there is no future, because we are always here in the present.  Anything that happens, instantly becomes part of the past.  Therefore, we are not creating anything in the present, we are actually creating our past.  And so, we are moving into the past. Constantly creating the past.  

Awesome.   It’s all extremely interesting.     ^…makes me wonder what the rest of Life is doing while WE are creating our/the past.?   are the Ravens&Bushes&Cactus I’m living with :P   creating their/the past?    ..guess they must be, if thats’s the way it works?  :)     .  .     .         .     hm,    they don’t seem concerned with either. :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

I don't speculate on my future as I could be dead 60 seconds from now. What I do have it a to do list that I constantly work on, if I die oh well that's life.