Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Freemasons Worship What?! & A Haunted Atheist Professor

ReadTheGreatControversyEGW

16 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I feel like the real purpose of this thread is to create trouble.

It was slightly hit and run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's an old boy's club with a fee for every advancement, but the cookouts and dinners were to die for. You swear your oath on whatever religious text you base your personal morality on. College Fraternities are much more diabolical. 

Actually, my first exposure to the Freemasons was as a pup, hanging out with some DeMolay members (the youth group).

i didn't join, but the impression I got was high school kids preparing for Animal House :devil:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Lucifer literally means lightbringer Read. 
And was Venus, not the moon. 

Hope you know the light he once brought was the light of God. He doesn't have any light to bring anymore. That's where the moon analogy comes in.. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Actually, my first exposure to the Freemasons was as a pup, hanging out with some DeMolay members (the youth group).

i didn't join, but the impression I got was high school kids preparing for Animal House :devil:.

All high school kids were preparing for animal house, except the ones preparing to be fabulous furry freak brothers!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Piney said:

It was slightly hit and run.

I'm just waiting for the typical "all of you are wrong" response. I've gotten bored with being preached at.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

Read, say you just stumbled across a YouTube channel, and posted what you found there for confirmation that somebody worships Satan (the Masons? whom Veith thinks were founded by the Jesuits?) and for yet another "I was an atheist and now I'm Christian" testimony. I mean seriously, you're a fan of this guy? Say it ain't so, Read.

Hi 8, 

So people have brought up 'Total Onslaught' to me for years now. I've heard of it but never took the time to look at it. And when I recently took the time to do so, I saw this video and was like woah what's that!! I think he provided very good information. I don't know a lot about Freemasonry personally, but I know something's up. I live right by a lodge and am always weirded out walking by it - has a baphomet head depiction right on the front of the building Lol! I had met an Adventist once who was a Freemason and he told me it's safe etc. I wasn't buying it. Wished I had this video back then. I've also heard from other ex masons that it's not what it appears to be on the outside (to the lower level masons). 

11 hours ago, eight bits said:

I mean seriously, you're a fan of this guy? Say it ain't so, Read.

I do like him lol he's funny, unique personality and he's German!

23 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hi 8, 

So people have brought up 'Total Onslaught' to me for years now. I've heard of it but never took the time to look at it. And when I recently took the time to do so, I saw this video and was like woah what's that!! I think he provided very good information. I don't know a lot about Freemasonry personally, but I know something's up. I live right by a lodge and am always weirded out walking by it - has a baphomet head depiction right on the front of the building Lol! I had met an Adventist once who was a Freemason and he told me it's safe etc. I wasn't buying it. Wished I had this video back then. I've also heard from other ex masons that it's not what it appears to be on the outside (to the lower level masons). 

You're paranoid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hope you know the light he once brought was the light of God. He doesn't have any light to bring anymore. That's where the moon analogy comes in.. 

No he didn’t because Lucifer WAS NEVER an angel and most certainly was not the same as Satan. :rolleyes:

cormac

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

The one up the street from me is a lot more tame apparently. It's a "blue lodge" and has few exierior decorations beyond the usual G-compass-and-square on the sign board, an "Eastern Star" (the women's auxiliary logo), and the blue lantern over the door.

I don't suppose you could post up a picture of this Baphomet head - that's not a common Freemason thing.

This is what I'm used to in Grand Lodge decoations (in Boston), which doesn't seem weird at all.

marquee_grand-lodge6x3.jpg.58d9a9a2f325a06858aabf579a781937.jpg

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hi 8, 

You really have to stop believing everything you watch on YouTube. The place is infested with false prophets. You know, the ones your Bible warned you against? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Hi 8, 

I doubt they have a Baphomet head. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

I do like him lol he's funny, unique personality and he's German!

South African. You really do your research....

8 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

I don't know a lot about Freemasonry personally, but I know something's up. I live right by a lodge and am always weirded out walking by it - has a baphomet head depiction right on the front of the building Lol! I had met an Adventist once who was a Freemason and he told me it's safe etc. I wasn't buying it. Wished I had this video back then. I've also heard from other ex masons that it's not what it appears to be on the outside (to the lower level masons). 

Your lying out of your teeth....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

That's why I am hoping she can post a picture.

You can connect the dots, it's just difficult to see why any Freemason would. The legends of the Knights Templar have a lot of resonance with the Masons; the last Templar grandmaster Jacques de Molay is commemorated in the name of the youth group. The 14th Century purge of the Templars is the source of the name "Baphomet" used as some sort of deity, devil, or demon. In testimony obtained through torture, Templars supposedly worshipped Baphomet among many other unChristian practices. Names that sound like Baphomet also have some earlier attestations in the context of the Crusades, which is probably how the Inquisitors came up with the name to "suggest" to their victims as the supposed object of their idolatry.

The usual image, however, is 19th Century. While it resembles a conventonal Eurodevil, I guess it's supposed to be a hermophroditic human-goat chimera - with wings, of course. Except that the artist, Eliphas Levi, titled his creation "Baphomet," I don't think there's any other connection between the grotesque and the Templars or the Freemasons.

Anyway, if @ReadTheGreatControversyEGW can supply a picture, then that would be an interesting contribution to her thread. (Also, I think she would benefit from the experience of doing her own research into some of things that fascinate her, and this would be as good a place to start as any, IMO.)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, eight bits said:

That's why I am hoping she can post a picture.

You can connect the dots, it's just difficult to see why any Freemason would. The legends of the Knights Templar have a lot of resonance with the Masons; the last Templar grandmaster Jacques de Molay is commemorated in the name of the youth group. The 14th Century purge of the Templars is the source of the name "Baphomet" used as some sort of deity, devil, or demon. In testimony obtained through torture, Templars supposedly worshipped Baphomet among many other unChristian practices. Names that sound like Baphomet also have some earlier attestations in the context of the Crusades, which is probably how the Inquisitors came up with the name to "suggest" to their victims as the supposed object of their idolatry.

The usual image, however, is 19th Century. While it resembles a conventonal Eurodevil, I guess it's supposed to be a hermophroditic human-goat chimera - with wings, of course. Except that the artist, Eliphas Levi, titled his creation "Baphomet," I don't think there's any other connection between the grotesque and the Templars or the Freemasons.

Anyway, if @ReadTheGreatControversyEGW can supply a picture, then that would be an interesting contribution to her thread. (Also, I think she would benefit from the experience of doing her own research into some of things that fascinate her, and this would be as good a place to start as any, IMO.)

oh I'm quite familiar with the history behind Baphomet, I'd better, i have a variation of (Levi's) Baphomet as a giant tattoo on my arm. But it's a good history to recount for others. 

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I feel like the real purpose of this thread is to create trouble.

And make it double…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, eight bits said:

The usual image, however, is 19th Century. While it resembles a conventonal Eurodevil, I guess it's supposed to be a hermophroditic human-goat chimera - with wings, of course. Except that the artist, Eliphas Levi, titled his creation "Baphomet," I don't think there's any other connection between the grotesque and the Templars or Freemasons.

Although a Mason I’ve always approached the subject of the Knights Templar, as an enthusiast of European history in general, from a strictly historical point of view. They’re one of my favorite subjects as are the Crusades in general. Contrary to masonic beliefs there’s no historical connection between them and the Templars. 

There’s not much doubt that the Templars developed un-Catholic beliefs during their stay in the Holy Land. But they certainly were not Devil worshippers.  They retained a belief in God but their attitude to Jesus and the NT teachings in general seemed to have soured.  When questioned, one knight stated that during his induction into the Order he was shown a cross and told, “Set not much faith in this, for it is too young.” Details about their beliefs are frustratingly vague or lacking because the Order’s contemporary records were lost. We do know that through their exposure to Islam they not only developed a respect for it and for Muslims, who reciprocated it, they were also influenced by Eastern customs, knowledge and beliefs. In dealing with Muslims, Templars were not only on the front lines in battle, but also much more frequently in diplomacy. The knights were used as ambassadors to Muslim courts, and as a result learned how to speak and write in Arabic.

There’s a story of a knight newly arrived in the Holy Land, staying in a crusader stronghold who came across a Muslim praying to Mecca. Outraged, he attempted to throw him out when he was stopped by several Templars, who told  him that they had given the Muslim permission to pray.

There’s no historical connection between Levi’s Baphomet and that of the Templars, although the occult in and of itself is another topic I find fascinating.  

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

No lodge does. And being a scorching liar she has no clue that Levi’s Baphomet has nothing to do with the earlier Templar Baphomet nor does she know real history from the ones that Masons claim. The only thing lodges have on their outside facades is the Masonic symbol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Not in the Bible. So another lie.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

No lodge does. And being a scorching liar she has no clue that Levi’s Baphomet has nothing to do with the earlier Templar Baphomet nor does she know real history from the ones that Masons claim. The only thing lodges have on their outside facades is the Masonic symbol. 

The Templar Baphomet was probably Mohammed. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Templar Baphomet was probably Mohammed. 

I’ve heard that. I’ve also read that using the Jewish atbash cipher Baphomet translates to Sofia, Greek for wisdom. Both I find intriguing in their possibilities.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I’ve heard that. I’ve also read that using the Jewish atbash cipher Baphomet translates to Sofia, Greek for wisdom. Both I find intriguing in their possibilities.

I'm more than certain it had nothing to do with Satan or any demon. 

I think most of the charges brought up on the Templars and the stories were made up by the priests convicting them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

Well, the Massachusetts Grand Lodge has a rich display of mosaic panels on its Tremont Street exterior. I posted one of the interior examples of the seal here earlier (the seal is the far right panel on the image below).

Grand_Lodge_of_Masons_in_Boston.JPG

Still, Baphomet seems unlikely, and much of the original point is lost if all you show is the head. While I await Read's photo (and perhaps fearing that the wait may be a long one), I wonder if what she saw was an Elks lodge whose emblem features an antlered head.

bpoe.jpg.5ea1e69d5d1c9df1ea057331f7da9c71.jpg

In bygone days, the Elks had many similarities with the masons, but today are much different (no "degrees," women members since the 1990's, ...).

ETA and I just noticed, the abbreviation of the name (Benevloent Protective Order of Elks) "looks like" Baphomet:

BAPHOMET
B*P*O*E

OK:

B*P**O*E

but close.B).

Edited by eight bits
  • Thanks 5

41 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm more than certain it had nothing to do with Satan or any demon. 

I think most of the charges brought up on the Templars and the stories were made up by the priests convicting them.

Same here.

I agree. When you’re being viciously tortured the chances are that you’ll pretty much say whatever your torturers tell you to say just to end the agony.

We also have Jacques de Molay and Geoffrey de Charney later recanting their “confessions” saying they were made under duress and that the French Templars were innocent of all the charges laid against them. Which ironically got them both burned alive.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Thanks 3