Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The genes that made us truly human may also make us ill

Eldorado

Over the past 15 million years, our ancestors acquired the genetic changes that eventually made us human, and separated us from our closest living relatives – the chimpanzee and other great apes.

Our ancestors' brains quadrupled in size, allowing greater behavioural flexibility, while modifications to the tongue and vocal cords contributed to the development of human speech and language. Ancient humans acquired skeletal, muscle and joint modifications which allowed them to walk upright, move across large distances, and grasp and throw projectile weapons.

However, although these rapid genetic changes may once have helped us adapt to our environment, scientists now believe they may have increased the risk of developing diseases such as Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, diabetes, and osteoarthritis.

Full article at BBC Future: Linkli

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry cats

. . . .  .  Toxoplasmosis Parasite May Trigger Schizophrenia And Bipolar Disorders | ScienceDaily

this ^ really I guess is nothing to laugh at after all.

______________________________________________________________________________ 

Thanks for the article, I've always had off knees, I enjoyed this mention of the knees "   . . 

"The blueprints for building a knee have been subjected to intense selection to build a knee correctly, and further excessive mutations aren't tolerated," says Capellini.

"However sometimes small, minor mutations in those switches cause those shapes to be slightly different, or they alter knee biology only subtly. And that altered biology is tolerable when you are young  . .

" .

Edited by Nosy.Matters
  • Thanks 1