Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How A Seventh Day Adventist Became An Atheist

Hammerclaw

How a man charted a new direction for his life with a one-year experiment

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

It's an hour long. Just curious if someone would give his main point or two.

• Like 1

Although I gave the video a laugh reaction, that was because I interpreted the post as a rejoinder to another poster's stock in trade. In actually watching the video, however, the speaker made a lotof sense to me.

I think it was @joc who long ago lamented that there was only one reaction icon per customer, when some posts demand both a laugh (as a reference to our colleague's typical post) and also a "thanks" loving cup. Good talk.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It works fine at 1.5x speed. If an hour long talk could be justly summarized in a bullet or two, then it would be a lousy talk.

The title is an accurate description of the content, if the subject interests you, you will not regret the time spent listening.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, eight bits said:

It works fine at 1.5x speed. If an hour long talk could be justly summarized in a bullet or two, then it would be a lousy talk.

A thread could have talking points.

3 minutes ago, eight bits said:

The title is an accurate description of the content, if the subject interests you, you will not regret the time spent listening.

Can't listen to everything on the internet. The title tells me it is likely anti-religion particularly conservative religious thinking (Seventh Day Adventist). I agree with much of that but not that 'atheism' is the answer either. The title makes me think it is something I've heard many times before. I was just wondering if someone would tell me if he had any novel points.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It's a funny story well worth watching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He said people quoting the Bible to him or others, would reply do you know how meaningless this is to me/us? I'm thinking ok interesting makes sense because God is a spirit and these are spiritual things that ordinary human mind naturally sees as "foolishness" because it cannot understand without divine illumination. 

• Thanks 1

The place where he says he went for walks with God in the morning speaking to Him and felt like He was there - beautiful 😍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

The place where he says he went for walks with God in the morning speaking to Him and felt like He was there - beautiful 😍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

He said people quoting the Bible to him or others, would reply do you know how meaningless this is to me/us? I'm thinking ok interesting makes sense because God is a spirit and these are spiritual things that     ordinary       normal     human mind naturally sees as "foolishness" because it cannot understand without divine illumination. 

:yes:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

He said people quoting the Bible to him or others, would reply do you know how meaningless this is to me/us? I'm thinking ok interesting makes sense because God is a spirit and these are spiritual things that ordinary human mind naturally sees as "foolishness" because it cannot understand without divine illumination. 

Emotional investment.

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Emotional investment.

Pretentious IMO. 

cormac

• Like 1

He talked about the man who kept the church grounds, smoking.. very difficult situation I'd rather avoid altogether. It really depends on the context. If he was approached in a kind manner with the subject of discussion, that's one thing. But if he was not, then things get really dicey. If your member is involved in some kind of public behavior that is contrary to what is right, how you go about this is really important. Take him with loving arms as a brother and just let him talk about what's going on. Offer him support and encouragement to help him. But if he does not care to change that habit and feels that it is ok. Yeah man. Things can get dicey. If it's secret and and no knows, that's one thing. But if it's publicly being done before others, well now you're redefining the standards and others would follow your example. "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." 

At that point, it's a question of whether or not what the person is doing is right. Is smoking right? If you don't say anything, you can, by your silence, be sanctioning something before public eyes.  

Early Christianity was a religious emulsion, essentially Zoroastrianism with the addition of the Jews' tribal deity, whom they impudently identify with the God of Stoic monotheism, together with details borrowed from Neoplatonic, Neopythagorean, and Hermetic (Egyptian) sources to make the inconsistent doctrine palatable to the non jew. . Each of the very numerous sects, however, had its own formula, varying the proportions of the ingredients, and, of course, its own collection of gospels, composed or revised to fit. Many of the sects either disregarded the Jews' collection of tales about Yahweh or relegated the Jews' god to an inferior status as merely a subordinate of the supreme god who had dispatched Jesus to proclaim a true religion; SOME SECTS LOGICALLY IDENTIFIED YAHWEH WITH SATAN AND SO REGARDED THE OLD TESTAMENT AS A RECORD OF HIS EVIL DEEDS. 

I'm a little confused about the demythologization thing he referenced. "We know the miracles really didn't happen" how? "Have you ever seen anyone walk on water? So probably Jesus didn't walk on water." How does this prove that the miracles didn't happen? Of course people don't just walk on water yes it's a supernatural thing and you'd never know or see it until you come into contact with the supernatural. 

35 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:
42 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Played about 2 seconds and stopped. Sounds like hypnotic music. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

How a man charted a new direction for his life with a one-year experiment

He spoke about the Towers going down and how people would say, God bless America and he meant it to be, God is on our side etc etc. All I can say is, God Himself says His kingdom is not of this world. 

LA dude. 

Well of course there were crickets when he mentioned the violence of the Muslims. They are all in it together .

Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the tribal deity of Abraham, the lord of war.  That is why they are called Abrahamic religions.   Moses is mentioned in the Koran 163 times as the prophet of Allah. They are all violent. 

Exodus 15:3.  The lord is a man of war, the lord is his name. 

I don't believe in war either. I think the presidents or leaders who want a war should go gladiator style in an arena and duke it out. Let the people live. This is how I feel about war (it's not a Christian song I think but the words and vocals are on point):

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes. organized Religion is the leading cause of Atheism.

Right that’s what I expected from the title. I think the failure of organized religion doesn’t make atheism a correct position either.

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Played about 2 seconds and stopped. Sounds like hypnotic music. 

It's a very beautiful song and it says in music what you say you so admire. It's very Christian. Be brave, trust me and listen. The weird intro is from the one who posted it online, not the song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

He spoke about the Towers going down and how people would say, God bless America and he meant it to be, God is on our side etc etc. All I can say is, God Himself says His kingdom is not of this world. 

The Kingdom of Heaven is spread out upon the face of the Earth, but men do not see it.

• Like 3