Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Historian debunks claims that Coco Chanel served in the French Resistance

Eldorado

New documents surfaced in September indicating that Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel may have played a double role during World War II, serving not only as an informant for the Nazis but also as a member of the French Resistance. But a historian who has analysed the new evidence says he has “serious doubts” about her alleged membership in La Résistance, suggesting the French fashion icon may have used the documents to restore her reputation after the war.

--

Chanel’s links to the Nazis have long been established by declassified documents. She spent the war living at the Ritz after falling in love with the German intelligence officer Baron Hans Gunther von Dincklage. In July 1941, at the height of World War II, the Nazis registered her as a “trusted source” and gave her the code name “Westminster” due to her close connections with the British government and especially Winston Churchill.

Full articleFrance 24 at MSN

• Like 6

She was a traitor who should have had her assets confiscated and given to Jewish Holocaust survivors. Period! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

She was a traitor who should have had her assets confiscated and given to Jewish Holocaust survivors. Period! 

I believe the term is “quisling”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I believe the term is “quisling”.

I believe the term is weaseling *****, considering she got off because she honked on Churchill's bobo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's dead, Jim, get over it. 

Remembering DeForest Kelley, On His 100th Birthday | TREKNEWS.NET ...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Piney said:

I believe the term is weaseling *****, considering she got off because she honked on Churchill's bobo. 

A complete insult to true female heroes of the Resistance like Rose Valland. It was largely due to her bravery and hard work during the occupation of France that the Western allies were able to recover and save as much looted art as they did after the war.

The Monuments Men society are publishing her memoir in English for the first time next year. If interested you can pre order it on their website. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

A complete insult to true female heroes of the Resistance like Rose Valland. It was largely due to her bravery and hard work during the occupation of France that the Western allies were able to recover and save as much looted art as they did after the war.

The Monuments Men society are publishing her memoir in English for the first time next year. If interested you can pre order it on their website. 

Rose was awesome. She helped save the country and the art.

She also should be a person the LGBT community promotes more in their cause. 

Cate Blanchett was also the perfect pick to play her in the Monument Men movie. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Piney said:

Rose was awesome. She helped save the country and the art.

She also should be a person the LGBT community promotes more in their cause. 

Cate Blanchett was also the perfect pick to play her in the Monument Men movie. 

Unfortunately I have yet to see it. Cate seems like great casting, I pretty much like her in everything I’ve seen her in. Would you recommend the movie in general?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Unfortunately I have yet to see it. Cate seems like great casting, I pretty much like her in everything I’ve seen her in. Would you recommend the movie in general?

Yup and Cate is my favorite Good Queen Bess actress. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yup and Cate is my favorite Good Queen Bess actress. 

Same here! No one else comes close except maybe Glenda Jackson.