Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The origin of a mystery language

Eldorado

The Uto-Aztecan language family has long been a mystery, stretching from Shoshone in Idaho to Pipil in Costa Rica and covering the American Southwest down into Mexico. While the language is diverse, with dozens of distinct versions, the shared root of the language has puzzled researchers because it has yet to offer a precise location of origin.

There are many proposed homelands for Uto-Aztecan, including the Great Basin, California's central valley, the Sonora desert, Southern Arizona, and Central and Northern Mexico, with different linguistic and archaeological evidence for each model.

Using genetic clustering of individuals by geography and language with groups likely to have spoken Chumashan, Uto-Aztecan and Utian, the study finds evidence for large-scale movement of genetic lineages characteristic of ancient and modern individuals from Northwest Mexico into both Southern and Central California by at least around 5,200 years ago.

phys.org

Genetic continuity and change among the Indigenous peoples of California

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06771-5

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for posting this great article.  I haven't thought about Uto-Aztecan for decades.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Thanks for posting this great article.  I haven't thought about Uto-Aztecan for decades.

They are certainly proof that all mammals travel in circles. I originally believed Utah was their Urheimat. Now I believe Northern Mexico. 

• Like 3