Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you think you could land a passenger plane in an emergency ?

UM-Bot

If its a simulator.

I was lucky enough to be allowed on the flight deck of a commercial holiday flight for a landing. I sat in the temporary seat between pilot and co pilot. Once down to the last few hundred feet things happen very fast and the planes real speed focuses the mind. Even when just watching.

My best simulator effort was land a fighter jet without fuel, something close to a space shuttle landing technique was needed.  

• Like 6

You mean on a runway?  with no casualties?     Nope.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I know I couldn't. I'm pretty sure all those lives I'd be responsible for would be on my nerves.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

There is still time for this kind of discussions. However, not for so long as pilots are going to be one of the first jobs to be replaced by AI. Only air engineers and "flight attendants with strong lungs" will last longer.

med_1548860545_image.jpg

Edited by josellama2000
  • Haha 5

I have yet to land on the carrier in Top Gun on the original Nintendo Entertainment System.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

According to a new survey, a surprising number of people believe that they could land a plane themselves.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/372528/do-you-think-you-could-land-a-passenger-plane-in-an-emergency

I could, I have played microsoft flight simulator.

Most wouldnt even know how to get the radio to work to get the advice they need. Its not as simple as people would expect. 

• Like 1

I did fly a Chipmunk for about 2 minutes back in 1980 when I was about 14 (Air Training Corp).- well, technically I had control of it, I didn't really do anything ....    Not having even been in an aircraft since, I doubt I'd have a hope in hell of even keeping an aircraft in stable flight today!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If I can land a seaplane, I could probably also land a regular aircraft. Maybe.

Have you landed a seaplane, impressive. 

• Like 5

On 11/28/2023 at 10:46 AM, XenoFish said:

I could land the plane, not sure how intact it would be. If at all.

I took a flight in a WWII trainer aircraft, a T-6 Texan.  The pilot let me take the controls once we were at altitude and the controls were so simple that I was able to do 3 aileron rolls and one loop.  Until the tandem skydive, that was the most fun I'd ever had with my clothes on.  :w00t: That pilot said landing was the most difficult thing to learn but what it got down to was that "gravity always wins".  He said the trick was to get it to win at the right moment :lol:

Edited by and-then
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Have you landed a seaplane, impressive. 

We've got a seaplane up at our cottage which we take out quite often. I've landed it numerous times, but have yet to work up the courage to land it at night. Nights at the lake are pitch black, so that's one suicide mission I plan on avoiding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

We've got a seaplane up at our cottage which we take out quite often. I've landed it numerous times, but have yet to work up the courage to land it at night. Nights at the lake are pitch black, so that's one suicide mission I plan on avoiding.

The RAF had the same problem back in the war, on the Dambusters German Dam's raid they fitted lights with beams that came together at a particular height. 

They wanted to fly at 60ft and 200mph. But the principal might be useful for you to help land ?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The RAF had the same problem back in the war, on the Dambusters German Dam's raid they fitted lights with beams that came together at a particular height. 

They wanted to fly at 60ft and 200mph. But the principal might be useful for you to help land ?  

Depth perception is extremely difficult at night, especially if you're in a full glass, no ripples situation. So yes, the solution the RAF came up with would most likely help somewhat. I would still not risk it though (unless it was a no other choice type of emergency). Thankfully we can land our plane on land (albeit with some damage) if we had to.

• Like 4

I was thinkin , if nobody knew how to land the plane and there was no help from ground control , maybe they could look up on their phones right quick on how to land it.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, openozy said:

I'd surely give it a go if nobody else would.

**heh!* ohmigodz and you're 12 no doubt, my kids were daredevils at that age. Broken bike frames, ? Hodaka motorbike in pieces --they couldn't make it across our very first paved road by the bus stop (road bank cut away maybe 20 feet up), many runs to emergency they thought they were rodeo stars or something.

hA!

" define land " 

. . .  so a wing and engine dragging a bit, tie a string on it, it'll be fine.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nosy.Matters said:

**heh!* ohmigodz and you're 12 no doubt, my kids were daredevils at that age. Broken bike frames, ? Hodaka motorbike in pieces --they couldn't make it across our very first paved road by the bus stop (road bank cut away maybe 20 feet up), many runs to emergency they thought they were rodeo stars or something.

hA!

" define land " 

. . .  so a wing and engine dragging a bit, tie a string on it, it'll be fine.

No 60, but if the plane was going to crash I'd give it a try, haven't got much to lose at my age. We have a kangaroo called Skippy over here that can fly helicopters, she is on all domestic flights now just in case 👍.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 11/30/2023 at 10:04 AM, L.A.T.1961 said:

Yup.  They had two Aldis lamps installed and aimed so that the two beams of light on the surface of the water would converge into a single point of light at exactly 60ft.  That was a costly mission but it had some of the most ingenious planning behind it that I've ever read of.  Spinning those "barrel bombs" at just the right RPMs and with "backspin" made the whole plan work.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Depth perception is extremely difficult at night, especially if you're in a full glass, no ripples situation. So yes, the solution the RAF came up with would most likely help somewhat. I would still not risk it though (unless it was a no other choice type of emergency). Thankfully we can land our plane on land (albeit with some damage) if we had to.

Wow... how long have you had your pilot's license?  Not learning to fly is near the very top of my regrets in life.  

• Like 3