Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Immigration - Labour vows to ditch low-wage visas for ballet dancers and 'arts officers'


pellinore

Recommended Posts

Labour will also stop immigrants undercutting the wages of our own workers:

Sir Keir said Labour would end the 'absurd' policy that those from overseas receive lower wages for the same jobs.

He told the Commons: 'Under this Government, a bricklayer from overseas can be paid £2,500 less than somebody who is already here. A plasterer, £3,000 less. An engineer, £6,000 less. The list goes on, it's absurd.

'Labour would scrap his perverse wage cutting policy, why won't he?'

Sir Keir said that the government was in 'open revolt' and the PM had a 'reverse Midas touch'.

Tories demand Rishi Sunak ignores 'guilt-ridden bourgeois liberals' and slashes immigration at fiery PMQs - with Labour vowing to outflank ministers by ditching low-wage visas for ballet dancers and 'arts officers' | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Immigration - Labour vows to ditch low-wage visas for ballet dancers and 'arts officers'
 
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • pellinore

    4

  • L.A.T.1961

    3

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, pellinore said:

Labour will also stop immigrants undercutting the wages of our own workers:

Sir Keir said Labour would end the 'absurd' policy that those from overseas receive lower wages for the same jobs.

He told the Commons: 'Under this Government, a bricklayer from overseas can be paid £2,500 less than somebody who is already here. A plasterer, £3,000 less. An engineer, £6,000 less. The list goes on, it's absurd.

'

Many builders, especially but not exclusively, in the south east are self employed migrants. They charge less and pay themselves less to undercut existing UK businesses as a business model.

I am not sure how Keir is going to persuade self employed migrants to charge more and pay themselves more than they want to ?

Unless he introduces a fixed builders wage and somehow polices the new law on every building site every day. 

Which would cost somebody, like us, more money. 

Its another example of how the labour party have no clue about what's going on in the real world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

 

Its another example of how the labour party have no clue about what's going on in the real world. 

So, the real world is the government saying they will crack down on immigration to ensure UK workers have fair wages, but actually let 100s of thousands of low paid workers into the country to undercut their wages? That is the real world, and if you think it is acceptable, good luck. I don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Many builders, especially but not exclusively, in the south east are self employed migrants. They charge less and pay themselves less to undercut existing UK businesses as a business model.

I am not sure how Keir is going to persuade self employed migrants to charge more and pay themselves more than they want to ?

Unless he introduces a fixed builders wage and somehow polices the new law on every building site every day. 

Which would cost somebody, like us, more money. 

Its another example of how the labour party have no clue about what's going on in the real world. 

It is your idiotic Brexit that cut off the supply of seasonal workers that has led to this situation- and it is not going to get better while we have these lunatics in charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't agree with what's happening at the moment but this new Labour policy will be gone like the paper wrapping my chips shortly and is worth less. 😉 

Many coming into the UK are students and for some reason their family's.

Others get work visas and have a job on arrival and are not low wage workers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pellinore said:

It is your idiotic Brexit that cut off the supply of seasonal workers that has led to this situation- and it is not going to get better while we have these lunatics in charge.

I guess this is also due to brexit, your failure to notice the general state of Europe is impressive.

Germany is experiencing a mass worker shortage. Can migration fix it?

About 320,000 more people will reach retirement age this year than become adults, meaning the German economy will lose workers while also having to pay more for pensions. Labor Minister Hubertus Heil told lawmakers in April that the economy will be missing up to 7 million workers by 2035 — roughly the population of Berlin, Hamburg and Munich combined.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/15/world/germany-worker-shortage/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I guess this is also due to brexit, your failure to notice the general state of Europe is impressive.

Germany is experiencing a mass worker shortage. Can migration fix it?

About 320,000 more people will reach retirement age this year than become adults, meaning the German economy will lose workers while also having to pay more for pensions. Labor Minister Hubertus Heil told lawmakers in April that the economy will be missing up to 7 million workers by 2035 — roughly the population of Berlin, Hamburg and Munich combined.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/15/world/germany-worker-shortage/

That's exactly why we need Freedom of Movement- in Europe. Europeans, looking after their own culture and society, rather than opening their borders like the UK has done: to Africa, the Middle East and anywhere else we can source cheap labour. Us Brits need to realise we are Europeans, not Africans or Indians, though looking at our government we are slow on the uptake- how many Ministers and Mayors do we have that are native to the UK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.