Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida students stage walkout after reassignment of staff who allowed trans athlete to compete

OverSword

Scores of students at a South Florida high school walked out of class Tuesday after five school staffers, including the principal, were reassigned for allowing a transgender athlete to participate on the girls volleyball team, in violation of state law.

Students at Monarch High School in Coconut Creek began marching from the school’s football field to the parking lot around noon Tuesday, chanting “trans rights are human rights” and holding handmade signs with messaging supporting transgender athletes.

Link

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that meteor can't get here quickly enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I personally do not support trans females competing against biological females but it's nice of these kids to show some support on behalf of one of their friends.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Edumakated said:

The country is doomed...

Only if those who disagree with the Left actually make a stand and refuse to obey an illegitimate government.  At that point, "doom" is better than the cowardice of total surrender.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, and-then said:

Only if those who disagree with the Left actually make a stand and refuse to obey an illegitimate government.  At that point, "doom" is better than the cowardice of total surrender.

Trans kid on the volleyball team. Time for fascism I guess.

• Like 6

How many of these kids actually cared about the issue compared to the kids who did it just to get out of school.

I suspect the overwhelming majority just did it to get out of school/have something different to do.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

How many of these kids actually cared about the issue compared to the kids who did it just to get out of school.

I suspect the overwhelming majority just did it to get out of school/have something different to do.

At this point, it's probably better to keep them out of the classroom as much as possible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sounds like the kids are expressing their First Amendment right to free speech. Even if they are protesting because the principal broke the law, the principal is being dealt with, as are the teachers who allowed this to happen. Though an argument could be made that the children should be protesting that the sanctions against the teachers aren't strong enough for violating the law, and I don't think conservatives would have issue if that was what the kids were protesting. . 

I said this in the Tommy Robinson thread, but the beauty of free speech is you don't have to agree with what someone is saying in order to fight for their right to say it. I was accused of supporting far right views in that thread, I wonder if I'll get accused of supporting the far left with this post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I counted about 80 students in the photo. In the 2021-2022 school year, student enrollment at Monarch High School was about 2400 students.
Apparently, about 95% of the student body supports keeping their sports teams segregated according to biological gender. 

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I counted about 80 students in the photo. In the 2021-2022 school year, student enrollment at Monarch High School was about 2400 students.
Apparently, 96% of the student population supports keeping their sports teams segregated according to biological gender. 

So not participating equals opposition.

That's as dumb as people who think if you don't champion Israel, you're a Hamas supporter or calling anyone who isn't a Magat a leftie. 

Blanket statements tend to come undone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's as dumb as people who think if you don't champion Israel, you're a Hamas supporter or calling anyone who isn't a Magat a leftie. 

But wouldn’t you agree that the opening sentence was ridiculous? It was the typical clickbait, emotionally-loaded phrasing that overshadows true journalism.

Scores of students at a South Florida high school walked out of class…”

There was no mention of the thousands that remained in class. It’s reassuring to me to see high school students refraining from participating in a protest that denigrates women and girls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

"Oh, the humanity!" Your post is the Hindenberg of irony.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, simplybill said:

But wouldn’t you agree that the opening sentence was ridiculous? It was the typical clickbait, emotionally-loaded phrasing that overshadows true journalism.

Scores of students at a South Florida high school walked out of class…”

There was no mention of the thousands that remained in class. It’s reassuring to me to see high school students refraining from participating in a protest that denigrates women and girls. 

Your just getting a bigotry hard on. 

Thousand of kids doesn't equal opposition. It means most of them likely don't know the person or much about the situation. It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that thousands of children all know each other well. That "scores" turned out is pretty impressive. Either the athlete in question is extremely popular or new generations are shrugging of hate values. Either way it's a good thing and is nothing like the picture you are trying to paint. It's only you degenerating people. Kids at that. That's burn in hell stuff right there. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Mysterious said:

"Oh, the humanity!" Your post is the Hindenberg of irony.

You make no sense. Is english your first language? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

new generations are shrugging off hate values.

Don’t kid yourself, psyche. Men participating in Women’s sports is a disrespectful attitude toward women that borders on hatred. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

I personally do not support trans females competing against biological females but it's nice of these kids to show some support on behalf of one of their friends.

The girls who walked out know better what their teammate's capabilities are than you do.

If they feel that their teammate is worthy of being female (since they are closely involved with them), should you not listen to their side?   Or do you want an obvious girl to compete against boys?  And what about male-to-female transfolk?  

It seems to me that the emotions boil down to two things:  "OMG!  BOY IN THE GIRLS' ROOM!  MIGHT RAPE THEM!!" AND "OMG!  THEY WANT TO EMASCULATE MY LITTLE BOY AND I AM GOING TO LOSE MY LITTLE BOY!!!!"

Meanwhile there's no real worries over REAL situations: young male interns being molested by older males, young women being sexually harassed and stalked and raped by men, gay boys/men being sexually assaulted by straight men (rape with objects), etc.  

The percentage of transfolk is around 8 to 9 percent or so of the population (LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia).  The number of females reporting sexual harassment (not by transgenders) is over 80%: Sexual Assault Statistics | National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)

So why are you so concerned about a small number of female-presenting people when an even larger number of females (which includes that same female-presenting population) are reporting sexual violence against them?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Don’t kid yourself, psyche. Men participating in Women’s sports is a disrespectful attitude toward women that borders on hatred. 

And yet the majority of female athletes disagree. I've posted this out to you before. https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/majority-of-female-athletes-support-the-inclusion-of-transgender-women-20220419-p5aehx.html

I will always take more note of those directly involved rather than loudmouths on the sidelines. 

Men I suspect are probably the actual greatest threat to women's sports. They belittle them, as do those claiming to speak for them. They make more money and get the best coverage. The recent Matilda's craze here is putting women's sports under a spotlight for a change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

The girls who walked out know better what their teammate's capabilities are than you do.

Ever consuder the possibility that they were upset their overwhelming advantage, near certainty of going undefeated, definitely winning districts, and almost certainly going to states and winning being taken away was a driving force behind them walking out.

People, especially athletes, like to win and will frequently go to whatever lengths necessary to guarantee a win especially when stuff like scholarships are on the line.  The reality is a team that goes to states is far more likely to have members who get scholarships to college then a team that has a losing record at district level regardless of the skill of individuals on the team.

Just also want to point out the American women's national soccer team, some of the best and most skilled female soccer players in the entire world, lose to under 15 boys teams.  Having a single male athlete is a massive advantage.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

I hear ya.

If a white guy puts on black face, it's cultural appropriation, and a crime!! But if same guy puts rouge and a wig, s/he is a superstar!! go figure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

If they feel that their teammate is worthy of being female (since they are closely involved with them), should you not listen to their side?   Or do you want an obvious girl to compete against boys?  And what about male-to-female transfolk?  

It seems to me that the emotions boil down to two things:  "OMG!  BOY IN THE GIRLS' ROOM!  MIGHT RAPE THEM!!" AND "OMG!  THEY WANT TO EMASCULATE MY LITTLE BOY AND I AM GOING TO LOSE MY LITTLE BOY!!!!"

Meanwhile there's no real worries over REAL situations: young male interns being molested by older males, young women being sexually harassed and stalked and raped by men, gay boys/men being sexually assaulted by straight men (rape with objects), etc.  

The percentage of transfolk is around 8 to 9 percent or so of the population (LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia).  The number of females reporting sexual harassment (not by transgenders) is over 80%: Sexual Assault Statistics | National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)

So why are you so concerned about a small number of female-presenting people when an even larger number of females (which includes that same female-presenting population) are reporting sexual violence against them?

Not sure if you intended to suggest that trans people make up "8-9% of the population" but the source you provided suggests that it's less than 1%. Perhaps you were thinking 8-9% is the number of LGBT, though that number is still significantly higher than previous studies, which have suggested a LGBT rate somewhere between 2-5%. But for the sake of argument let's say it is 9%, that is still not at all the same as trans numbers. 

That said, your comparison to women's rape issues is apples and oranges. Those statistics aren't the number of people who have gone to prison, or even been charged. Those are non-scientific self-reporting incidents and include things like "someone dog whistled in my general direction while I was on campus", which is NOT sexual assault no matter how you try to slice it. While any kind of sexual assault is clearly wrong, the numbers are nowhere near what is suggested by this article. 

Just putting a thought out there for your consideration. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

32 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I hear ya.

If a white guy puts on black face, it's cultural appropriation, and a crime!! But if same guy puts rouge and a wig, s/he is a superstar!! go figure.

What did you hear? 

He said nothing like that.

He says that the students who attend the school but did not participate in the protest are automatically in opposition.

That's a pretty ridiculous assumption.

These kids offer hope that the future is bright. With this attitude, barriers of bigotry will fall away as the older overly conservative generation is finally laid to rest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You make no sense. Is english your first language? 

I know English. Do you know history?

• Like 1