Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Welcome to Country scrapped in Northern SA

psyche101

The Northern Areas Council has made the decision to discontinue the Indigenous "Welcome to Country" greeting. 

Backlash after South Australia’s Northern Areas Council scraps Welcome to Country

The same decision was overturned in WA when proposed. 

Harvey shire rejects bid to scrap Indigenous Welcome to Country ceremonies at council events

Although the current practice is a modernised version that Ernie Dingo helped realise, it is based in and utilised aspects of traditional ceremonies pre settlement. 

Some people like it. Some hate it. 

Doesn't offend me. 

• Sad 1

Political events in Australia are never reported in the UK media. We know nothing about what goes on there. There was a tiny bit recently about a referendum in which, I believe, some sort of reparations were on the table? 2023 Australian Indigenous Voice referendum - Wikipedia

Other than that, I believe the Indigenous people have been treated a bit like Native Americans- largely ignored and sidelined once they were "subdued". Stolen Generations - Wikipedia

I could be wrong though.

I want to visit Australia- I've got the time and the money, I just need a bit more motivation.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

If done once, and at the start of an event? Sure. 
It gets tedious if on meeting 5 of a PD event every single speaker opens with an Acknowledgement of Country. 
Yes, I’m on Yuggera land. I know. I was born here. 
Yes, I know it’s policy. I also know the policy exists solely so you can say “oh look, we do X and Y” in order to tick a box somewhere. No government, no business gives a **** whose land it is/was/will be. 
I once stayed in a hotel that at 8am announced the Acknowledgment of Country every day. It was tokenistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Political events in Australia are never reported in the UK media. We know nothing about what goes on there. There was a tiny bit recently about a referendum in which, I believe, some sort of reparations were on the table? 2023 Australian Indigenous Voice referendum - Wikipedia

Other than that, I believe the Indigenous people have been treated a bit like Native Americans- largely ignored and sidelined once they were "subdued". Stolen Generations - Wikipedia

I could be wrong though.

No you're not wrong. 

I did a thread on the referendum. 

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

I want to visit Australia- I've got the time and the money, I just need a bit more motivation.

There's a cold beer in my fridge with your name on it.

How's that for motivation :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

If done once, and at the start of an event? Sure. 
It gets tedious if on meeting 5 of a PD event every single speaker opens with an Acknowledgement of Country. 
Yes, I’m on Yuggera land. I know. I was born here. 
Yes, I know it’s policy. I also know the policy exists solely so you can say “oh look, we do X and Y” in order to tick a box somewhere. No government, no business gives a **** whose land it is/was/will be. 
I once stayed in a hotel that at 8am announced the Acknowledgment of Country every day. It was tokenistic.

Ok cool, I've not really been exposed to that level, just as you say, sporting events. 

That does sound over the top. 

There's an 8 am in the morning now?

That sounds almost criminal. Not everyone wants a wake up call in the morning. 

Thanks for the feedback. Good points. 

17 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

No you're not wrong. 

I did a thread on the referendum. 

There's a cold beer in my fridge with your name on it.

How's that for motivation :)

Oh yeah, I knew I'd read it somewhere. The Guardian is the only paper here that I can recall reporting the referendum.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Oh yeah, I knew I'd read it somewhere. The Guardian is the only paper here that I can recall reporting the referendum.

Most countries gave it a mention. It was a quick campaign though. 

How the world reacted to the rejection of the Voice