Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge black hole is spinning so fast that it's distorting space-time


UM-Bot

Recommended Posts

 

"Spinning so fast that it's distorting space-time"??? What, if it were spinning slowly it wouldn't be distorting space-time then? :D

Edited by Rolci
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rolci said:

"Spinning so fast that it's distorting space-time"??? What, if it were spinning slowly it wouldn't be distorting space-time then? :D

I think they tried to include the addition of relativistic mass caused the kinetic energy of rotation.
But that mass may be nothing compared with the whole mass of the black hole, unless something weird happens that makes its linear velocity of rotation is really close to C. Moreover, i believe that this may happens only in big bangs, not with black holes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Rolci said:

What, if it were spinning slowly it wouldn't be distorting space-time then? :D

Not in the same way. Everything with mass distorts space-time to some degree, this is what gravity is. However when a massive object, such as a black hole, rotates rapidly it distorts space-time in a manner known as, "frame-dragging".

➡️ Frame-dragging - wikipedia

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2023 at 7:40 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Not in the same way. Everything with mass distorts space-time to some degree, this is what gravity is. However when a massive object, such as a black hole, rotates rapidly it distorts space-time in a manner known as, "frame-dragging".

➡️ Frame-dragging - wikipedia

Which doesn't just "kick in" at a certain magical angular velocity now does it?

And when you say "however when a massive object ... bla bla bla" do you not realize that there is no such thing? Or you also believe in a magical mass limit now? Like under that mass it's not massive but over it it's somehow "massive" (whatever you believe that word means). Can you explain what you define as massive, with scientific exactitude?

I won't even ask you about your use of the word "rapidly". Jesus. And "in a manner"? How many other different "manners" are there? Can you name some? Do you ever think when you type on your computer? You're hilarious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rolci said:

Do you ever think when you type on your computer? You're hilarious.

@Rolci Do you always resort to insults when people use simple words, phrases and concepts you don't understand?

19 minutes ago, Rolci said:

And when you say "however when a massive object ... bla bla bla" do you not realize that there is no such thing?

 

Really?

Quote

massive

Adjective

Source: wiktionary

Do you really believe that everything in the universe is massless or that there is nothing in the universe that has a large mass?

24 minutes ago, Rolci said:

I won't even ask you about your use of the word "rapidly"

Why not ask, you've already embarrassed yourself with your lack of comprehension of the word massive. Why stop there?

28 minutes ago, Rolci said:

And "in a manner"? How many other different "manners" are there?

Basic English comprehension is not your strong point is it?

Quote

in a manner

Prepositional phrase

in a manner

  1. (dated) Synonym of in a way

 

31 minutes ago, Rolci said:

Which doesn't just "kick in" at a certain magical angular velocity now does it?

It seems basic science comprehension is not your strong point either. There is nothing in my post that states or implies that there is a magical angular velocity, however a very basic grasp of very elementary scientific principles would have told you that any force acting on an object can be reduced to a level where it becomes insignificant to the point of being irrelevant and/or immeasurably small. A single grain of sand on a beach has a gravitational field but it can be ignored when calculating the gravitational field of a planet. The loss of that grain of sand would make no discernible difference to the orbits of the planets. The same is true of frame dragging, if an object has insufficient mass or insufficient velocity the frame dragging is, itself, insignificant.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.