Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eat a banana for a good night's sleep?

Eldorado

The Sleep Charity has released its top five tips for how to get better quality sleep in 2024, with fruit consumption shortly before bed topping the list.

It says bananas in particular can help you drift off due to their high level of magnesium and potassium, which help to relax muscles.

Bananas also contain the amino acid tryptophan, which stimulates production of brain-calming hormones, it adds.

Fruit also encourages the production of melatonin, a hormone that occurs naturally in your body which plays a big role in how well you sleep.

Full article at Sky News

• Like 6

Would that mean that a good multivitamin has the same effect?

They're higher in magnesium and potassium and you can add a nice melatonin supplement that would give all of these compounds in a much higher dosage.

• Like 2

I have only recently started eating fruit of an evening, in particular clementines and bananas, and I have been sleeping better than before! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Would that mean that a good multivitamin has the same effect?

They're higher in magnesium and potassium and you can add a nice melatonin supplement that would give all of these compounds in a much higher dosage.

I would think it would cost more to take supplements instead of fruit.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I would think it would cost more to take supplements instead of fruit.

Let's look at the math:

So, no.  Not much of a price difference.  Each has things that the other doesn't.

Unlike bananas, capsules are a standard size and a standard formulation.

Now... I'd rather eat a nice banana, but if I'm relying on a certain amount of vitamin or mineral, then I do better to take a supplement.

The bonus of the banana is that you've eaten something and you're less likely to wake up in the middle of the night and want to scarf down an entire bag of chips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Let's look at the math:

"It is important to remember that a multivitamin cannot in any way replace a healthful well-balanced diet. The main purpose of a multivitamin is to fill in nutritional gaps, and provides only a hint of the vast array of healthful nutrients and chemicals naturally found in food. It cannot offer fiber or the flavor and enjoyment of foods so key to an optimal diet."

Harvard University

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"It is important to remember that a multivitamin cannot in any way replace a healthful well-balanced diet. The main purpose of a multivitamin is to fill in nutritional gaps, and provides only a hint of the vast array of healthful nutrients and chemicals naturally found in food. It cannot offer fiber or the flavor and enjoyment of foods so key to an optimal diet."

Harvard University

True that!  (I miss True That what ever happened to her?)  What the body really needs are Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fats.  If you eat the right amount of these three absolutely necessary nutrients then you will get the proper amount of vitamins in your diet.  

• Like 2