Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

94-year-old vet struggles to move on after nursing home evicts him, replaced by migrants

OverSword

It sounds like New York City bought the facility to house asylum seekers. 

From link in post #1

The facility's owner, a New York City nonprofit called Homes for the Homeless, said in a statement that it intended to sell Island Shores "to focus on its core mission of serving homeless families" and the preferred buyer "would be another senior operator."

Staff assured the upset seniors that Island Shores would likely be sold and reopened. However, Tammaro’s daughter, Barbara Annunziata, was skeptical of the claim and reached out to the building's management for answers. 

"We knew something was going to go in there," Annunziata said. "They kept saying, ‘oh, they're going to sell it. They're going to sell it.’ That's what they kept telling me."

In August, Tammaro found out along with the rest of the community that Homes for the Homeless had made an arrangement with city hall to move migrants into Island Shores.

The facility was one of 200 buildings converted into emergency shelters to house some of the 130,000 migrants that landed in New York City after crossing the southern border since October 2022.

The influx of asylum seekers has stretched the city's budget and many of its services to their limits, with Mayor Eric Adams saying they are in "a desperate environment" during his trip to Mexico in October. And with 10,000 new refugees entering the city each month, he said there is "no end" in sight. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I was going to say that you can't discharge someone from a nursing home unless there is a plan of where they are going.

But perhaps those rules don't apply if the whole facility is shutting down?

At a guess the facility was shutting down because the owner of the facility knew he could milk city government money and walk away with a tidy sum.  Shame on the city for serving the needs of people not here legally over retired citizens preparing to fade into the twilight.  I can't imagine what a strain it must be for someone in their 80's and 90's to be evicted and have to go through everything you have to do to move like that.  Shame on the owner, shame on the city, shame on the USA.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Shame on the city for serving the needs of people not here legally over retired citizens

In case you forgot:  we live in a capitalist economy.  Immigrants are more profitable.

Doug

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

In case you forgot:  we live in a capitalist economy.  Immigrants are more profitable.

Doug

You would suppose that there would be certain zoning for senior housing which would likely be taxed at a lower rate and possibly rent controlled so it's probably not just a matter of moving the old farts out and the aliens in.  This took effort.

• Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, OverSword said:

You would suppose that there would be certain zoning for senior housing which would likely be taxed at a lower rate and possibly rent controlled so it's probably not just a matter of moving the old farts out and the aliens in.  This took effort.

Eh, capitalism doesn't really care about what is morally right.  Nursing homes requires nurses and other expenses and let's be honest with ourselves, the people and corporations that runs nursing homes do it to make money- not because they care about old people.  

It's supply and demand.  Right now there is a demand for housing.  If they didn't sell it to the non-profit, they would have sold it to someone else.

Is it right?  No.  Is it legal?  Yes.  

The idea for lower taxes and rent controlled properties for is a decent one.  It might even have applied at the place the veteran was at. But it's a two edged sword.  Rent controlled means that they can't squeeze out as much profit as they could with other tenants- like immigrants.  Hence, the selling out.

• Like 3

This might be a situation where honest property appraisal comes into play.  If it is rent controlled, it is worth less than if there are no impediments. Seems like that sort of stuff has been in the news lately. 

On 11/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, OverSword said:

So now you're asking the govt to intervene in the "free" market?

Doug

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

So now you're asking the govt to intervene in the "free" market?

Doug

I would have assumed the land was already zoned for that and it probably was.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I would have assumed the land was already zoned for that and it probably was.

Probably was.

But then, that's what zoning is:  govt intervention in the "free" market.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "free" market, anyway.  Somebody always tries to control it.

Doug

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Probably was.

But then, that's what zoning is:  govt intervention in the "free" market.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "free" market, anyway.  Somebody always tries to control it.

Doug

Zoning is not what I would label free market interference :rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Zoning is not what I would label free market interference :rolleyes:

Well that's great that you wouldn't label it that way. But that's exactly what it is.

Probably most accurate to state that it's a form of free market interference you agree with.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

Well that's great that you wouldn't label it that way. But that's exactly what it is.

Probably most accurate to state that it's a form of free market interference you agree with.

There has to be some regulations and rules eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

There has to be some regulations and rules eh?

Yes!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Here's the zoning rules if anyone cares: Microsoft Word - Senior Housing Regulations Two Model Laws.docx (ny.gov)

Edit to add: worth noting- it employs a "floating zone" system.  Basicaly the zone is where the nursing home is so if the nursing home disappears the zone disappears.

How convenient.

Odd that there are no vacant buildings that couldn't be repurposed for immigrants so that the seniors could have stayed where they were.

They are deliberately being sent to places with high population and no vacant buildings.  The whole idea is to create situations like this so that "The average American can relate to the immigration problem".  I think that was how Edumakated put it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

They are deliberately being sent to places with high population and no vacant buildings.  The whole idea is to create situations like this so that "The average American can relate to the immigration problem".  I think that was how Edumakated put it.

Set people up for failure then use that failure to justify why you set them up for failure.

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Set people up for failure then use that failure to justify why you set them up for failure.

The American way!