Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK bill to ban so-called conversion therapy


Eldorado

Recommended Posts

A bill will be introduced to the House of Commons which would ban all forms of so-called conversion therapy.

Backbench MPs from several parties have come together to draft the legislation after the government failed to deliver its promised ban.

The bill – seen exclusively by ITV News – seeks to “prohibit practices whose predetermined purpose is to change or suppress a person’s sexuality, or change or suppress a person to or from being transgender."

It will be tabled (introduced) in the Commons on Wednesday.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-12-04/mps-to-introduce-bill-to-ban-so-called-conversion-therapy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So no trying to help a person understand who they may or may not be?  Seems like that should be left up to psychiatry and not politicians. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So no trying to help a person understand who they may or may not be?  Seems like that should be left up to psychiatry and not politicians. 

That's not what conversion 'therapy' is. It's trying to force someone to conform to an identity they don't fit with.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Setton said:

That's not what conversion 'therapy' is. It's trying to force someone to conform to an identity they don't fit with.

Yeah. ;)  I know.  Let's ignore those detransitioned after being pushed in that direction at a young age like it's not an actual phenomena shall we?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah. ;)  I know.  Let's ignore those detransitioned after being pushed in that direction at a young age like it's not an actual phenomena shall we?

No, let's give everyone support to embrace their identity and not enable parents to force their children to confirm to their preconceived notions of what they should be.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

@OverSword your agenda is showing again...

No agenda here just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Setton said:

No, let's give everyone support to embrace their identity and not enable parents to force their children to confirm to their preconceived notions of what they should be.

Or people not the children's parents, because those parents didn't act on their own.  The mistake you are making is that this is a two way street.  The parent's did what?  Stopped their trans-kid from embracing who they feel like or forced gender non-conforming philosophy on a four year old.  Whatever the case this won't pass going by past legislation introduced this way in England.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Or people not the children's parents, because those parents didn't act on their own.  The mistake you are making is that this is a two way street.  The parent's did what?  Stopped their trans-kid from embracing who they feel like or forced gender non-conforming philosophy on a four year old.  Whatever the case this won't pass going by past legislation introduced this way in England.

Well let's see shall we? I think you might be surprised. Don't forget, this was a flagship government policy before they dropped it and certainly has opposition support. It'd be politically dangerous for the government to now oppose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

A bill will be introduced to the House of Commons which would ban all forms of so-called conversion therapy.

Backbench MPs from several parties have come together to draft the legislation after the government failed to deliver its promised ban.

The bill – seen exclusively by ITV News – seeks to “prohibit practices whose predetermined purpose is to change or suppress a person’s sexuality, or change or suppress a person to or from being transgender."

It will be tabled (introduced) in the Commons on Wednesday.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-12-04/mps-to-introduce-bill-to-ban-so-called-conversion-therapy

Shouldn`t it be someone`s choice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Yeah. ;)  I know.  Let's ignore those detransitioned after being pushed in that direction at a young age like it's not an actual phenomena shall we?

Its a good point, many were turned with conversion therapy yet they want it banned to turn them back.

Edited by Electric Scooter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Setton said:

Well let's see shall we? I think you might be surprised. Don't forget, this was a flagship government policy before they dropped it and certainly has opposition support. It'd be politically dangerous for the government to now oppose it.

And now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

So no trying to help a person understand who they may or may not be?  Seems like that should be left up to psychiatry and not politicians. 

Mental health experts rejected conversion therapy practices a long time ago. Not only does conversion therapy not work, it can also have devastating consequences such as depression and suicide.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Mental health experts rejected conversion therapy practices a long time ago. Not only does conversion therapy not work, it can also have devastating consequences such as depression and suicide.

And yet there is conversion therapy or counseling for the trans community, is there not?  Factually there are more and more testimonials from people that underwent this therapy prior to being convinced to transition that now claim they were abused, manipulated and coerced, and state that it has ruined their lives.  True or false?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And yet there is conversion therapy or counseling for the trans community, is there not?  Factually there are more and more testimonials from people that underwent this therapy prior to being convinced to transition that now claim they were abused, manipulated and coerced, and state that it has ruined their lives.  True or false?

Conversion therapy has just one goal and that is to repress, discourage and change a person’s non-heterosexual sexual orientation. It is vastly different from counselling that supports individuals who are in the process of exploring their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Testimonials from people who have undergone conversion therapy claiming abuse, manipulation and coercion are no surprise. Conversion therapy is not therapy, it's abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Mental health experts rejected conversion therapy practices a long time ago. Not only does conversion therapy not work, it can also have devastating consequences such as depression and suicide.

I think it should be about personal choices for adults.  By the time a person has reached emotional maturity, or legal majority, they should be able to make life-altering decisions but in the US, at least, there is a kind of "conversion therapy" that is being pushed on children in some states and OS is correct, the horror stories you point to are happening on those youths as well :( 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Mental health experts rejected conversion therapy practices a long time ago. Not only does conversion therapy not work, it can also have devastating consequences such as depression and suicide.

40% success rate I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Setton said:

That's not what conversion 'therapy' is. It's trying to force someone to conform to an identity they don't fit with.

At gun point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

Shouldn`t it be someone`s choice?

Spot on! Consent a person to live their life in any manner they deem fit is just as valid as for another to partake in the opposite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about a legal age limit for any & all of this...say 16.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

How about a legal age limit for any & all of this...say 16.

I absolutely agree with a minimum age to take any kind of permanent action. But that doesn't mean children under 16 (for example) should be forced to conform to stereotypical expectations.

If a 14 year old wants to dress in clothes typically associated with that opposite sex and got by different pronouns, what harm does that do them or anyone else?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Setton said:

I absolutely agree with a minimum age to take any kind of permanent action. But that doesn't mean children under 16 (for example) should be forced to conform to stereotypical expectations.

If a 14 year old wants to dress in clothes typically associated with that opposite sex and got by different pronouns, what harm does that do them or anyone else?

To balance that schools should not be engaged in messing with the identities of children.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

How about a legal age limit for any & all of this...say 16.

I agree with setting a minimum age and think the Canadian guidelines (as an example) are reasonable. Minimum age for genital reconstructive surgery is 18 years of age and 16 (with parental consent) for masculinization of the torso surgery (mastectomy).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.