Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ministers vow to slash 300k off record net migration by hiking minimum salary for a visa to £38k

pellinore

Anyone have any idea how this will work? Care homes and hospitality (hotels, pubs and restaurants) are desperate for staff (some are going bankrupt because they can't open for the number of hours that they used to do). Paying immigrant workers twice the salaries of our own people is going to help, how? Next year waiters, care staff, and baristas will earn considerably more than the average Brit, or, our workers will demand the same salaries. Imagine being in Miller and Carter or Nando's (I believe some people do go to those places) and tipping staff who earn quite a few thousand more than you earn.  We might reach the situation where waiting staff leave a tip for us as we leave after a meal: " Thanks for visiting us, here's a little tip, come again soon".

James Cleverly said 'enough is enough' today as he unveiled a new crackdown to cut the record level of legal migration - but he swerved calls from the Tory Right for an annual cap on numbers.

The Home Secretary outlined a five-point package in the Commons that included hiking the minimum salary required for a UK skilled worker visa from around £26,000 to £38,700.

He also launched a squeeze on dependants, saying care workers will no longer be able to bring their families to the UK with them.

Ministers vow to slash 300k off record net migration by hiking minimum salary for a visa to £38k and banning care workers from bringing dependants - but Suella Braverman leads Tory calls for an annual cap on numbers and says action should 'go further' | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pellinore

• L.A.T.1961

• itsnotoutthere

• Electric Scooter

It might be easier to work out how many arrivals the state can cope with and have a target to aim for.

I can't see those on 38k working in a coffee shop 

The problem is that it was claimed immigration is good and so more immigration has to be better.

Using this logic the uk could take whoever wants to come, even if its a million per year or more, in fact the number is already more than a million and its only the fact some leave that reduces the net number.

And if the issue is not controlled by some means, and as recession casts a dark shadow across the EU, there will be even more economic migrants wanting to cross the channel. 

7 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It might be easier to work out how many arrivals the state can cope with and have a target to aim for.

The problem is that it was claimed immigration is good and so more immigration has to be better.

Using this logic the uk could take whoever wants to come, even if its a million per year or more, in fact the number is already more than a million and its only the fact some leave that reduces the net number.

And if the issue is not controlled by some means, and as recession casts a dark shadow across the EU, there will be even more economic migrants wanting to cross the channel. 

We know the answer to that- none, if we are talking about housing and other social services. But if we want a growing economy, we need hundreds of thousands of workers (like all developed economies we have too many old people requiring resources, and not enough young people to support them). Social care and hospitality are still short staffed, even today after taking 500,000 immigrants each year since Brexit, so is farming and other industries.

If only we had a system where employers could take workers on short to medium term contracts to fuel their industries- say people from neighbouring countries that would work in the UK for 6 months or 2 years and then return home, instead of people from India and Africa who intend to settle for good. You know, like the system we had prior to 2020.

Funny how they can get it sorted just before a general election.

Don't be fooled, neither the Tories or Labour have any intention of putting the breaks on this, for a start they're not the ones making the decisions. 

Government's were quite happy to brush years of grooming gangs and the mass raping of children under the carpet for the sake of 'community cohesion ' , ask yourself if a countries officials, media, Police & government representatives don't care about it's children do you really think they give a fig about the rest of us?.

Thankfully my kids have had the sense to move to sunnier shores, and my wife and I will be joining them shortly, I dread to think what this country and the rest of Europe will become in the next 10 or 20 years time, but I think the recent protests in London is a 'heads up'.

https://www.steynonline.com/13949/diversity-rape-of-the-day

Edited by itsnotoutthere

On 12/5/2023 at 7:41 AM, pellinore said:

(like all developed economies we have too many old people requiring resources, and not enough young people to support them). Social care and hospitality are still short staffed, even today after taking 500,000 immigrants each year since Brexit, so is farming and other industries.

The problem, as we know, was caused by the baby boomer generation, it was a benefit when this generation was in their prime and just about the opposite now.

What I find confusing is although the boomer effect was discussed decades ago, as a future problem today, the equally foreseeable effect of the demise of the boomers is not factored in to future economic impacts. Politicians seem totally unaware of the upcoming restructuring of society. The death of the boomers.

When boomers have disappeared from the population will we need the massive NHS we fund today, or care homes and of course pension payments will reduce as a percentage of state benefits. 

So vast numbers of extra workers might find themselves unemployed, reliant on benefits just when the state has got from underneath the boomer problem.

Taking in more does not improve the economy when costs are factored in, more homes, roads, rail, schools, doctors and the rest, the idea it does is a simplistic fantasy. Using the unemployed we have should be the first place to look for shortages in staff.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:48 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think the underlying problem is that the UK isn`t producing enough low skilled adults.

We either need more worker drones, and even if they start multiplying now it will be 16 years before they are ready to serve our coffees, or we need robot drones. Japan has had them for years in coffee shops and restaurants but for some reason they haven`t made their way here yet. That might be wage suppression from past immigration making it cheaper to have a human rather than a mechanical drone.

We need more AI not more immigrants.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:48 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

Like I've said before, the logical solution would be to allow in EU workers on a seasonal or temporary basis, to fulfil required vacancies. Most EU workers wanted to return home anyway. The government always had the option of expelling them if they were 3 months unemployed anyway- but our government couldn't be bothered to enforce the rules.

It would still be the logical solution but the far right in the Tory party are ideologically opposed to anything European. The new system will disadvantage British workers on many levels, one being that if a company has several vacancies but only one at a senior level, that senior post must go to an immigrant. Otherwise, the posts won't be filled because the employer can't grant visas to low paid immigrant staff, so only Brits can be low paid. And there is this:

.... Counterintuitively, the package taken together means that, in some circumstances, British workers would face more restrictive rules on family than migrant workers in the same job."

"For example, health professionals in the NHS who come to the UK on skilled work visas would be able to bring their non-UK citizen partners with them.

UK citizens 'will have fewer rights than migrants' under new family visa rules, researchers say | Business News | Sky News

Edited by pellinore