Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC licence fee to rise by £10.50 to £169.50 in 2024, culture secretary says

Still Waters

The household payment, which funds much of the corporation’s operations, had been frozen at £159 and had been expected to rise in line with inflation next year. However, that increase, which, at 9%, would have meant an increase of about £15 from April 2024, had been reduced, the government said.

Speaking in the Commons on Thursday, Frazer said the increase would instead be based on September’s consumer prices index (CPI) rate of inflation, which was 6.7%.

More details soon …

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/dec/07/bbc-licence-fee-to-rise-by-10-50-next-year

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

hqdefault.jpg

If you get this you are old. :) 

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

The BBC is so right-wing, it doesn't deserve increased funding.

Cuckoo cuckoo, the springs have popped out of your mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

" it doesn't deserve increased funding." 

For once I agree. 

BBC faces boycott as 'cancel TV licence' searches soar over new rules

The BBC faces an exodus of viewers with a huge spike in "cancel TV licence" searches reported in the wake of the fee hike announcement. According to data compiled by SEO consultants, SEOtagg, searches for the term "cancel TV licence" multiplied by 10 times last week compared to the same period last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/bbc-faces-boycott-as-cancel-tv-licence-searches-soar-over-new-rules/ar-AA1loRw5?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=cb585b0eef3e4d5487001a6d2a8ce665&ei=24

👍

The TV license is an antiquated concept that originated decades ago when it actually made some sense.

These days, it's the equivalent of being legally obligated to pay for a Netflix subscription because you happen to own a TV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When my TV guide sub runs out in February, I will be cancelling my TV licence too. :angry:

24 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

When my TV guide sub runs out in February, I will be cancelling my TV licence too. :angry:

I might join you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saru said:

The TV license is an antiquated concept that originated decades ago when it actually made some sense.

These days, it's the equivalent of being legally obligated to pay for a Netflix subscription because you happen to own a TV.

You only have to pay the licence to watch BBC content or live TV, not for owning a television.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Setton said:

You only have to pay the licence to watch BBC content or live TV, not for owning a television.

While that's technically true, it can be easier said than done to stop paying for a license. The licensing authorities can threaten to send 'licensing officers' to your home and people have been met with all manner of intimidation tactics, typically involving letters containing threats of court orders and fines, simply for declaring that they don't need a license.

Even on the official website it says:

Why we need you to tell us: We may send an officer to your home because, if you do not get a TV Licence when you need one, you will be breaking the law.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/easy-read/what-to-do-if-you-dont-need-a-TV-Licence

For many, it's more trouble than its worth, whether they actually need a license or not.

With regular subscription services like Netflix, if you cancel your subscription you can't access the service. With the license fee, however, you can access the service if you have any sort of TV or receiver in your house at all (which is pretty much everyone), so the licensing authorities tend to take an intimidating 'comply or else' approach.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Saru said:

While that's technically true, it can be easier said than done to stop paying for a license. The licensing authorities can threaten to send 'licensing officers' to your home and people have been met with all manner of intimidation tactics, typically involving letters containing threats of court orders and fines, simply for declaring that they don't need a license.

Even on the official website it says:

For many, it's more trouble than its worth, whether they actually need a license or not.

With regular subscription services like Netflix, if you cancel your subscription you can't access the service. With the license fee, however, you can access the service if you have any sort of TV or receiver in your house at all (which is pretty much everyone), so the licensing authorities tend to take an intimidating 'comply or else' approach.

I don't see how that's any different to any other tax or payment for a service. Of course they might check you're not using it without paying. Just like Netflix has started cracking down on account sharing.

The idea of menacing enforcement officers interrogating you over your TV use only comes from people like @itsnotoutthere who have a personal vendetta against the BBC. I know plenty of people who've cancelled theirs. The few that had a visit showed them a TV not attached to their aerial socket and that was that.

• Like 1

If a tv licence officer comes to your home you're not obliged to let them in. Years ago, I came back from the shops to find one lurking in my front porch. I simply told him that as a woman living on my own I was not going to allow any Tom, Dick or Harry who turned up on the doorstep, into my house! I didn't hear from them again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Setton said:

The idea of menacing enforcement officers interrogating you over your TV use only comes from people like @itsnotoutthere who have a personal vendetta against the BBC. 

I think you have the wrong idea about that, intimidation and harassment over TV licensing has been going on for decades.

Even if they can't do anything to someone who has genuinely stopped using the service, a lot of people would simply prefer not to put up with the potential hassle.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Saru said:

I think you have the wrong idea about that, intimidation and harassment over TV licensing has been going on for decades.

Even if they can't do anything to someone who has genuinely stopped using the service, a lot of people would simply prefer not to put up with the potential hassle.

For a 2-year period my son didn't use the BBC as he used Netflix and some other streaming services (I think he still doesn't, but I was only involved for that period when he first bought a flat). He completed the online form in a few minutes. He has had no hassle whatsoever. None.

The people who feel intimidated are the people who think the BBC should be free and watch BBC content and try not to pay. I mean, it is excellent value (iPlayer, Sounds, R4, World Service, etc), reasonably impartial (contrast with GBNews which could cause brain damage) and tries to fulfil its charter obligations to inform, educate and entertain. And £13 per month equals one pack of cigarettes, 3 pints of beer or 3 Starbucks.

I do know that there are genuine concerns about the companies they use to try to enforce payment, but if people just paid, there would be no problem. I've bought a license for decades and no one has hassled me, ever.

But I do not accept that there are people who pay the BBC license fee if they are not receiving a service. Why would they? It would be like people who don't own a car feeling pressured into buying car insurance- I can't imagine anyone logging on to GoCompare to get the cheapest car insurance each year when they don't have a car.

Edited by pellinore

4 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I do know that there are genuine concerns about the companies they use to try to enforce payment, but if people just paid, there would be no problem. I've bought a license for decades and no one has hassled me, ever.

What about those who refuse to pay because they don't have a TV?

I studied in the UK for three years. I had been living in London less than six weeks when I started getting hassled about the TV License. I informed them I did not have a TV (never have, never will) and they did not believe me. If I had one, I would have paid the licensing fee willingly and without issue.

It got so bad, my parents hired legal counsel to deal with them. I never heard from them again.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I studied in the UK for three years. I had been living in London less than six weeks when I started getting hassled about the TV License. I informed them I did not have a TV (never have, never will) and they did not believe me. If I had one, I would have paid the licensing fee willingly and without issue.

It got so bad, my parents hired legal counsel to deal with them. I never heard from them again.

You must have imagined that. We've already heard from the authority on it.  :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Legal counsel to protect you from being hassled over a license for a non-existent TV?

So your parents hired a lawyer to take the BBC to court? Who advised you to do what? Complete the online form?  @Michelle is right, sounds like an overactive imagination. Pull the other.

Edited by pellinore

1 hour ago, Saru said:

I've no doubt that's the story plenty of people tell the daily mail for their 15 seconds of fame (and probably in some cases omitting the part where they actually should have had a licence...). But my post above is based on a sample I trust (my friends and family). Most people my age don't need a TV licence one and I don't know anyone who's had any hassle over it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Legal counsel to protect you from being hassled over a license for a non-existent TV?

So your parents hired a lawyer to take the BBC to court? Who advised you to do what? Complete the online form?  @Michelle is right, sounds like an overactive imagination. Pull the other.

My parents hired lawyers to send a cease and desist letter, which they did.

As for your condescension, whilst I have no issue having my comments questioned or challenged, I do not appreciate being insulted for them. I’ll not again give you the courtesy of a reply if you continue along that vein.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

My parents hired lawyers to send a cease and desist letter, which they did.

As for your condescension, whilst I have no issue having my comments questioned or challenged, I do not appreciate being insulted for them. I’ll not again give you the courtesy of a reply if you continue along that vein.

It was @Michelle who suggested the overactive imagination. Do you live in the UK? I do. And have bought or not bought a TV license for many years. A collection firm can only be used if someone has been convicted in court for using a TV without a license and refused to pay as the court directed. If you were convicted, fair enough, get your parents to get you off the hook. I'm not insulting you; I am just pointing out that collection firms can't just randomly demand money. What if a car dealer demanded you pay for a car you never bought? Or a holiday company, just because you moved into a property where someone who owed the money lived? Would you have to pay for a lawyer to get them off your back? No, you wouldn't. I promise you, you wouldn't. If what you were saying was the law, I could just ask enforcement agents to go around my town and demand money from everyone, for all sorts of services people may have had or not have had: plumbers, electricians, pet care- pay up or I'll take you to court. Do you think all these people would need lawyers to protect them, and if they didn't have lawyers, they would just have to pay me? 

9 minutes ago, pellinore said:

It was @Michelle who suggested the overactive imagination.

And you ran with it.

27 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Do you live in the UK? I do. And have bought or not bought a TV license for many years. A collection firm can only be used if someone has been convicted in court for using a TV without a license and refused to pay as the court directed. If you were convicted, fair enough, get your parents to get you off the hook. I'm not insulting you; I am just pointing out that collection firms can't just randomly demand money. What if a car dealer demanded you pay for a car you never bought? Or a holiday company, just because you moved into a property where someone who owed the money lived? Would you have to pay for a lawyer to get them off your back? No, you wouldn't. I promise you, you wouldn't. If what you were saying was the law, I could just ask enforcement agents to go around my town and demand money from everyone, for all sorts of services people may have had or not have had: plumbers, electricians, pet care- pay up or I'll take you to court. Do you think all these people would need lawyers to protect them, and if they didn't have lawyers, they would just have to pay me? 

Who said anything about a collection firm? I made it very clear in my first post that I did not own a TV and that I had notified them of that fact. So why would I owe them any money? I also made it very clear that I lived in London for three years.

The individuals harassing me were TV License Inspectors (or whatever they're called) wanting access to my flat to confirm that what I told them was indeed true. I finally told them that I was willing to have them inspect my flat but that they would have to make an appointment so that I could arrange to have an adult present (I was just a teenager at the time living alone). I did my best to be cooperative, yet they showed up unannounced one evening, managed to get through the locked main door by following another tenant in, and began banging on my door like they were the cops.

The cease and desist letter sent by our lawyers was to get them to stop the harassment and intimidation.There was no justification for what they tried to do that night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pellinore said:

It was @Michelle who suggested the overactive imagination.

But I was kidding. I have serious doubts no one has had any trouble from them. And there were at least a couple *ahem* who more than suggested it would never happen. It irks me a little when people act like the authority and final word on something they just might not know everything about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1