Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California requires gender-neutral displays for toys and childcare items at large stores

Michelle

California became the first state to say large department stores must display products like toys and toothbrushes in gender-neutral ways, a win for LGBT advocates who say the pink and blue hues of traditional marketing methods pressure children to conform to gender stereotypes.

The new law, signed by Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday, does not outlaw traditional boys and girls sections at department stores. Instead, it says large stores must also have a gender-neutral section to display "a reasonable selection" of items "regardless of whether they have been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys."

cont...

California requires gender-neutral displays for toys and childcare items at large stores - CBS News

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Jeesh…

Just have a TOY section

Clothes 0-1 Year, 2-4 Year

Bath Essentials

Shoes

Well, you get it…

Heck, just do it Retail wide. Warm clothes, swim clothes, summer clothes, under clothes…

My grocery store does it, I can usually find what I want.

Nibs

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

As someone who absolutely detested dolls and the colour pink, I'm all for this.

I didn't ask for dolls and had many other colors along with pink. But, yeah, let's keep dividing people with a separate section just for them. When I was a kid I didn't even look at what gender the kids on the front of the box were. As if it's anyone else's business what colors and toys kids like anyway. Nobody thought anything about me being the only girl playing kickball and climbing trees with the boys. *gasp* I might have even been wearing pink too! They would have gotten a piece of my mind if they had told me I shouldn't be doing that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HerNibs said:

Just have a TOY section

That seems to be what the law is doing. 

The new law, signed by Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday, does not outlaw traditional boys and girls sections at department stores. Instead, it says large stores must also have a gender-neutral section to display "a reasonable selection" of items "regardless of whether they have been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys."

They don't have to name it the "gender neutral" section. The law is just saying you can't call it the boy or girl section. Seems like Toys would be pretty straight forward.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I didn't ask for dolls and had many other colors along with pink. But, yeah, let's keep dividing people with a separate section just for them. When I was a kid I didn't even look at what gender the kids on the front of the box were. As if it's anyone else's business what colors and toys kids like anyway. Nobody thought anything about me being the only girl playing kickball and climbing trees with the boys. *gasp* I might have even been wearing pink too! They would have gotten a piece of my mind if they had told me I shouldn't be doing that.

It's not dividing anyone. The law just requires large toy stores to have a section of toys that isnt labeled the boy section or the girl section. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

That seems to be what the law is doing. 

Yep, it is. :)

I was just b*tching about the fact that any of it is broken down by gender.

While there are many gender issues that must be addressed and handled, the fact that we had to go make a freaking LAW about it is just…just…disappointing. 

Im not explaining my position well.

Im just frustrated and cranky.

Nibs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's not dividing anyone. The law just requires large toy stores to have a section of toys that isnt labeled the boy section or the girl section. 

I've never noticed a boys or girls section. The toy vehicles are together, the dolls are together. the skates are together, etc... Organized and makes sense. Just like has already been said, the grocery store has the vegetables, there's a bread section, there's cereal...where everything is easy to find.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

I've never noticed a boys or girls section. The toy vehicles are together, the dolls are together. the skates are together, etc... Organized and makes sense. Just like has already been said, the grocery store has the vegetables, there's a bread section, there's cereal...where everything is easy to find.

Assumed you were referencing the OP law?

But, yeah, let's keep dividing people with a separate section just for them

If you're talking about boy and girl sections existing on the other hand I agree. It's pretty silly that we still have sesperate boy and girl sections for toys.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

This is the actual law that was passed and signed by Newsom.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB1084

It seems stores that sell toys or child care items can still have a boys section and girls section but are only required to have a clearly marked gender neutral section.

The whole law seems stupid, a waste of time, nothing more than making people feel better about themselves, and being something politicians can point to and say they are doing something when really nothing was done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

This is the actual law that was passed and signed by Newsom.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB1084

It seems stores that sell toys or child care items can still have a boys section and girls section but are only required to have a clearly marked gender neutral section.

The whole law seems stupid, a waste of time, nothing more than making people feel better about themselves, and being something politicians can point to and say they are doing something when really nothing was done.

It dosen't have to be marked gender neutral. It just has to be gender neutral, which means it can't be marked as a boy or girl specific section.

You can literally call it the Toy section if you wanted. You just cant call it the boy section. 

in California that has a total of 500 or more employees across all California retail department store locations that sells childcare items or toys to maintain a gender neutral section or area, to be labeled at the discretion of the retailer, in which a reasonable selection of the items and toys for children that it sells shall be displayed, regardless of whether they have been traditionally marketed for either girls or for boys

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

I see it more as a much needed kick in the butt. Divided toy sections are so 1950s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I see it more as a much needed kick in the butt. Divided toy sections are so 1950s.

It doesn't really do anything though. 

The law is rather vague, any half decent lawyer will be able to argue some random aisle meets the legal requirements.  Even then the punishment is $250 for a first offense and $500 for every further offense.  For stores with over 500 employees that isn't even a slap on the wrist.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

It doesn't really do anything though. 

The law is rather vague, any half decent lawyer will be able to argue some random aisle meets the legal requirements.  Even then the punishment is $250 for a first offense and $500 for every further offense.  For stores with over 500 employees that isn't even a slap on the wrist.

I agree. I think it a shame the law was needed in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I agree. I think it a shame the law was needed in the first place.

Is it even needed though? Next time I go to a store with toys I'm going to make it a point to see if they have a girl's and boy's isle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Oh, so it wasn't labeled...as the law states.  Weird. 

Just now, Agent0range said:

Oh, so it wasn't labeled...as the law states.  Weird. 

Maybe they are in California. I live where people have common sense and can choose for themselves what toys they want whatever section they are in. But really, they are a "special" state.

No, I don't have a link for that. I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's called an opinion.

• Haha 1

Maybe they are in California. I live where people have common sense and can choose for themselves what toys they want whatever section they are in. But really, they are a "special" state.

No, I don't have a link for that. I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but it's called an opinion.

So wait...California made a law that replicates your common sense state, and you have an issue with it?  I mean, you realize the law wants to replicate your common sense state, which you agree with.  But you disagree with the law?  What's your real issue?

4 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

But you disagree with the law?  What's your real issue?

I think the government needs to stay out of people's business as much as possible and this is stupid. I'd hate to see what this guy would do as president, but he got his brownie points.

I think the government needs to stay out of people's business as much as possible and this is stupid. I'd hate to see what this guy would do as president, but he got his brownie points.

You think the government should stay out of business when it's something you agree with.  You're posts are not private.  It's cute that you try to paint yourself as an independent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Is it even needed though? Next time I go to a store with toys I'm going to make it a point to see if they have a girl's and boy's isle.

In some places it is indeed needed. I don't know about stores in your area, but large department stores in particular, tend to keep boys and girls sections separate. And it's not a matter of common sense and of being able to shop both aisles, it about the message the contents of those aisles send. Perhaps I'm projecting, but even as a child I found all those dolls, easy bake ovens, and feathered boas covered in glitter totally insulting. I never aspired to be a little miss Susie homemaker, and still don't. What parent in their right mind would want their kids bombarded with such stereotypes? Indeed, what parent in their right mind would buy into them in the first place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

In some places it is indeed needed. I don't know about stores in your area, but large department stores in particular, tend to keep boys and girls sections separate. And it's not a matter of common sense and of being able to shop both aisles, it about the message the contents of those aisles send. Perhaps I'm projecting, but even as a child I found all those dolls, easy bake ovens, and feathered boas covered in glitter totally insulting. I never aspired to be a little miss Susie homemaker, and still don't. What parent in their right mind would want their kids bombarded with such stereotypes? Indeed, what parent in their right mind would buy into them in the first place.

I loved my easy bake oven and also the race car tracks with the stores and gas stations. I took ballet lessons and had tutus for recitals. I played on softball and basketball teams. None of it made me anything. I still have a wide variety of interests. I like getting all dressed up and going out. I'm a welder in the filthiest atmosphere. I don't find much of anything insulting. There is nothing wrong with whatever you find that makes you happy no matter what section it's in. The kid will tell you what they want.

Boys need to learn how to cook too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I loved my easy bake oven and also the race car tracks with the stores and gas stations. I took ballet lessons and had tutus for recitals. I played on softball and basketball teams. None of it made me anything. I still have a wide variety of interests. I like getting all dressed up and going out. I'm a welder in the filthiest atmosphere. I don't find much of anything insulting. There is nothing wrong with whatever you find that makes you happy no matter what section it's in. The kid will tell you what they want.

Boys need to learn how to cook too.

That's exactly the message that needs to get across — that it's okay for boys to play with easy bake ovens and for girls to play with bows and arrows. Not everyone gets it. If anything, you're a prime example of how gender neutral toy sections can be beneficial to both sexes.

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

The idea of gender-specific toys goes back to beyond equal pay. Then, women were homemakers and men were the bread winners.  Children were expected to be preoccupied with the things they would be preoccupied with as adults- for females: toy ovens, irons, baby dolls, doll's houses, etc; for males: cars, tools, guns, etc.

Now that women can do all the things men used to do (WW2 and Rosie the Riveter was the start of it, now it is enshrined in law) children can choose whatever toy they want to play with. GI Joe and Action Man were dolls for boys anyway. Boys should learn to cook- many enjoy helping mom in the kitchen. It didn't need legislation, but doing away with gender-specific toys is healthy, imo.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

Okay opinions on the way.

Is it an inconvenience for stores to have gender neutral areas for toys? Beyond the labor of setting up area to be law compliant then my answer is No.

Should this have been legislated? No, let your kids pick the toys they want to play with regardless of the section they sit in. In the hands of some kids, Barbie still goes pew, pew, pew.

Edit: I couldn’t care less how a toy store is set up but if I were to have a store I would label the sections accordingly. Dolls, action figures, cars, puzzles, trading cards, games (age range when necessary) etc. gender didn’t even enter in to the equation and it would still be easy for kids to figure it out.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 4