Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunter Biden hit with federal charges for evading tax

Eldorado

The Department of Justice on Thursday filed new criminal charges against U.S. President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, accusing him of failing to pay $1.4 million in taxes while spending millions of dollars on a lavish lifestyle.

Hunter Biden, 53, was hit with three felony and six misdemeanor tax offenses, according to an indictment filed in U.S. District Court, Central District of California.

He faces up to 17 years in prison if convicted. The Justice Department said its investigation into Biden is ongoing.

"The Defendant engaged in a four-year scheme to not pay at least $1.4 million in self-assessed federal taxes he owed for tax years 2016 through 2019," the indictment read.

Reuters report at MSN

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The Department of Justice on Thursday filed new criminal charges against U.S. President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, accusing him of failing to pay $1.4 million in taxes while spending millions of dollars on a lavish lifestyle.

Hunter Biden, 53, was hit with three felony and six misdemeanor tax offenses, according to an indictment filed in U.S. District Court, Central District of California.

He faces up to 17 years in prison if convicted. The Justice Department said its investigation into Biden is ongoing.

"The Defendant engaged in a four-year scheme to not pay at least $1.4 million in self-assessed federal taxes he owed for tax years 2016 through 2019," the indictment read.

Reuters report at MSN

Would this be the same justice department Trump supporters relentlessly insist is corrupt and fanatically loyal to Joe Biden?

Edited by Setton
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think this is a good thing.

Rich, spoiled people who run around thinking, "Not paying taxes is smart!" need to start facing the consequences of their actions.  We are a country of laws and the laws say it is a felony.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Let the dice fall where they may.   I trust the US Justice system to do its job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wait, didn't a lot of people say explicitly that there was zero evidence? They defended Hunter with his two misdemeanors he was to pled guilty to.

Though this is a good start. I've read that there should have been other harder to prove charges, such as being an unregistered foreign agent.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/08/news/hunter-biden-again-dodges-foreign-agent-charge-in-indictment/

The foreign agent thing is one of the charges Mueller and Co. got many Trump associates with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I think this is a good thing.

Rich, spoiled people who run around thinking, "Not paying taxes is smart!" need to start facing the consequences of their actions.  We are a country of laws and the laws say it is a felony.

Regardless of political party, or (former) presidential status... :tu:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Setton said:

Would this be the same justice department Trump supporters relentlessly insist is corrupt and fanatically loyal to Joe Biden?

Yeah. When no one was watching they tried to erase these charges. But they got caught in front of everyone, and so now have to act the part in at least this case. Though it is El Jeffe's son.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Setton said:

It's the same FBI that put out a letter out stating Hunter's laptop bore "all the hallmarks of Russian disinformation" while 100% knowing for fact that the laptop did in fact belong to Hunter!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's the same FBI that put out a letter out stating Hunter's laptop bore "all the hallmarks of Russian disinformation" while 100% knowing for fact that the laptop did in fact belong to Hunter!

Wait...  You think the evidence for tax fraud was from his laptop?  It should be amusing to read about this case later during trial.

• Like 4

President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, has accused Republicans of trying to "kill" him in an effort to undermine his father's presidency.

His death "would be a pain greater than my father could be able to handle", the younger Biden told musician Moby in a podcast that aired on Friday.

The first of the two-part broadcast was recorded before Mr Biden was charged with nine major tax crimes on Thursday.

Republicans have accused the president and his son of influence-peddling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67668480

• Like 4

On 12/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, Paranoid Android said:

Both statements can be true though - it DID look like a Russian disinformation campaign, even though it turned out to be true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Wait...  You think the evidence for tax fraud was from his laptop?  It should be amusing to read about this case later during trial.

31 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Both statements can be true though - it DID look like a Russian disinformation campaign, even though it turned out to be true.

The FBI already had the laptop, they knew the source,  and they still chose to write a letter that casted doubt on it, at the height of the 2020 election cycle. 

I'm not sure how you can say that is no big deal considering these facts, but cheers for the chat. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

The FBI already had the laptop, they knew the source,  and they still chose to write a letter that casted doubt on it, at the height of the 2020 election cycle. 

I'm not sure how you can say that is no big deal considering these facts, but cheers for the chat. 

Alternatively, the FBI wanted to take the attention away from what they knew was a time bomb in order to ensure it blew up in the right way at the right time (ie in court) by pulling a “from a certain point of view” sorta-truth and not let the loons on the Internet “do their thing” with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Alternatively, the FBI wanted to take the attention away from what they knew was a time bomb in order to ensure it blew up in the right way at the right time (ie in court) by pulling a “from a certain point of view” sorta-truth and not let the loons on the Internet “do their thing” with it. 

By "the right time", I think you are right. However, I would argue that they wanted "the right time" to be after the election, after it's no longer dangerous to Biden and no longer helpful to Trump. If it was reversed and Trump's family had left a laptop, "the right time" would have been straight away, in order to damage Trump as much as humanly possible. 

The media has already admitted that this is exactly what they did, though they put it in nice words that are very scary if you scratch just a millimetre below the surface. "Fortify the election" is Orwellian at its core. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, Gromdor said:

I do believe it was one of the sources they used, from previous reading about his tax issues.

Edit to add...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/analysis-hunter-bidens-hard-drive-shows-firm-took-11-million-2013-2018-rcna29462

NATIONAL SECURITY
Analysis of Hunter Biden's hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fast

Info on what he collected, what he spent, and on what he spent it on. All things the indictment was concerned with.

Edited by DieChecker

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, has accused Republicans of trying to "kill" him in an effort to undermine his father's presidency.

His death "would be a pain greater than my father could be able to handle", the younger Biden told musician Moby in a podcast that aired on Friday.

The first of the two-part broadcast was recorded before Mr Biden was charged with nine major tax crimes on Thursday.

Someone tell Hunter not to go visit Aunt Hillary anytime soon....

4 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

The letter in question was written by former intelligence officials. Some were members of the FBI formerly, no doubt. But not at the time. So I don't believe that the problematic letter originated with the actual FBI.

Hence, the pronoun "they" being used with the only antecedent being "the FBI" is potentially misleading.

I think the conflation of what the actual FBI was doing with a bunch of former officials is incorrect. Perhaps we could say the actual FBI should have told them they were wrong.

On 12/8/2023 at 7:38 AM, Setton said:

That's what I was going to say.

The justice department going after the presidents son sounds like a pretty strong separation of power.

Though if Trump gets his way with project 2025 that separation won't be there. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

The letter in question was written by former intelligence officials. Some were members of the FBI formerly, no doubt. But not at the time. So I don't believe that the problematic letter originated with the actual FBI.

It was interesting that individuals such as Leon Panetta, Jim Clapper, Mike Haysen, and John Brennan all signed this. All former intelligence guys of the highest order.

And for what? A laptop of emails people said showed nothing, and had racy pictures??

What could make these giants in the business come together so quickly, and so directly say that "this is fake"??

To me that says, obviously, that THEY did believe it to be a big deal, and WANTED it to be information. And ot has, since, proven to be a fount of information that continues to dog Hunter, and Joe.

I bet Hunter got taken "to the woodshed" for that one...

I doubt also that the FBI wasn't consulted on this. Not with these former heads of intelligence all involved. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 4:29 PM, Paranoid Android said:

Is that the same DOJ that investigated Hilary's email in 2016, throwing the election to Trump?

Sounds like politics as usaul.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, Doug1066 said:

Is that the same DOJ that investigated Hilary's email in 2016, throwing the election to Trump?

Sounds like politics as usaul.

Doug

God bless America.

It was FBI that scuttled HRC with the help of Anthony Weiner and a laptop.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:56 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I finally found someone with a chance to answer the age old question:  How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?  :w00t:

27 minutes ago, and-then said:

I finally found someone with a chance to answer the age old question:  How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?  :w00t:

Depends on what they’re dancing, tango is just two, but you need 12 for a cotillion. 

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:20 AM, Eldorado said:

Both republicans and democrats use family to attack their opponents. Nothing new

19 hours ago, DieChecker said:

God bless America.

It was FBI that scuttled HRC with the help of Anthony Weiner and a laptop.

James Comey could have kept silent.  The case wound up going nowhere anyway.  Comey needed the Dems when Trump fired him, but the Dems wouldn't come to his rescue.  What goes around comes around.  Or:  be nice to them on the way up because you might need them on the way down.

Doug

• Like 1