Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6-Year-Old Girl Becomes First Female to Solve Rubik’s Cube in Under 6 Seconds

Grim Reaper 6

Qixian, who hails from China’s Jiangsu Province, started playing with a Rubik’s cube when she was only three, inspired by a cousin who taught her the art of ‘speed-cubing’, solving the world-famous puzzle as quickly as possible. However, after about a year, the girl got so good at it that her cousin had nothing to teach her anymore and her parents got her a speed-cubing coach. She enjoyed speed-solving the Rubik’s cube so much that she practiced for two to three hours every day, and her time was getting better and better. However, there was a point where she hit a wall and needed all of her family’s help to overcome it.

To be able to motivate and help her overcome this hurdle, Cao Qixian’s entire family took up Rubik’s cube speed-cubing and even participated in adult competitions. However, no one dared to dream that the gifted speed-cuber would be able to set a new world record at the tender age of six. And yet, at the World Cube Association (WCA) Rubik’s Cube International Open in Singapore, she became the first female to solve the 3x3x3 Rubik’s cube in under 6 seconds in the average category.

https://www.odditycentral.com/events/6-year-old-girl-becomes-first-female-to-solve-rubiks-cube-in-under-6-seconds.html

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Took me months to solve it. 

I can complete the Rubik's cube in under 60 seconds, but I'm not up to this level.  I recommend oiling your cube to make it move quickly and smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't 'solve' it, in the sense that I see many folks seem to be able to recognise the state it is in and then in a very short number of moves - Shazam!!.

But I did learn all the moves to solve it methodically (the first two layers are dead easy, but then you need to learn several moves to shuffle and re-orient the corner cubes of the last layer without mucking up the rest..  I can do that in under 6..  minutes. :D 

And Al is right, a tiny bit of lubrication is good, but be warned that if it has stickers and the oil gets underneath .. that is the end of your cube!  I would suggest that if you have a cheap one, don't bother.  Buy a decent one (make sure you play with it first - the difference is amazing when you find a really good one).

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I can't 'solve' it, in the sense that I see many folks seem to be able to recognise the state it is in and then in a very short number of moves - Shazam!!.

But I did learn all the moves to solve it methodically (the first two layers are dead easy, but then you need to learn several moves to shuffle and re-orient the corner cubes of the last layer without mucking up the rest..  I can do that in under 6..  minutes. :D 

And Al is right, a tiny bit of lubrication is good, but be warned that if it has stickers and the oil gets underneath .. that is the end of your cube!  I would suggest that if you have a cheap one, don't bother.  Buy a decent one (make sure you play with it first - the difference is amazing when you find a really good one).

I had absolutely no idea that Rubik's Cubes were still a thing.  

Edited by joc

{Sheepish} It's my favourite adult toy... {/sheepish}

er .. that doesn't sound quite like I intended..😏

• Haha 3