Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump is off the Colorado ballot

susieice

Trump Is Disqualified From the 2024 Ballot, Colorado Supreme Court Rules - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

It’s the first court to find that the disqualification clause of the 14th Amendment applies to Mr. Trump, in addition to affirming that he engaged in insurrection.

Former President Donald J. Trump is ineligible to hold office again, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, accepting the argument that the 14th Amendment disqualifies him in an explosive decision that could upend the 2024 election.

In a lengthy ruling ordering the Colorado secretary of state to exclude Mr. Trump from the state’s Republican primary ballot, the justices reversed a Denver district judge’s finding last month that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment — which disqualifies people who have engaged in insurrection against the Constitution after having taken an oath to support it from holding office — did not apply to the presidency.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

Colorado Supreme Court removes Trump from 2024 ballot based on 14th Amendment’s ‘insurrectionist ban’ | CNN Politics

CNN — 

In a stunning and unprecedented decision, the Colorado Supreme Court removed former President Donald Trump from the state’s 2024 ballot, ruling that he isn’t an eligible presidential candidate because of the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

The ruling was 4-3.

The ruling will be placed on hold until January 4, pending Trump’s appeal to the US Supreme Court, which could settle the matter for the nation.

The state Supreme Court decision only applies to Colorado but the historic ruling will roil the 2024 presidential campaign. Colorado election officials have said the matter needs to be settled by January 5, which is the statutory deadline to set the list of candidates for the GOP primary scheduled for March 5.

“President Trump did not merely incite the insurrection,” the majority wrote in its unsigned opinion. “Even when the siege on the Capitol was fully underway, he continued to support it by repeatedly demanding that Vice President (Mike) Pence refuse to perform his constitutional duty and by calling Senators to persuade them to stop the counting of electoral votes. These actions constituted overt, voluntary, and direct participation in the insurrection.”

“We conclude that the foregoing evidence, the great bulk of which was undisputed at trial, established that President Trump engaged in insurrection,” the opinion adds. “President Trump’s direct and express efforts, over several months, exhorting his supporters to march to the Capitol to prevent what he falsely characterized as an alleged fraud on the people of this country were indisputably overt and voluntary.”

I see an appeal to the Supreme Court coming in the near future, that is where the final decision will be made. But, I am hopeful that the Supreme Court will side with the Colorado Supreme Courts decision.:tu:

Great Thread Susie:tu:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, and-then said:

Trump has never even been officially charged with "insurrection" so this will percolate up to the SCOTUS and be overturned...

By bought, and paid for corrupt judges. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, and-then said:

Trump has never even been officially charged with "insurrection" so this will percolate up to the SCOTUS and be overturned...

Yet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I see an appeal to the Supreme Court coming in the near future, that is where the final decision will be made. But, I am hopeful that the Supreme Court will side with the Colorado Supreme Courts decision.:tu:

Great Thread Susie:tu:

We may see more states attempt to pass this. I could be wrong but the appeal to Colorado has to be by January 5th as it's the deadline. Doesn't that have to happen before it can go to the Supreme Court?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

Time will tell, it’s possible that the Charges that the Colorado Supreme Court brought is all a state needs to remove someone from the ballot. But, like you said that will be a decision for the Supreme Court to make.:yes:

• Like 6

Just now, susieice said:

We may see more states attempt to pass this. I could be wrong but the appeal to Colorado has to be by January 5th as it's the deadline. Doesn't that have to happen before it can go to the Supreme Court?

Susie, I would think it would, but I am not an expert on these issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Time will tell, it’s possible that the Charges that the Colorado Supreme Court brought is all a state needs to remove someone from the ballot. But, like you said that will be a decision for the Supreme Court to make.:yes:

How long will the courts be closed for Christmas and New Years? Just thought I'd put that in here.

• Like 4

Just now, susieice said:

How long will the courts be closed for Christmas and New Years? Just thought I'd put that in here.

I believe they are closed until January 3, 2024.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, and-then said:

More proof of election interference and fear Trump will win in 2024.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I believe they are closed until January 3, 2024.

So an appeal in Colorado won't see a judge before the 3rd? That's not a lot of time.

• Like 3

Incoming rant will be epic.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

So an appeal in Colorado won't see a judge before the 3rd? That's not a lot of time.

No it certainly isn’t, it almost seems impossible and it’s probably why Colorado waited so long to ban him so they could force the issue.:yes:

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

No it certainly isn’t, it almost seems impossible and it’s probably why Colorado waited so long to ban him so they could force the issue.:yes:

I'm sure there was some strategy involved but SCOTUS holds sway on truly national issues and can rule even after such deadlines, if necessary.  Other states have already tried this and it gets back to the level of importance, nationally.  Trump is the 2024 nominee and is the leading candidate, period.  He's out-polling all other Republicans and is even edging out the assumptive Democrat.  When one looks at the issue objectively, SCOTUS will be looking not at the hatred of Trump but at the impact to our system and to the separation of powers.  We are about 11 months away from an election and there is no reason not to simply let the people choose. Any way you look at these cases, it all amounts to an attempt by the judiciary to stop the people having a choice in an election.  For a party that regularly complains of "threats to democracy" I find it ironic they are trying this means to subvert that democracy.

• Like 3

This is when the Supreme Court will be on Christmas/ New Year's break. What ever happens has to be in the next 4 days and if they will be able to schedule it. I do think it has to go through Colorado first.

23 December 2022

Supreme Court: 4:30pm 23 December 2022 to 16 January 2023

www.shine.com.au/resources/legal-news/what-happens-to-the-courts-over-chris…
Edited by susieice
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, and-then said:

Only if it can be proven to be a first amendment right. Good luck with that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, and-then said:

I'm sure there was some strategy involved but SCOTUS holds sway on truly national issues and can rule even after such deadlines, if necessary.  Other states have already tried this and it gets back to the level of importance, nationally.  Trump is the 2024 nominee and is the leading candidate, period.  He's out-polling all other Republicans and is even edging out the assumptive Democrat.  When one looks at the issue objectively, SCOTUS will be looking not at the hatred of Trump but at the impact to our system and to the separation of powers.  We are about 11 months away from an election and there is no reason not to simply let the people choose. Any way you look at these cases, it all amounts to an attempt by the judiciary to stop the people having a choice in an election.  For a party that regularly complains of "threats to democracy" I find it ironic they are trying this means to subvert that democracy.

Rabble, rabble, rabble. *holds swatch tightly, and prays over it*

• Like 4

I've changed my mind.  Up until today I've wanted Nikki Haley to be the Republican candidate.  I'm now switching 100% to Trump,  if only so that I can laugh at the reactions when everyone writing him off gets egg on their face. 

What can I say  I can be a real contrarian at times :w00t:

There will be a lot of Independents thinking the same thing. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is under controversy. It was already appealed but the decision to take him off the ballot stood.

Both sides appeal ruling Trump engaged in Jan. 6 insurrection but can still run in 2024 - ABC News (go.com)

Both the legal team for former President Donald Trump and a group of six voters represented by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) on Monday evening appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court over a lower court's ruling that Trump should appear on the state's Republican primary ballot despite finding that he engaged in an insurrection on Jan. 6, 2021.

CREW's initial legal challenge sought to bar Trump from appearing on the ballot in 2024 due to an alleged violation of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment -- a constitutional clause that prevents anyone from holding office again if they took an oath "as an officer of the United States" but then "engaged in insurrection or rebellion."

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, and-then said:

I suspect that more states are going to follow Colorado, so I think an issue like this should be placed at the top of the Supreme Court’s agenda. In my opinion the PEOPLE should choose, I think there should be a separate ballot just for this issue so it can truly be placed in the hands of the AMERICAN PEOPLE. I don’t currently have much faith that the Supreme Court itself, so let the American people actually decide by special ballot that should be fair don’t you think?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, and-then said:

That's the rub and why it will likely be over turned.  How can you remove someone from the ballot for a crime and that person has not been convicted of it...  regardless of what people's opinion may be, Trump has not been convicted of being an insurrectionist.  

• Like 3

It is clear with all the lawfare being thrown at Trump, the Democrats are scared of him.  They rather try to remove him from ballot than just win fairly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2