Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone remember or have a link for the story of image that a lot of people have a false memory of?

George Ford

I think I actually read it here several years ago, a forum post about how people remember an old black and white (or sepia) photo of a Thunderbird (or some other huge bird), it is nailed or propped up on or in a barn and some cowboys are standing about posing in front of the beast as if they killed or discovered it. 

The rest of the info is from my not so great memory so likely mixed up or outright incorrect.

I think there OP's post said something about how people remember the image but there is no known record of it, then people replying said they remembered it but no one could find it, I even think I dug out some old Cryptid/Unexplained Mystery books to try and find it as I thought I had the image somewhere. 

Anyone know what I'm talking about or is this all just a fever dream? 

• Like 2

There is a supposed photo from the old west if a thunderbird that was killed by some hunters and published in a Tombstone newspaper. The photo shows the bird either upright or nailed to a barn (depending on who you believe) with a group of men standing in front. There have been several recreations and even a civil war with a pterodactyl version made for a tv show.

It was often claimed that the photo could be found in the Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown book series. It was not. I owned this entire series and checked back when there was a large thread about it on here

image.jpeg.2092286505b8aa33a78eebe6e520b206.jpeg

• Like 2

I've been able to find two threads about the Tombstone Thunderbird:

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Occupational Hubris said:

There is a supposed photo from the old west if a thunderbird that was killed by some hunters and published in a Tombstone newspaper. The photo shows the bird either upright or nailed to a barn (depending on who you believe) with a group of men standing in front. 

The thunderbird photo was incorrectly thought to have been published in the Tombstone newspaper. The 1890 Epitaph article about the story does not actually have an accompanying photo. The creature was originally described as more like a dragon than a bird and it was not nailed to a barn. The whole idea of the photo is a later embellishment.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95060905/1890-04-26/ed-1/seq-3/

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 5

I'm one of those that remembers the photo from an old book.  HUGE thread discussing the photo, not the thunderbird.

Nibs

Dunno if this link works but...

I "think" I remember seeing a picture in a book or magazine in the 80s. 

But

I know I have seen numerous discussions - and pictures - on the internet over the past 20 years.   In most case suggesting there was an earlier picture ..... which might have been the one I "think" I remember seeing .....   But I cannot say whether the picture I "think" I remember seeing is one of the ones I have seen subsequently or not.   

And therefore I cannot rely on my memory.  

This is how false memories are created ;)   (see the Mandela Effect)

• Like 2

There are a several different photos (all of them faked,) so you probably remember seeing one of them.
I saw one decades ago. I have since seen two other ones that were different - made by different people trying to cash in.

Harte

• Like 1

if she had a set of wings man, I know she could fly!  image.jpeg.393384eaf882ef0e94ef0894e976325d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

This picture from former Yugoslavia shook the world in the 90s, during the civil war.

It's supposed to show concentration camp prisoners, but it turned out they were refugees seeking asylum at a refugee camp. They are standing outside the fence.

image003.jpg

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hold on. I laid it down here somewhere...  But I can't seem to remember where.... :hmm:

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2024 at 6:55 PM, George Ford said:

I think I actually read it here several years ago, a forum post about how people remember an old black and white (or sepia) photo of a Thunderbird (or some other huge bird), it is nailed or propped up on or in a barn and some cowboys are standing about posing in front of the beast as if they killed or discovered it. 

The rest of the info is from my not so great memory so likely mixed up or outright incorrect.

I think there OP's post said something about how people remember the image but there is no known record of it, then people replying said they remembered it but no one could find it, I even think I dug out some old Cryptid/Unexplained Mystery books to try and find it as I thought I had the image somewhere. 

Anyone know what I'm talking about or is this all just a fever dream? 

I have a few mental issues like panic and OCD etc, when a thread popped up about this alleged bird pic I thought to myself as a kid in the , 70s "seems" I recall such a picture, so I went looking and no, I didn't find the pic I thought I recalled but I also do not at all subscribe this to silly made up ,for profit names for false memories ( Mandela effect)

It's almost pointless for me to hunt it now since it did become a thing a lot of fakes made after the fact are how there but none fit what I thought I recalled, it didn't exist.

Just because I don't subscribe to paranormal explanation doesn't mean due to my OCD something like this doesn't bug me a bit, in my case I think what I originally saw was this...

images(41).jpg.035769429cafcf2612d2102a718d66da.jpg

The idea of hunters with a kill was simply salting of my memory because the giant bird idea wasn't one I was especially interested in now if I went to find an old pic of something that I do have a far better memory of and it came back not to exist that would throw my OCD in a tizzy but testing it countless times I always confirm myself.

There is one case I have of a memory that is false or I should say false for now and likely always will be.

• Like 3