Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptic group offers $500,000 for proof of paranormal abilities

UM-Bot

Safe bet that will never be paid out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I think paranormal abilities might exist, based on what I've seen and read, but I also think that such events don't follow scientific requirements, such as reproducibility, and can therefore not be proven.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If one did have actual paranormal abilities and a modicum of intelligence,  they wouldn't come near that prize.  They would know that they would never get to spend the $500k .  They would be running from  the numerous groups who would want to study or exploit them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

If one did have actual paranormal abilities and a modicum of intelligence,  they wouldn't come near that prize.  They would know that they would never get to spend the $500k .  They would be running from  the numerous groups who would want to study or exploit them.

According to thousands of posts on social media there are a plethora of psychics out there that aren't afraid of putting themselves out there. Haven't heard of mass disappearances by spooky "groups". Heck there is an entire small town about 40 miles from me that is full of "mediums" (see Casadaga, FL).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

According to thousands of posts on social media there are a plethora of psychics out there that aren't afraid of putting themselves out there. Haven't heard of mass disappearances by spooky "groups". Heck there is an entire small town about 40 miles from me that is full of "mediums" (see Casadaga, FL).

You bet.  Magicians are all over the place too, doing all kinds of illusions onstage. We know its a trick, come to expect it, few believe it really is magic.  Same with psychics.  They make their living  doing shows, not necessarily for being right.

• Like 1

Skeptics... they put a ton  of effort into saying "Nyet" and at  the end of the day, never have anything to show for it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Seems I got cutoff.
I was able to predict pointless things like how much coins totalled in a container. Jellybeans in a jar. Silly stuff. Then I had slow motion moments where time would slow down ridiculously slow while playing hockey and baseball. Once my body was taken over and I made the only diving catch in baseball when I was 18yo. I walked into a house party and named off the first 8 cards of a deck of cards on a table. They looked at me in a way that made me leave and not point it out again. I'm sure there's more going on, but I chose to ignore it because of the reactions I received. Yes, sounds silly. But, it's the first time I posted on social media about it. Go easy on me. Cheers.
  • Like 1

Now just relax ur spirit while we stick probes on/in you.
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, fred_mc said:

but I also think that such events don't follow scientific requirements, such as reproducibility, and can therefore not be proven.

That's exactly right and the scientists will never experience anything of this because of their doubt. There are some things money can't buy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openozy said:

That's exactly right and the scientists will never experience anything of this because of their doubt. There are some things money can't buy.

Oh they have zero problem charging money for their "services" though.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

The problem with this (and Randi's prize) is that the final judges are people determined not to lose and antagonistic to the paranormal in attitude. It's a publicity stunt. And UM is giving them a little publicity here.

Any meaningful real test requires neutral and independent final judges. I believe there are people that could win such tests.

Edited by papageorge1

7 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

Oh they have zero problem charging money for their "services" though.

Not the genuine ones.

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe there are people that could win such tests.

they obviously don't otherwise they would take the test, wouldn't they!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The problem with this (and Randi's prize) is that the final judges are people determined not to lose and antagonistic to the paranormal in attitude. It's a publicity stunt. And UM is giving them a little publicity here.

Any meaningful real test requires neutral and independent final judges. I believe there are people that could win such tests.

What a pile of Buffalo bagels. 

Facts are facts. Can you say the sky is coloured with yellow and green polka dots? No, you can go outside and see it. 

Same with the paranormal. It exists as anecdotes only. 

The amount of claims with zero evidence is evidence in itself that the paranormal is but a human fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 2:40 AM, esoteric_toad said:

Safe bet that will never be paid out.

There has been many such challenges. 

Nobody has ever come up with the goods as promised on the day. The most interesting excuses do pop up though. Rather amusing. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

they obviously don't otherwise they would take the test, wouldn't they!

They do submit to successful testing with fair and qualified researchers.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

What a pile of Buffalo bagels. 

Facts are facts. Can you say the sky is coloured with yellow and green polka dots? No, you can go outside and see it. 

Same with the paranormal. It exists as anecdotes only. 

The amount of claims with zero evidence is evidence in itself that the paranormal is but a human fantasy.

Odd that we disagree, but I believe the paranormal is firmly established by controlled statistical experiments by fair and respected researchers.

“After a century of increasingly sophisticated investigations and more than a thousand controlled studies with combined odds against chance of 10 to the 104th power to 1, there is now strong evidence that psi phenomena exist. While this is an impressive statistic, all it means is that the outcomes of these experiments are definitely not due to coincidence. We’ve considered other common explanations like selective reporting and variations in experimental quality, and while those factors do moderate the overall results, there can be no little doubt that overall something interesting is going on. It seems increasingly likely that as physics continues to redefine our understanding of the fabric of reality, a theoretical outlook for a rational explanation for psi will eventually be established

Dr. Dean Radin Parapsychologist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Not the genuine ones.

Well if you cannot test them in any meaningful way then you cannot say for certain they are genuine or not. 

It has been my experience that people that have gone to these psychics mainly are fed ambiguous drivel that may or may not apply. Believers tend to ignore the 'wrong' parts and roll with the "right" things.

The thing is if there are "real" psychics then they are really letting the world down by hiding with their powers...just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Odd that we disagree, but I believe the paranormal is firmly established by controlled statistical experiments by fair and respected researchers.

“After a century of increasingly sophisticated investigations and more than a thousand controlled studies with combined odds against chance of 10 to the 104th power to 1, there is now strong evidence that psi phenomena exist. While this is an impressive statistic, all it means is that the outcomes of these experiments are definitely not due to coincidence. We’ve considered other common explanations like selective reporting and variations in experimental quality, and while those factors do moderate the overall results, there can be no little doubt that overall something interesting is going on. It seems increasingly likely that as physics continues to redefine our understanding of the fabric of reality, a theoretical outlook for a rational explanation for psi will eventually be established

Dr. Dean Radin Parapsychologist

It's not odd at all. You're not one to discuss paranormal subject's rationally with sound sources to support your arguments. I've seen many complaints from many posters in that regard.

And you've done it again.

Why would you post anything from a charlatan like Radin? Who is that supposed to impress? He's a darling of the "removed from reality crowd". He's not a universal reference in any conceivable way. Posting his quote only forms what I said and illustrates your disdain for the real world. You might as well have posted a Mickey mouse quote. 

What we do not have is evidence. We have speculation and excuses but nothing else. The two experiments I posted actually illustrate very confident people who just couldn't live up to their claims. That's what happens with every claim. It fails. With the number of claims, something should be provable, statistics demand such, but there is nothing. It just makes no sense that so many claims amount to zero evidence. The only conclusion that offers is that the paranormal is not real. It's a human construct. 

More like religion than science. Here's the answer, now go find the evidence to support it. Yet centuries of searching had produced nothing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

They do submit to successful testing with fair and qualified researchers.

No, you have done mental gymnastics to interpret findings as supportive. Not the case though. If it was, this thread wouldn't exist.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Why would you post anything from a charlatan like Radin?

Hmmm.....is everyone that disagrees with your positions a charlatan or incompetent fool. I've noticed a pattern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

Well if you cannot test them in any meaningful way then you cannot say for certain they are genuine or not. 

It has been my experience that people that have gone to these psychics mainly are fed ambiguous drivel that may or may not apply. Believers tend to ignore the 'wrong' parts and roll with the "right" things.

The thing is if there are "real" psychics then they are really letting the world down by hiding with their powers...just my opinion of course.

I can tell if people are genuine and so far I've never seen a so called psychic, a money taking one, that is. I don't believe anything unless I've exhausted all other avenues, even if I've seen it myself. I think the believers you talk of are kidding themselves and you will find most of these people have experienced nothing of the paranormal. As fred mc says the events can't be reproduced at will, this is because we have no control whatsoever with this and never will. This is why science will never find anything, it sounds like a cop out but it is what it is. I can see a bunch of money desperate people lining up to conjure something, this is the only prediction from me, lol.

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

No, you have done mental gymnastics to interpret findings as supportive. Not the case though. If it was, this thread wouldn't exist.

Excellent.  Now do critical race theory, climate doomsaying, and adolescent sexual reassignment.