Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rumors circulating that James Webb has discovered life on another world

DieChecker

https://futurism.com/the-byte/rumors-james-webb-life

Ars Technica reports that the persistent rumor that the James Webb Space Telescope has found a planet with strong signs of life has recently hit a new high among the scientific community. A lot of the hype may be overblown, but at the very least the speculation reflects the space telescope's extraordinary promise in the field of exobiology.

Wouldn't that be a paradigm changer? Religion for one. The idea of alien life, for another.

Looks like might have to wait awhile for an official paper of the conclusion of such data. If it even does exist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It's a Neptune type planet with a possible ocean and ice. 

Dunno. Maybe. Who knows. 

https://www.nasa.gov/universe/exoplanets/webb-discovers-methane-carbon-dioxide-in-atmosphere-of-k2-18-b/

While K2-18 b lies in the habitable zone, and is now known to harbor carbon-bearing molecules, this does not necessarily mean that the planet can support life. The planet’s large size — with a radius 2.6 times the radius of Earth — means that the planet’s interior likely contains a large mantle of high-pressure ice, like Neptune, but with a thinner hydrogen-rich atmosphere and an ocean surface. Hycean worlds are predicted to have oceans of water. However, it is also possible that the ocean is too hot to be habitable or be liquid.

“Although this kind of planet does not exist in our solar system, sub-Neptunes are the most common type of planet known so far in the galaxy,” explained team member Subhajit Sarkar of Cardiff University. “We have obtained the most detailed spectrum of a habitable-zone sub-Neptune to date, and this allowed us to work out the molecules that exist in its atmosphere.”

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 8

• The title was changed to Rumors circulating that James Webb has discovered life on another world
7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Wouldn't that be a paradigm changer? Religion for one. The idea of alien life, for another.

It shouldnt be that surprising. Microbial life is probably all over the place. It'll be a nice confirmation when it comes..one day

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks like might have to wait awhile for an official paper of the conclusion of such data. If it even does exist.

Religion would accommodate it. Alien life would be just another thing God forgot to tell us about, just as he forgot to tell us everything else that we have had to discover for ourselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Religion would accommodate it. Alien life would be just another thing God forgot to tell us about, just as he forgot to tell us everything else that we have had to discover for ourselves.

I agree with this, after all the more literal interpreters of religion are quite happy to ignore evolution, the big bang and the spherical earth so life on other planets would just be another demonic conspiracy to rally against.

The more liberal religious people won't have a problem with it any way.

Indisputable proof of extraterrestrial species more advanced than us, well that could have major religious repercussions. If we are not the most advanced life in the universe how can you maintain the argument that we are special and that a deity created everything just for us?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high just yet. From the original post:

Ars Technica reports that the persistent rumor that the James Webb Space Telescope has found a planet with strong signs of life has recently hit a new high among the scientific community

(My emphasis)

For context here is that Ars Technica report:

No, the James Webb Space Telescope hasn’t found life out there—at least not yet

There is a robust debate ongoing in the scientific community.

The rumors have been out there for a while now, percolating through respectable corners of the astronomy and astrobiological community, that the James Webb Space Telescope has found a planet with strong evidence of life.

Some of this sentiment recently bubbled into the public view when the British news magazine The Spectator published an item titled "Have we just discovered aliens?" In accordance with Betteridge's law of headlines, the answer to the question posed in this headline is no.

Read More: ➡️ Ars Technica

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I agree with this, after all the more literal interpreters of religion are quite happy to ignore evolution, the big bang and the spherical earth so life on other planets would just be another demonic conspiracy to rally against.

The more liberal religious people won't have a problem with it any way.

Indisputable proof of extraterrestrial species more advanced than us, well that could have major religious repercussions. If we are not the most advanced life in the universe how can you maintain the argument that we are special and that a deity created everything just for us?

Im pretty sure if you read the bible you will notice that it is a record of visitations and that it clearly states that the daughters of human men procreated with sons of god that came down and saw them and thought they were pretty. Bible fanatics might have issues because they are crazy but the ones who actually read it already know. 

Also i don't think it will change thier egocentrism, they will still believe we are the center of everything. I don't think most of them care about maintaining valid arguments, blind faith is kinda thier thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I gladly wait a few more years if it could give us proof.  Concerning religion; the Vatican isn't averse to alien life and doesn't really worry about a discovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Does the Bible state that there is no other life except on earth?  It doesn't even say there is only one God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Wouldn't that be a paradigm changer? Religion for one.

So... Are these aliens immune to original sin because they aren't related to Adam and Eve?

Did Jesus die for alien sins too? Or was that a job for alien Jesus? 🤔

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

So... Are these aliens immune to original sin because they aren't related to Adam and Eve?

You know, if it exists at all, that we are talking about bacteria don't you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I so wish I get to live to see this happen. Fingers-crossed and all, but everytime. Every. Time. So far when I got my hopes up it turned out to be someone hyping something not convincing if anything at all.

But... oh one more time doesn't hurt I guess?!

It's Hubble, but you get the gist

science.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I was watching some YT today, about the terrible things insect do to each other (planting eggs to eat other insects alive, snapping off limbs, eating each other alive, etc). Bacteria do worse, and viruses do even worse because they aren't even alive as we would recognise life. Woody Allen was right, the best you can say about God is that he was an underachiever.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

I gladly wait a few more years if it could give us proof.  Concerning religion; the Vatican isn't averse to alien life and doesn't really worry about a discovery.

It's very strange to me,they have an advanced telescope called Lucifer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superman73 said:

It's very strange to me,they have an advanced telescope called Lucifer?

Large Binocular Telescope Near-infrared Spectroscopic Utility with Camera and Integral Field Unit for Extragalactic Research

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Gertdoggy said:

Large Binocular Telescope Near-infrared Spectroscopic Utility with Camera and Integral Field Unit for Extragalactic Research

And? Why would they still choose Lucifer?

43 minutes ago, superman73 said:

And? Why would they still choose Lucifer?

The acronym. However, it was actually changed to Lucy in 2012. 

Science just doesn't really care about religious ideology. To science, Lucifer is just another name. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Science just doesn't really care about religious ideology. To science, Lucifer is just another name. 

The Catholic church and Science is an oxymoron but I get your point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Ha, I don't know. Haven't met too many Lucifers myself. Considering what we're talking about you'd have to be a real space cadet to pick that name and not consider the attention it would get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Ha, I don't know. Haven't met too many Lucifers myself. Considering what we're talking about you'd have to be a real space cadet to pick that name and not consider the attention it would get.

Modern day Lucifer has a cool image though. The club's, the Netflix series ( which by the way is very good) when you consider Lucifer as a traditional (greek) light bringer, Venus, it's rather appropriate. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

So did Jesus die for the sins of alien bacteria?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Modern day Lucifer has a cool image though. The club's, the Netflix series ( which by the way is very good) when you consider Lucifer as a traditional (greek) light bringer, Venus, it's rather appropriate. 

I was a fan of the show through the first Netflix season which was season 4 I think. Never got back to it after a couple of season 5 eps. No reason, just happens with me and TV since my kids arrived cause I can't watch half the stuff I like around them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

According to Ellen G. White the Tall Pure Aliens on Jupiter never sinned. Her Seventh-Day Adventists followers say they will make contact after all the souls of the sinners are destroyed. 

Of course mercury vapors from her father making hats in the house and a brick to the head would make you think that way...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

What would people from Jupiter be like? Was she giving a description? I only heard the story about Jupiter having a diamond core.

Never kept up if that is true...

23 minutes ago, MrsGently said:

What would people from Jupiter be like? Was she giving a description? I only heard the story about Jupiter having a diamond core.

Never kept up if that is true...

Simple extremophiles, probably bacterial in the upper atmosphere who can tolerate a lot of radiation........maybe.

But the human body structure isn't a convergent. It's strictly a product of our oversize moon and our environment and not happening on another planet....maybe.

• Like 1