Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rumors circulating that James Webb has discovered life on another world

DieChecker

4 hours ago, MrsGently said:

What would people from Jupiter be like? Was she giving a description? I only heard the story about Jupiter having a diamond core.

Never kept up if that is true...

They'd be flat as a pancake slowly inching around like gelatinous flattened snakes. Probably wouldn't call them people though.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, superman73 said:

The Catholic church and Science is an oxymoron but I get your point.

Not really an oxymoron, sm73.

Wiki - Pontifical Academy of Sciences

The Pontifical Academy of Sciences (Italian: Pontificia accademia delle scienze, Latin: Pontificia Academia Scientiarum) is a scientific academy of the Vatican City, established in 1936 by Pope Pius XI.[2] Its aim is to promote the progress of the mathematical, physical, and natural sciences and the study of related epistemological problems. The Accademia Pontificia dei Nuovi Lincei ("Pontifical Academy of the New Lynxes") was founded in 1847 as a more closely supervised successor to the Accademia dei Lincei ("Academy of Lynxes") established in Rome in 1603 by the learned Roman Prince, Federico Cesi (1585–1630), who was a young botanist and naturalist, and which claimed Galileo Galilei as its president. The Accademia dei Lincei survives as a wholly separate institution.[3]

IIRC, planetary surface gravity doesn't directly scale with planetary diameter. 

For example...

https://www.falmouth.k12.ma.us/Page/3642#:~:text=Neptune is about 17 times,weigh 115 pounds on Neptune.

Neptune is about 17 times as massive as the Earth.

Even though it is more massive than the Earth, its gravitational field is only about 1.15 times as strong.  A 100-pound person on Earth would weigh 115 pounds on Neptune.

Even if the gravity on this suspect world is twice Earth normal, we routinely see 500, and 600, pound people walking around the streets just fine. Running even.

A higher gravity would make things only a bit harder, but not even close to impossible.

15 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

IIRC, planetary surface gravity doesn't directly scale with planetary diameter. 

It is a combination of mass and diameter, i.e. density

16 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Even if the gravity on this suspect world is twice Earth normal, we routinely see 500, and 600, pound people walking around the streets just fine. Running even.

A higher gravity would make things only a bit harder, but not even close to impossible.

The issue on a Neptune like world is not so much the surface gravity as the atmospheric pressure. The surface gravity at the bottom of the ocean is not significantly higher than on the land, but a human like species is not going to be walking around down there. It's the pressure that will squish them not the gravity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2024 at 9:18 AM, Nicolette said:

Im pretty sure if you read the bible you will notice that it is a record of visitations and that it clearly states that the daughters of human men procreated with sons of god that came down and saw them and thought they were pretty. Bible fanatics might have issues because they are crazy but the ones who actually read it already know. 

Also i don't think it will change thier egocentrism, they will still believe we are the center of everything. I don't think most of them care about maintaining valid arguments, blind faith is kinda thier thing.

The problem with that of course is that, you cannot logically use a manuscript full of errors to justify anything relevant about something totally disassociated with said manuscript.  In other words...you cannot use the Bible to prove Science correct...because they are 180°  out of phase.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2024 at 11:06 PM, superman73 said:

The Catholic church and Science is an oxymoron but I get your point.

I missed this.

They are pretty pro-science except for the radicals, especially in the U.S.

Google "St. Abertus Magnus" and "Jesuit scientists".

Old Albert was saying demonology was superstitious garbage in the 1200s. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 1:47 AM, Piney said:

According to Ellen G. White the Tall Pure Aliens on Jupiter never sinned. Her Seventh-Day Adventists followers say they will make contact after all the souls of the sinners are destroyed. 

Of course mercury vapors from her father making hats in the house and a brick to the head would make you think that way...

Was her father Sam the Toucan?image.jpeg.3168a883a8b21d5402037ccc11eeebfc.jpegIf you know what I'm sayin'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Was her father Sam the Toucan?image.jpeg.3168a883a8b21d5402037ccc11eeebfc.jpegIf you know what I'm sayin'

Your a theological historian and never read 'The Great Controversy'? 

My Swarthmore tutor made me read EVERYBODY!!!!!

On 1/19/2024 at 3:18 PM, joc said:

The problem with that of course is that, you cannot logically use a manuscript full of errors to justify anything relevant about something totally disassociated with said manuscript.  In other words...you cannot use the Bible to prove Science correct...because they are 180°  out of phase.

I never said it was proof, but generally when there are stories of the unexplained or rare occurrences that people felt were important enough to retell and memorialize around the world for thousands of years it is because they thought it was worth talking about. If taken literally many are encounters and the focus seems to be visitors from above. Not all stories are true, but it always worth paying attention to matching details and taking everything into account when putting together puzzles.

They are not opposites at all though when you keep in mind that people were trying to retell things that they didnt understand, and science can define and explain these things. Im not a huge fan of christianity but i do know that the bible is a historical document and that a lot of events and places in it have already been verified and located scientifically. That makes the histories in it worth knowing about, aside from stories like genesis and the flood which are the oldest human histories still retold around the world. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:41 AM, OverSword said:

Does the Bible state that there is no other life except on earth?  It doesn't even say there is only one God.

Thats what I was trying to say but i get distracted... taken literally it seems like it is all about visitors from the sky and thier interactions with people. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It is a combination of mass and diameter, i.e. density

The issue on a Neptune like world is not so much the surface gravity as the atmospheric pressure. The surface gravity at the bottom of the ocean is not significantly higher than on the land, but a human like species is not going to be walking around down there. It's the pressure that will squish them not the gravity.

I think they said an ice crust on the ocean. So like europa? Judging from the red residue churning out onto the ice i bet there is life in europa too. Anyways you can walk on ice.... just saying. Not that they necessarily need to be humanlike. Aquatic life is also life and it exists under high pressure. We might struggle to accomodate the pressure but thats definitely not an impossibility for something as resiliant as life. 

Edited by Nicolette
  • Like 1

Or.... the items described in the Bible (like many old and ancient texts) were simply literary mechanisms to help build the story they wished to tell. Not some Hancockian notion of everything is a historical recounting of actual events.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nicolette said:

I think they said an ice crust on the ocean.

I seem to start most of my replies to you with, "what are you talking about?" and then, at some stage in the reply make the suggesting that you should actually read the comments you are replying to so as not to make yourself look silly.

Unfortunately this is no exception so...

What are you talking about? Maybe you should read the posts you are commenting on so as not to make yourself look silly.

My reply was to @DieChecker who was also talking about a Neptune like world. The only person that mentioned an ocean was @psyche101 who posted the following:

On 1/17/2024 at 7:35 AM, psyche101 said:

While K2-18 b lies in the habitable zone, and is now known to harbor carbon-bearing molecules, this does not necessarily mean that the planet can support life. The planet’s large size — with a radius 2.6 times the radius of Earth — means that the planet’s interior likely contains a large mantle of high-pressure ice, like Neptune, but with a thinner hydrogen-rich atmosphere and an ocean surface. Hycean worlds are predicted to have oceans of water. However, it is also possible that the ocean is too hot to be habitable or be liquid.

(my emphasis)

So these worlds are totally unlike Europa and the ice crust is purely your invention. Since the rest of your post is based on your purely fictional interpretation of facts it can be dismissed out of hand and does not warrant commenting on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1