Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tata Steel to shut down Port Talbot blast furnaces

pellinore

The owners of Port Talbot steelworks have rejected a trade union plan designed to keep its blast furnaces running, putting nearly 3,000 jobs at risk and leaving the UK on course to become the only major economy unable to make steel from scratch.

In what one union said would be a “crushing blow” to workers and UK steelmaking, Port Talbot’s parent company, the Indian-owned Tata Steel, told workers’ representatives that it could no longer afford to continue production at the loss-making plant in south Wales while it completed a four-year transition plan to greener production. Tata Steel to shut down Port Talbot blast furnaces, putting 3,000 jobs at risk | Tata | The Guardian

This was predicted years ago as an inevitable consequence of Brexit- the end of UK heavy manufacturing industries. Patrick Minford, the Brexit economist, also predicted and applauded the end of car manufacture. This hasn't come to pass- yet. This is an interesting New Yorker article:

It hasn’t been easy to manufacture steel in the U.K. for a number of years. The country’s high energy costs and property taxes make it an inhospitable place for heavy industry, even compared with other European countries. But it was Brexit—specifically, the unresolved, purgatorial, shapeless Brexit that Britain finds itself in, three years after deciding to leave the European Union—that carried British Steel over the edge. 

The Death of British Steel and the Myth of the Good Brexit | The New Yorker (archive.org)

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1

Interesting.  One sees articles on ancient lost civilizations with amazing advanced technology.  Somehow they lose it and vanish into the dust of history. I always thought that was unlikely, but now I wonder.  How many vital things will countries forget to make themselves because they cost too much?

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

The owners of Port Talbot steelworks have rejected a trade union plan designed to keep its blast furnaces running, putting nearly 3,000 jobs at risk and leaving the UK on course to become the only major economy unable to make steel from scratch.

"Tata Steel to close Port Talbot blast furnaces in UK; 3,000 jobs at stake"

Quote: "The company plans to shift to an electric-arc furnace-only site in a bid to reduce its carbon emissions and achieve net-zero targets."

Net-zero. The gift that keeps on giving.!! 🤔

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/tata-steel-to-close-port-talbot-blast-furnaces-in-wales-uk-3-000-job-loss-expected-report-11705591689767.html

Edited by Destination Unknown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Destination Unknown said:

"Tata Steel to close Port Talbot blast furnaces in UK; 3,000 jobs at stake"

Quote: "The company plans to shift to an electric-arc furnace-only site in a bid to reduce its carbon emissions and achieve net-zero targets."

Net-zero. The gift that keeps on giving.!! 🤔

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/tata-steel-to-close-port-talbot-blast-furnaces-in-wales-uk-3-000-job-loss-expected-report-11705591689767.html

The end of steel production in the UK was accepted as an inevitable side-effect of Brexit and consequently the government has made no effort to invest in it. Prof Minford was the go-to economist of teh Brexiters, along with Julian Jessop (and Liz Truss recently referenced Minford in one of her speeches. Needless to say, both economists have little support outside the Brexit world.

Bottom of p2 of this PDF:

Indeed, Minford describes in his model that an implication of the ‘Britain Alone’ policy (Minford et al, 2016, p. 74 Table 4.3) is that it will ‘effectively eliminate manufacturing’ in the UK. Another implication of his preferred policy is a dramatic increase in wage inequality: skilled workers’ nominal wages increase by around 11%, but unskilled workers’ wages fall by 14%.1 These changes are unlikely to be an easy sell politically, to say the least

brexit06.pdf (lse.ac.uk)

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1

Just now, pellinore said:

The end of steel production in the UK was accepted as an inevitable side-effect of Brexit and consequently the government has made no effort to invest in it:

brexit06.pdf (lse.ac.uk)

You just could not help linking it to Brexit could you?

I knew damn well your intention was to deliberately try and link the Tata Steel story to Brexit as soon as I saw your original post (because, let's face it, that's your modus operandi, posting something negative and deliberately twisting it around to try and make it fit your anti-Brexit agenda) which is why I pre-emptively posted my response, proving that it's got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit, because this would have happened anyway, even if we were still in your beloved EU. 🤦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

EU steel production is looking very, very healthy, employing over 300,000 people, and investing in the new technology to achieve Net Zero:

The European steel industry is a world leader in innovation and environmental sustainability. It has a turnover of around €130 billion and directly employs about 306,000 highly-skilled people in the EU, producing on average 152 million tonnes of steel per year. More than 500 steel production sites across 22 EU Member States provide direct and indirect employment to millions more European citizens. Closely integrated with Europe’s manufacturing and construction industries, steel is the backbone for development, growth and employment in Europe. Steel is the most versatile industrial material in the world. The thousands of different grades and types of steel developed by the industry make the modern world possible. Steel is 100% recyclable and therefore is a fundamental part of the circular economy. 

FINAL_EUROFER_Steel-in-Figures_2023.pdf

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1

Don't sweat it, @Destination Unknown , you knew what you were voting for- a smaller economy, decreased investment and production, and increased immigration.

Edited by pellinore
  • Confused 1

EU steel production is looking very, very healthy, employing over 300,000 people, and investing in the new technology to achieve Net Zero:

The European steel industry is a world leader in innovation and environmental sustainability. It has a turnover of around €130 billion and directly employs about 306,000 highly-skilled people in the EU, producing on average 152 million tonnes of steel per year. More than 500 steel production sites across 22 EU Member States provide direct and indirect employment to millions more European citizens. Closely integrated with Europe’s manufacturing and construction industries, steel is the backbone for development, growth and employment in Europe. Steel is the most versatile industrial material in the world. The thousands of different grades and types of steel developed by the industry make the modern world possible. Steel is 100% recyclable and therefore is a fundamental part of the circular economy. 

FINAL_EUROFER_Steel-in-Figures_2023.pdf

You're just not listening at all are you pellinore?

Are you really that indoctrinated and closed-minded that you cannot see the wood for the trees?

Again pellinore, how would being in your beloved EU have prevented Tata Steel from closing down their blast furnaces in order to achieve net-zero targets?

It wouldn't have done would it pellinore, because this would have happened anyway, even if we were still in your beloved EU.

Don't sweat it, @Destination Unknown , you knew what you were voting for- a smaller economy, decreased investment and production, and increased immigration.

No pellinore, I have never claimed to know what I was voting "for" when I voted to Leave the EU, because when I voted to Leave the EU, I was actually voting "against" the EU, and any possible chance of my country being dragged further and further into your beloved EU's wannabe federal European Superstate wet dream. See link below: "EU should be ‘single megastate’, says former Italian Prime Minister and former President of the European Central Bank (Super) Mario Draghi" 👇👇👇👇

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/12/01/mario-draghi-european-union-single-megastate-italy/

(Note: The above link is from the Telegraph, you know, the exact same Telegraph that you yourself claimed elsewhere on here was the gospel of truth, and should be taken as such - Article: Brexit fallout finally dawns on London’s stock market (Telegraph) https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/373804-brexit-fallout-finally-dawns-on-london’s-stock-market-telegraph/

Oh, and the 'London School of Economics' (LSE) is a member of the 'European University Association', whose aim, amongst other things, is to champion the policies of the European Union (indoctrination), and that's because it is funded by the EU to spew out their pro-EU propaganda (re-education), so it's hardly going to be impartial is it, so I'll take anything they've released with a grain of salt the size of the Dead Sea. 🤦

This is exactly what I'm talking about pellinore. You're only telling one side of the story, and that's because you are only listening one side of the story, the negative side. It's all anti Brexit propaganda. It's a campaign to mislead the people.

These groups are lying through their teeth to get the UK to rejoin, and it's ironic that you are falling for it, whilst at the same time telling Leave voters they fell for Leave campaign lies. 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://eua.eu/about/who-we-are.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:23 AM, Destination Unknown said:

You're just not listening at all are you pellinore?

Are you really that indoctrinated and closed-minded that you cannot see the wood for the trees?

Again pellinore, how would being in your beloved EU have prevented Tata Steel from closing down their blast furnaces in order to achieve net-zero targets?

It wouldn't have done would it pellinore, because this would have happened anyway, even if we were still in your beloved EU.

No pellinore, I have never claimed to know what I was voting "for" when I voted to Leave the EU, because when I voted to Leave the EU, I was actually voting "against" the EU, and any possible chance of my country being dragged further and further into your beloved EU's wannabe federal European Superstate wet dream. See link below: "EU should be ‘single megastate’, says former Italian Prime Minister and former President of the European Central Bank (Super) Mario Draghi" 👇👇👇👇

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/12/01/mario-draghi-european-union-single-megastate-italy/

(Note: The above link is from the Telegraph, you know, the exact same Telegraph that you yourself claimed elsewhere on here was the gospel of truth, and should be taken as such - Article: Brexit fallout finally dawns on London’s stock market (Telegraph) https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/373804-brexit-fallout-finally-dawns-on-london’s-stock-market-telegraph/

Oh, and the 'London School of Economics' (LSE) is a member of the 'European University Association', whose aim, amongst other things, is to champion the policies of the European Union (indoctrination), and that's because it is funded by the EU to spew out their pro-EU propaganda (re-education), so it's hardly going to be impartial is it, so I'll take anything they've released with a grain of salt the size of the Dead Sea. 🤦

This is exactly what I'm talking about pellinore. You're only telling one side of the story, and that's because you are only listening one side of the story, the negative side. It's all anti Brexit propaganda. It's a campaign to mislead the people.

These groups are lying through their teeth to get the UK to rejoin, and it's ironic that you are falling for it, whilst at the same time telling Leave voters they fell for Leave campaign lies. 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://eua.eu/about/who-we-are.html

Surprise, surprise, India (which Sunak has ties to) will be the beneficiary of British Steel disappearing:

On 1/19/2024 at 6:36 AM, pellinore said:

In what one union said would be a “crushing blow” to workers and UK steelmaking, Port Talbot’s parent company, the Indian-owned Tata Steel, told workers’ representatives that it could no longer afford to continue production at the loss-making plant in south Wales while it completed a four-year transition plan to greener production. Tata Steel to shut down Port Talbot blast furnaces, putting 3,000 jobs at risk | Tata | The Guardian

This was predicted years ago as an inevitable consequence of Brexit- the end of UK heavy manufacturing industries. Patrick Minford, the Brexit economist, also predicted and applauded the end of car manufacture. This hasn't come to pass- yet. This is an interesting New Yorker article:

It hasn’t been easy to manufacture steel in the U.K. for a number of years. The country’s high energy costs and property taxes make it an inhospitable place for heavy industry, even compared with other European countries. But it was Brexit—specifically, the unresolved, purgatorial, shapeless Brexit that Britain finds itself in, three years after deciding to leave the European Union—that carried British Steel over the edge. 

The Death of British Steel and the Myth of the Good Brexit | The New Yorker (archive.org)

Your latest post literally has me laughing.

When we were in the EU the rules we were bound by prevented our government from bailing out Tata Steel after China which had been overproducing steel dumped its surplus onto the global market. Hence, Tata Steel had to be sold to outside investors to save it. Tata Steel produces higher quality steel than China, who produces vast amounts of moderate quality.

Now Brexit has happened the government can step in to save it, but will evaluate first if its a good deal for the country. Without a trade barrier to protect our steel industry we will be back here again, and again, over the coming decades each time China dumps its surplus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pellinore said:

Surprise, surprise, India (which Sunak has ties to) will be the beneficiary of British Steel disappearing:

Surprise, surprise, India would have been the beneficiary of British Steel disappearing anyway even if Brexit hadn't even happened, because had we stayed in, your beloved EU would have blocked British Government bailouts to Tata Steel because it would have broken EU State Aid rules, but let me guess, you didn't have a problem with that did you pellinore. 🤔

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/20/eu-cracks-down-subsidies-struggling-steelworks-belgium

Guess what pellinore, when Tata Steel Netherlands also disappears, India will again be the beneficiary, so will that also be down to Rishi Sunak's ties to India as well? 🤦

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/tata-steel-to-scrap-800-jobs-in-the-netherlands-11699883908952.html

Oh, and I didn't even bother watching that video you posted from that sneering left-wing clown "Phil who likes talking about politics" either, (that clown is so far left he makes Corbyn look like a far-right extremist).

I've debunked what that clown Phil who likes talking about politics has to say in debates with him a number of times on his YouTube channel, so much so that in the end he blocked me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My friends, I don't know the ins and outs of Brexit.

Here are some things I think I know though.  If a nation  loses the ability to manufacture strategic commodities then they rely on others for necessary defense materials.  If a nation cannot afford to make consumer materials and maintain a presence in latest technology they will become a colony of more developed nations.  A strategy  rule in many games and simulations is divide and conquer.   Are India and China independently using that strategy to push their way to the top of the global game?

One comment I read by Tata management is that they are closing down this plant and modernizing others.  They don't need to do it in Britain.

A colony or less advanced nation uses manpower to manufacture necessary items and cannot compete with high tech nations.  I high tech nation uses technology to reduce cost of production.

Is it time for the GB government to start pushing high tech modernization?  Surely steel can be made better than it was 50-70 years ago when some plants were built.  Can GB  be competitive if they embrace more modern manufacturing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just as a side note, both the Rupee and the Yuan have gained against the ruble in the last couple of years.   They are eating holes in Russia.  Take that as a lesson to what happens to a weak nation with outdated technology.

3 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

Your latest post literally has me laughing.

When we were in the EU the rules we were bound by prevented our government from bailing out Tata Steel after China which had been overproducing steel dumped its surplus onto the global market. Hence, Tata Steel had to be sold to outside investors to save it. Tata Steel produces higher quality steel than China, who produces vast amounts of moderate quality.

Now Brexit has happened the government can step in to save it, but will evaluate first if its a good deal for the country. Without a trade barrier to protect our steel industry we will be back here again, and again, over the coming decades each time China dumps its surplus.

2 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

Surprise, surprise, India would have been the beneficiary of British Steel disappearing anyway even if Brexit hadn't even happened, because had we stayed in, your beloved EU would have blocked British Government bailouts to Tata Steel because it would have broken EU State Aid rules, but let me guess, you didn't have a problem with that did you pellinore. 🤔

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/20/eu-cracks-down-subsidies-struggling-steelworks-belgium

Guess what pellinore, when Tata Steel Netherlands also disappears, India will again be the beneficiary, so will that also be down to Rishi Sunak's ties to India as well? 🤦

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/tata-steel-to-scrap-800-jobs-in-the-netherlands-11699883908952.html

Oh, and I didn't even bother watching that video you posted from that sneering left-wing clown "Phil who likes talking about politics" either, (that clown is so far left he makes Corbyn look like a far-right extremist).

I've debunked what that clown Phil who likes talking about politics has to say in debates with him a number of times on his YouTube channel, so much so that in the end he blocked me.

It is crystal clear why the UK stell industry is closing and the EU industry is growing. Crystal clear:

• Haha 1

Not only is common sense that if you turn your back on the world's largest economy you will take an economic hit, but when you also allow your own economy to be deregulated then there will be no safety net for you. Whether it is all worthwhile just to be governed by the British clowns in the present government is an individual choice. This worker is seeing sense, but too late for him:

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Is it time for the GB government to start pushing high tech modernization?  Surely steel can be made better than it was 50-70 years ago when some plants were built.  Can GB  be competitive if they embrace more modern manufacturing?

Where will we get the money or workers, skilled, unskilled and highly qualified? Where will we get the investment? We left the world's largest economic bloc so that our millionaire and billionaire citizens could evade EU financial scrutiny.  

To do something as harmful as that to the country, we needed really stupid politicians- and we have them-  Dominic Raab, who didn't realise Dover- Calais was an important shipping route, Chris Grayling who gave a £100M contract to a shipping firm with no ships, Nadine Dories (culture and media minister) who wanted to defund C4 TV because it has been rude about the Tories without realising it was a private company, Therese Coffey not knowing the name of the capital of Rwanda, the list is endless.

Economist Prof Patrick Minford, who favours Brexit, said Brexit can be a success, but we will have to sacrifice workers' rights and our manufacturing, agriculture and industry. We will buy cheap stuff from abroad, and our unskilled workers and blue-collar workers will be paid less, and we will have to privatize our public services.

So, Brexit is going to plan, but the public are starting to realise that it is not the plan they want. And it is certainly not the plan they were told they would get.

• Like 2

It is crystal clear why the UK stell industry is closing and the EU industry is growing. Crystal clear:

Oh really? So why are Europe’s major trade union organisations alarmed by your beloved EU's industrial collapse then? 🤔

Quote: "Europe’s major trade union organisations have expressed deep concern about the scale of the EU’s industrial decline, as structurally high energy prices continue to lay waste to a crucial pillar of the bloc’s economy." 👇👇👇👇

https://www.eurasiareview.com/17012024-very-worrying-trade-unions-alarmed-by-eus-industrial-collapse/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Where will we get the money or workers, skilled, unskilled and highly qualified? Where will we get the investment?

To paraphrase the dinosaurs,  "This looks a lot like a dead end."

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

Where will we get the money or workers, skilled, unskilled and highly qualified?

Well you'll be pleased to know that the UK is actually even more attractive to workers after the UK's democratically mandated exit from the European Union, because according to a report by the 'Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development' (OECD), the UK has shot up an international ranking of countries that are most attractive to highly qualified workers, owing to changes to the migration regime introduced after Brexit.

The OECD reported in March 2023 that the UK had risen up its "talent attractiveness" list faster than any other country since 2019, numbering in the Top 10, but of course we all know that's obviously not what you want to hear is it pellinore. 🤔

Quote: "The international organization said the UK made the biggest improvement in "talent attractiveness" in 2023, moving up nine places to 7th since 2019, and climbing above the US and Canada for the first time." 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://biz.crast.net/brexit-freedoms-make-britain-a-magnet-for-highly-skilled-migrants-oecd-says/

Meanwhile, from the same OECD report: "Germany slumps to 15th place in OECD study on attracting skilled labour" - ooops. 🤦👇👇👇👇

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-slumps-15th-place-oecd-study-attracting-skilled-labour-2023-03-09/

We left the world's largest economic bloc

No we didn't. The EU isn't the largest economic bloc in the world, the 'Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership' (RCEP) is.

🤦👇👇👇👇

https://www.rand.org/blog/2020/12/rcep-forms-the-worlds-largest-trading-bloc-what-does.html

Also, the EU isn't "just" an economic bloc either is it, because if it was then nobody would even have a problem with it. What other economic bloc on the planet even needs its own President (or five), its own (fake) Parliament, its own Supreme Court, with jurisdiction over all member "States" Courts, its own Flag, its own Anthem, its own Currency, Open Borders/Outer Borders, and now, seemingly, its own Armed Forces just so its members can trade with each other?

The EU is now more interested in becoming a federal European Superstate than it is about being an economic bloc. See link below: "EU should be ‘single megastate’, says former Italian Prime Minister and former President of the European Central Bank (Super) Mario Draghi👇👇👇👇

(Note: The above link is from the Telegraph, you know, the exact same Telegraph that you yourself claimed elsewhere on here was the gospel of truth, and should be taken as such - Article: Brexit fallout finally dawns on London’s stock market (Telegraph
) 

so that our millionaire and billionaire citizens could evade EU financial scrutiny.

Was Brexit About Tax Avoidance? No. 👇👇👇👇

https://www.politax.com/post/was-brexit-about-tax-avoidance

Was Brexit About Tax Avoidance? No.

👇👇👇👇

https://fullfact.org/online/brexit-not-concealing-offshore-accounts/

👇👇👇👇

https://www.bbc.com/news/50168357

To do something as harmful as that to the country, we needed really stupid politicians- and we have them

Yes, we do. Ironically, the Welsh Government's 'Minister for Economy', Vaughan Gething, confirmed the Welsh Government's steadfast commitment to Net Zero targets when he announced the creation of 'Net Zero Industry Wales' during a visit to TATA Steel in Port Talbot in March 2022. Ooops. 🤦

The real truth is, you can have "Net Zero", or you can have domestic heavy industry and jobs, but you can't have both.

Net Zero. The gift that keeps on giving.!! 👇👇👇👇

https://www.gov.wales/net-zero-industry-wales-established-support-decarbonisation-welsh-industry

• Thanks 1

A fully open and liberalised market with only essential regulations leads to the highest levels of prosperity.

That economic model has been implemented by the UK for centuries, copied by the US, copied by Europe (although the EU has undone a lot of the good work), and has spread to China and the far-east. It is the most successful model of running an economy in history.

We do not want excess regulation @pellinore and we do not benefit from having regulations implemented on us not designed to suit our specific needs but the EU block as a whole. All EU economies underperform because in considering the needs of the block as a whole no specific member state gets exactly the policies that it needs.

The EU was setup to cause industry to drift towards Germany overtime. One mechanism used for this is the prevention of member states from investing directly into their own economies, apart from the original 6 member states (which includes Germany). Furthermore as the largest economy in the EU, its the one that ultimately ends up bailing out smaller countries, and in return for bailing them out ties them to it. As Margaret Thatcher stated (like or loath her) her assessment that the EU is designing to enable a Germany hegemony to arise is correct. Let us not forgot that if a country like Greece defaults Germany under international law can then invade.

Its called `you default on the loan and we`ll send the bailiffs around`.

The Tata Steel crises began in the EU (not during Brexit) and the UK was banned from bailing it out. All problems stem from that. We need to buy it off the new Indian owners and from that point forward stop all asset stripping of UK assets.

1 hour ago, Electric Scooter said:

A fully open and liberalised market with only essential regulations leads to the highest levels of prosperity.

For somebody.  If you can 't offer competitive value  though, you are toast. True enough, many aspects of modern capitalism began in Britain.  You led the world in both implementation and philosophy.  We appreciate it.  But that was 200 years ago, what have you done lately?  Have you kept your game or retired on your laurels?  Nobody gets replaced faster than a champion past their prime.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

For somebody.  If you can 't offer competitive value  though, you are toast. True enough, many aspects of modern capitalism began in Britain.  You led the world in both implementation and philosophy.  We appreciate it.  But that was 200 years ago, what have you done lately?  Have you kept your game or retired on your laurels?  Nobody gets replaced faster than a champion past their prime.

Yes, if you can offer a comparative advantage.

And if you cannot you go bust, you going bust exerts some downward pressure on inflation and wages, and that attracts investment to take advantage of the lower inflation and wages. All liberalised countries work off the same model, it makes sure the countries have competitive economies, and the consumer gets the best deal.

Britain these days exerts not raw military power as its influence but it owns a vast chunk of the worlds financial and banking sectors. We also offshored everything when we dissolved our military empire so no one knows how much financial power we retain. It was estimated over $100 trillion was offshored in todays value. 

1 hour ago, Electric Scooter said:

Yes, if you can offer a comparative advantage.

And if you cannot you go bust, you going bust exerts some downward pressure on inflation and wages, and that attracts investment to take advantage of the lower inflation and wages. All liberalised countries work off the same model, it makes sure the countries have competitive economies, and the consumer gets the best deal.

Britain these days exerts not raw military power as its influence but it owns a vast chunk of the worlds financial and banking sectors. We also offshored everything when we dissolved our military empire so no one knows how much financial power we retain. It was estimated over $100 trillion was offshored in todays value. 

That is encouraging.  How can you harness all of those offshore trillions to help the citizens of Britain? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

That is encouraging.  How can you harness all of those offshore trillions to help the citizens of Britain? 

The present government isn't interested in investing in Britain. Even our actual Minister for Brexit Opportunities (a post which lasted less than a year), Rees Mogg, moved his investment company (Somerset Holdings) to the EU straight after Brexit and banks in the Cayman Islands. Sir John Redwood, financial advisor, advises his clients to move their money to the EU and along with Nigel Farage constantly agitates to sell off the NHS to the US.

Rees Mogg blithely says we don't need to produce stuff as we can buy it cheaper from abroad.

Our PM's wife has non-dom status, so she pays a nominal flat rate of £40,000 per year tax on her billions in assets.

They conned the likes of the steel workers, farmers and fishermen into believing their incomes would be safe once we left the EU. Unlike @Destination Unknown, most ordinarily workers believed they would be better off after Brexit, not worse off, and unlike him they were not motivated by a political desire to be free of Europe, they just wanted a better life for themselves and their families.

Instead, the fishermen (apart from a small percentage) lost fishing grounds and their market, the farmers lost seasonal labour and CAP, and ordinary workers lost out as their firms moved to the EU. A few workers have had wage increases due to labour shortages, but that is offset by the losses. 

The latest study using a doppelganger model (comparing the actual UK's economy with one where we stayed in the EU) shows the contraction has increased from -4% to -6.5%. And from the end of this month we will be forced by WTO rules to impose import controls.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

Well you'll be pleased to know that the UK is actually even more attractive to workers after the UK's democratically mandated exit from the European Union, because according to a report by the 'Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development' (OECD), the UK has shot up an international ranking of countries that are most attractive to highly qualified workers, owing to changes to the migration regime introduced after Brexit.

The OECD reported in March 2023 that the UK had risen up its "talent attractiveness" list faster than any other country since 2019, numbering in the Top 10, but of course we all know that's obviously not what you want to hear is it pellinore. 🤔

Quote: "The international organization said the UK made the biggest improvement in "talent attractiveness" in 2023, moving up nine places to 7th since 2019, and climbing above the US and Canada for the first time." 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://biz.crast.net/brexit-freedoms-make-britain-a-magnet-for-highly-skilled-migrants-oecd-says/

Meanwhile, from the same OECD report: "Germany slumps to 15th place in OECD study on attracting skilled labour" - ooops. 🤦👇👇👇👇

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-slumps-15th-place-oecd-study-attracting-skilled-labour-2023-03-09/

No we didn't. The EU isn't the largest economic bloc in the world, the 'Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership' (RCEP) is.

🤦👇👇👇👇

https://www.rand.org/blog/2020/12/rcep-forms-the-worlds-largest-trading-bloc-what-does.html

Also, the EU isn't "just" an economic bloc either is it, because if it was then nobody would even have a problem with it. What other economic bloc on the planet even needs its own President (or five), its own (fake) Parliament, its own Supreme Court, with jurisdiction over all member "States" Courts, its own Flag, its own Anthem, its own Currency, Open Borders/Outer Borders, and now, seemingly, its own Armed Forces just so its members can trade with each other?

The EU is now more interested in becoming a federal European Superstate than it is about being an economic bloc. See link below: "EU should be ‘single megastate’, says former Italian Prime Minister and former President of the European Central Bank (Super) Mario Draghi👇👇👇👇

(Note: The above link is from the Telegraph, you know, the exact same Telegraph that you yourself claimed elsewhere on here was the gospel of truth, and should be taken as such - Article: Brexit fallout finally dawns on London’s stock market (Telegraph
) 

Was Brexit About Tax Avoidance? No. 👇👇👇👇

https://www.politax.com/post/was-brexit-about-tax-avoidance

👇👇👇👇

https://fullfact.org/online/brexit-not-concealing-offshore-accounts/

👇👇👇👇

https://www.bbc.com/news/50168357

Yes, we do. Ironically, the Welsh Government's 'Minister for Economy', Vaughan Gething, confirmed the Welsh Government's steadfast commitment to Net Zero targets when he announced the creation of 'Net Zero Industry Wales' during a visit to TATA Steel in Port Talbot in March 2022. Ooops. 🤦

The real truth is, you can have "Net Zero", or you can have domestic heavy industry and jobs, but you can't have both.

Net Zero. The gift that keeps on giving.!! 👇👇👇👇

https://www.gov.wales/net-zero-industry-wales-established-support-decarbonisation-welsh-industry

I know the idea that the prime motivator was tax evasion has been debunked, but it was the motivation for some people, and it is a fact that the very wealthy and disaster capitalists have been the only people to benefit.

• Like 1