Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Call for UK to introduce conscription

pellinore

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

Would you join up? It's always the oldies waving the flags from their windows that welcome war. Rudyard Kipling wrote after the death of his only son in WW1:

"If any question why we died, tell them: because our fathers lied".

Of course I wouldn't join up! They wouldn't accept me anyway, I'm too old and with poor health.

I am puzzled by your comment about 'oldies waving flags from their windows that welcome war'.  Where did you get that idea from? In which countries were these oldies? And isn't it more that the politicians lied?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Of course I wouldn't join up! They wouldn't accept me anyway, I'm too old and with poor health.

I am puzzled by your comment about 'oldies waving flags from their windows that welcome war'.  Where did you get that idea from? In which countries were these oldies? And isn't it more that the politicians lied?

By oldies he means those people who in their youth lived in a country that was actually Britain.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

Thanks.  I am still weighing the pros and cons.  I lived in Northern Ireland during the Troubles and my family very frequently visited Israel during several conflicts.  I know it is strange, but I sometimes get the urge to be in places that are usually deemed unsafe.  Could be an impulse since childhood.  I used to play in dangerous places e.g.  the middle of a construction site, an abandoned old building with drunks inside.  As I grew older I would climb dangerous hill sides using the most dangerous route to climb up, and nowadays I casually walk through streets that are reportedly unsafe at night.

At work a colleague told me he knows a group of guys who call themselves risk seekers and they go on adventure holidays to the most dangerous places on Earth.  I guess some people get a thrill to roll the dice and play the odds.  Daft I know, but the impulse to join a package tour of Moscow in 2024 has been in my to do list for many years.  The alternative is to visit Egypt.

Eventually your luck might just run out …..be careful and maybe rethink why you want to visit Russia in particular…

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Your post

' Call for UK to introduce conscription '

:lol: Good Luck with that!

seemed to indicate we would be 'lucky' to get the youngsters to join up (because it is always the youngsters), whereas your generation wouldn't have a problem being patriotic.

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

Your post

' Call for UK to introduce conscription '

:lol: Good Luck with that!

seemed to indicate we would be 'lucky' to get the youngsters to join up (because it is always the youngsters), whereas your generation wouldn't have a problem being patriotic.

I love my country but I hate and despise those who run it and the mess they have made. People were patriotic in the past, patriotic enough to go to war, because they didn't understand what was truly happening. They didn't understand how they were manipulated by their leaders.

When I said 'Good Luck' with that!' I wasn't belittling the youngsters who would refuse to sign up or dodge conscription. I think that is a good response.

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I love my country but I hate and despise those who run it and the mess they have made. People were patriotic in the past, patriotic enough to go to war, because they didn't understand what was truly happening. They didn't understand how they were manipulated by their leaders.

When I said 'Good Luck' with that!' I wasn't belittling the youngsters who would refuse to sign up or dodge conscription. I think that is a good response.

People fought for their hive in the past.

We had a sense of togetherness and comradeship. Thats all gone, they`ve sold us out over 80 years. We are all just numbers, making money was put first, even to the point they flooded us with immigrants. They also took the easiest route possible (the EU) rather than keeping us strong and building us up further.

I`m not fighting for what we currently have, it has ceased to be my country.

Edited by Electric Scooter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I get it! I am of the same opinion- previous generations had something to fight for, youngsters today faced cuts to public services, they have lost their right to work, learn and live in their own continent freely, and the new points-based immigrations system means that temporary and seasonal European workers have been replaced by huge numbers of permanent immigrants from all over the Commonwealth, and the consequent pressure for housing means that home ownership is even further out of their reach.

Btw, re the Kipling couplet: many think he was referring to himself (he lied to the War Office that his only son, John, was in good health so he would be accepted into the Irish Guards- John had poor eyesight. He was killed in the Battle of Loos in 1915).

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 2

I think the trouble in convincing the young to go out and kill for their flag or die for another nation's flag is that in the 21st century the idea of flags, borders, traditions, and keeping everyone divided and ignorant of each other and the truth is no longer manageable.  I think the reality is that a foreign country could buy England tomorrow and I'm sure the youth of today could not really give a toss as long as their daily luxuries and routines were not greatly affected.

Edited by TigerBright19

Hold your horses people, in 9 minutes time we might find Tucker has saved us from conscription lol.

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:58 PM, TigerBright19 said:

I think the reality is that a foreign country could buy England tomorrow and I'm sure the youth of today could not really give a toss as long as their daily luxuries and routines were not greatly affected.

The Tories have already sold it off. There probably isn't a country we could go to war with, because they hold too many shares in British businesses. Putin bought Brexit and Farage, the best and cheapest deals he ever made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...