Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit - The Positives

Ozymandias

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

When you look at this man, well may you ask how far the Tories have fallen. There are no positives for Brexit. As Major says, it was a colossal mistake. 

Well if anyone knows about colossal mistakes it should be John Major, after all, it was John Major who took the UK into the ERM (the pre-cursor to the Euro) back in 1990, which proved absolutely disastrous for the UK's economy, being a key factor in the 1991 recession, and instead of pulling out of the ERM at the time he then decided it would be a great idea to pump billions of pounds worth of foreign exchange reserves into it in a futile attempt to try and save his pet (pro-EU) monetary project, ultimately resulting in 'Black Wednesday' when the UK finally did crash out of the ERM a year later. So when I look at "that man", I see an abject failure who singlehandedly wrecked our economy and caused one of the UK's worst recessions in living memory, so why would anyone in their right mind listen to him? 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/black-wednesday.asp

Unlike you Ozy (and others on here), who simply flat out refuse to even consider the possibility that there are benefits of no longer being shackled to that crumbling political union folly, I'm not that closed minded and ignorant to see that there are actually benefits to being in the EU, it's just that I wholeheartedly believe with every single fibre of my being that the benefits of not selling our country out to a wannabe federal European Superstate where we would ultimately be answerable to Brussels far outweigh any benefits of EU membership.

Edited by Destination Unknown

There is a positive benefit to Brexit after all, but its not what you think!

I was in conversation with some UK colleagues about this and they were all in general agreement - Brexit has resulted in the realisation among the British public that it is has been bad for the UK and was a mistake. A bit like having to put one's finger in the fire to learn the lesson that it burns and no amount of Brexiteer rhetoric can now persuade them otherwise. What the British public does with this epiphany remains to be seen.

Time is a great teller of truth, therefore, I say, here's to education, however it is delivered, and to trusting in the knowledge of experts rather than listen to politicians or governments. Although both can be wrong and/or corrupt, experts more generally have integrity and value objectivity whereas politicians are more inclined to indulge in bias and spin. This is a generalisation, of course, and examples to contradict it can be given. But, in general, history teaches us one fundamental fact: that, on the one hand, the objectivity and knowledge of experts has facilitated human advancement, whereas, on the other, the self-serving partiality of inept or opportunistic politicians has had quite the opposite effect. 

Brexit was promoted by an elite who care nothing for the vast majority of UK citizens, an elite who languidly recline on the benches of the House of Commons, or who have had enough of experts, or gamble the UK economy on international markets, or have no understanding of the importance of Dover to UK trade, or waste millions of taxpayers money on corrupt cronies, etc..........

To paraphrase Shakespeare: 'For ’tis the sport to have the Brexiteer hoist with his own petard'. The pity is, the damage he has done in the meantime. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

There is a positive benefit to Brexit after all, but its not what you think!

I was in conversation with some UK colleagues about this and they were all in general agreement - Brexit has resulted in the realisation among the British public that it is has been bad for the UK and was a mistake. A bit like having to put one's finger in the fire to learn the lesson that it burns and no amount of Brexiteer rhetoric can now persuade them otherwise. What the British public does with this epiphany remains to be seen.

Time is a great teller of truth, therefore, I say, here's to education, however it is delivered, and to trusting in the knowledge of experts rather than listen to politicians or governments. Although both can be wrong and/or corrupt, experts more generally have integrity and value objectivity whereas politicians are more inclined to indulge in bias and spin. This is a generalisation, of course, and examples to contradict it can be given. But, in general, history teaches us one fundamental fact: that, on the one hand, the objectivity and knowledge of experts has facilitated human advancement, whereas, on the other, the self-serving partiality of inept or opportunistic politicians has had quite the opposite effect. 

Brexit was promoted by an elite who care nothing for the vast majority of UK citizens, an elite who languidly recline on the benches of the House of Commons, or who have had enough of experts, or gamble the UK economy on international markets, or have no understanding of the importance of Dover to UK trade, or waste millions of taxpayers money on corrupt cronies, etc..........

To paraphrase Shakespeare: 'For ’tis the sport to have the Brexiteer hoist with his own petard'. The pity is, the damage he has done in the meantime. 

Try telling that absolute nonsense to those low-paid British workers who are now seeing an increase in their wages as a direct result of the UK's democratically mandated exit from the European Union. Are you now going to try and tell me that British workers getting paid more as a result of Brexit isn't a benefit? 🤦👇👇👇👇

https://businessnewswales.com/wages-soar-by-11-in-brexit-exposed-sectors-data-finds/

On 2/7/2024 at 8:42 PM, Destination Unknown said:

Unlike you Ozy (and others on here), who simply flat out refuse to even consider the possibility that there are benefits of no longer being shackled to that crumbling political union folly, I'm not that closed minded and ignorant to see that there are actually benefits to being in the EU, it's just that I wholeheartedly believe with every single fibre of my being that the benefits of not selling our country out to a wannabe federal European Superstate where we would ultimately be answerable to Brussels far outweigh any benefits of EU membership.

What are they? Some few may be benefitting from Brexit, but they are way outnumbered by the many who are not. The so-called positives you have cited are simply improvements made by the UK economy to claw its way back to where it was before Brexit. It still has a way to go and, in some areas, like the value of the pound, productivity or inward investment, it has not recovered at all. People who know the truth about Brexit, not Tory politicians or the current government, but the majority of economists, financiers, businessmen, farmers, fishermen, exporters, hospitality workers, etc. etc, do not see any positives, only net pain and damage.

I'm sure Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson, and their ilk and cronies, have all reaped benefits from Brexit, but the vast majority of UK citizens have not and worse has yet to come.

I challenge you to name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What are they? Some few may be benefitting from Brexit, but they are way outnumbered by the many who are not. The so-called positives you have cited are simply improvements made by the UK economy to claw its way back to where it was before Brexit. It still has a way to go and, in some areas, like the value of the pound, productivity or inward investment, it has not recovered at all. People who know the truth about Brexit, not Tory politicians or the current government, but the majority of economists, financiers, businessmen, farmers, fishermen, exporters, hospitality workers, etc. etc, do not see any positives, only net pain and damage.

I'm sure Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson, and their ilk and cronies, have all reaped benefits from Brexit, but the vast majority of UK citizens have not and worse has yet to come.

I challenge you to name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. 

Even better lets look at some of the negatives to Ireland.

Are your people rioting over all the immigration? Wait for your housing costs to rocket, for your wages to come down, and for all the crime from those who have had to commit crime in order to survive.

Edited by Electric Scooter
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

See this is what really gets on my nerves. There's 4 pages of benefits on this thread alone, but yet you still refuse to even consider them. How can you possibly sit there and say that there a no benefits to not being in the EU?

It's just like saying there are no benefits to being one of the other 170 or so non-EU countries on the rest of the planet, many of whom seem to be able to manage perfectly fine without having to be politically shackled to their neighbours.

The only reason I can come up with for your sheer blind ignorance (and it is sheer blind ignorance Ozy) is that you just cannot stand the thought of a successful post-Brexit UK outside of the EU, because it would just show up how outdated and irrelevant your beloved EU actually is, a lumbering arthritic dinosaur that's obviously not fit for purpose in today's fast paced modern world.

The EU isn't the whole world you know Ozy, and the truth you don't want to hear is that your beloved EU is becoming increasingly irrelevant to the rest of the world.

The EU’s share of global GDP in 1980 (with the UK) was almost 30%. But as more countries have joined, since then it has halved, down to 14.5% (without the UK) by the end of 2023. It will soon fall to 13%, then 12%, and then sub 10%. The process is unstoppable. As the IMF has already said:

"90% of future global growth will happen outside Europe's borders." (Source: IMF).

The EU is not the major world power that you arrogantly seem to think that it is Ozy. As recent events have shown with the EU-wide farmer protests, it is a disparate group of nations with differing agendas and economies. 👇👇👇👇

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPSH@WEO/EU

• Like 1

One benefit is that the EU now see's the real possibility of nations leaving and will have to stop measuring success by the number of inappropriate and counterproductive rules and laws created that many in EU ignore anyway. 

A better functioning EU policy making machine that includes logic and common sense will have to be introduced.

You can thank the brexiteers later.  

Edited by L.A.T.1961

2 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

Even better lets look at some of the negatives to Ireland.

This thread is not about Ireland, but if you want to talk about it open a new thread. There's nothing I like better than talking about Ireland.

2 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

Are your people rioting over all the immigration? Wait for your housing costs to rocket, for your wages to come down, and for all the crime from those who have had to commit crime in order to survive.

Only if by 'your people' you mean that very, very small group of ill-informed Far Right activists who are breaking the law of the land and if by 'rioting' you are referring to a single incidence in Dublin recently where so-called protestors stole trainers and track suits from shops while destroying public property paid for by decent citizen taxpayers. The criminal Far Right does not represent the overwhelming majority of Irish people and it never will. 

So, let's put this thread back on track. Name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. 

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

One benefit is that the EU now see's the real possibility of nations leaving and will have to stop measuring success by the number of inappropriate and counterproductive rules and laws created that many in EU ignore anyway. 

A better functioning EU policy making machine that includes logic and common sense will have to be introduced.

You can thank the brexiteers later.  

That is irrelevant to the topic of this thread which is to name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. 

2 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

See this is what really gets on my nerves. There's 4 pages of benefits on this thread alone, but yet you still refuse to even consider them. How can you possibly sit there and say that there a no benefits to not being in the EU?

It's just like saying there are no benefits to being one of the other 170 or so non-EU countries on the rest of the planet, many of whom seem to be able to manage perfectly fine without having to be politically shackled to their neighbours.

The only reason I can come up with for your sheer blind ignorance (and it is sheer blind ignorance Ozy) is that you just cannot stand the thought of a successful post-Brexit UK outside of the EU, because it would just show up how outdated and irrelevant your beloved EU actually is, a lumbering arthritic dinosaur that's obviously not fit for purpose in today's fast paced modern world.

The EU isn't the whole world you know Ozy, and the truth you don't want to hear is that your beloved EU is becoming increasingly irrelevant to the rest of the world.

The EU’s share of global GDP in 1980 (with the UK) was almost 30%. But as more countries have joined, since then it has halved, down to 14.5% (without the UK) by the end of 2023. It will soon fall to 13%, then 12%, and then sub 10%. The process is unstoppable. As the IMF has already said:

"90% of future global growth will happen outside Europe's borders." (Source: IMF).

The EU is not the major world power that you arrogantly seem to think that it is Ozy. As recent events have shown with the EU-wide farmer protests, it is a disparate group of nations with differing agendas and economies. 👇👇👇👇

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPSH@WEO/EU

What a long-winded irrelevant response. We are not talking about the EU, your usual obsession. The UK left the EU, so why are you fixated on it?

I challenged you to name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. Can you?

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I challenged you to name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they never could have had under the EU. Can you?

No you didn't Ozy, because right at the start of this thread (that you yourself created), you stated, quote: "So, in the interests of balance, what are the positives?", and having named a whole bunch of positives, you've now all of a sudden decided that that isn't good enough for you, so like all disingenuous europhiles who know when they've been beaten fair and square, instead of admitting defeat, you've doubled down and deliberately gone out of your way to move the goalposts by changing your original criteria and adding caveats that you know is impossible to answer, just the same as if I was to ask you your new question about being in the EU. So in the interests of balance, why don't YOU name me something positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they actually rejoiced about that they never could have had by not being in the EU. Well can you? 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

No you didn't Ozy, because right at the start of this thread (that you yourself created), you stated, quote: "So, in the interests of balance, what are the positives?", and having named a whole bunch of positives, you've now all of a sudden decided that that isn't good enough for you, so like all disingenuous europhiles who know when they've been beaten fair and square, instead of admitting defeat, you've doubled down and deliberately gone out of your way to move the goalposts by changing your original criteria and adding caveats that you know is impossible to answer, just the same as if I was to ask you your new question about being in the EU. So in the interests of balance, why don't YOU name me something positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they actually rejoiced about that they never could have had by not being in the EU. Well can you? 🤔

They ask for evidence, they get it, they pretend they never saw it, and ask for evidence haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

No you didn't Ozy, because right at the start of this thread (that you yourself created), you stated, quote: "So, in the interests of balance, what are the positives?", and having named a whole bunch of positives, you've now all of a sudden decided that that isn't good enough for you, so like all disingenuous europhiles who know when they've been beaten fair and square,

Your positives were nothing more than improvements the UK made in clawing its way out of the hole it fell into after Brexit. To summarise your alleged Brexit positives: 

(1) You claimed it was a Brexit positive that the UK had produced one million cars in 2023. It's not. The UK was producing 1.75 million cars in 2016. 2023 was the best year for car production since the Brexit referendum as it represents a reversal in the decline of the previous six years.

(2) You claimed it was a positive of Brexit that 436,000 new businesses were registered in the first half of 2023. That could be seen as a Brexit positive if you ignore the overall picture which is clearly painted in the following article UK Business Statistics 2023 - Business Facts and Stats Report | money.co.uk which fully references its sources. Here you will find that there were 6 million businesses in the UK in 2020. This dropped by 800,000 to 5.2 million in 2023 before picking up to 5.5 million as of January 2024, still 500,000 businesses less than there was three years ago. Of these 5.5 million businesses, 4.1 million employ nobody! In nearly every sector of the economy there were less businesses in 2023 than there were in 2022. In 2022, only 27% of SMEs achieved any growth and between 2020 and 2022, about 20% of SMEs say they did not make a profit. The number of self-employed has dropped from c.5 million in 2020 to c.4.3 million in 2023. 

(3) You claimed it was a Brexit positive that 'Sterling sparkles as UK business activity overtakes the euro zone'. It's not. Sterling fell off a cliff in 2016 following the referendum, losing between 15% and 20% (roughly) of its value and it has not recovered. Brexit has had no positive benefits for sterling. None.

(4) You claimed that starting negotiations on a trade deal with South Korea was a Brexit positive. It's not. If you get a better deal than you already had while part of the EU that will be a benefit, but you haven't and there's no guarantee. 

3 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

instead of admitting defeat, you've doubled down and deliberately gone out of your way to move the goalposts by changing your original criteria and adding caveats that you know is impossible to answer, just the same as if I was to ask you your new question about being in the EU. So in the interests of balance, why don't YOU name me something positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they actually rejoiced about that they never could have had by not being in the EU. Well can you? 🤔

I have consistently said that there are no benefits to Brexit. That is my view. You are the one claiming that there are. I have asked you to name one. You can say that some people have done well out of Brexit (Boris Johnson, Tory party cronies), or have higher wages (truck drivers), or better returns on their investments (Rees-Mogg, Tory party donors), or a job (newly appointed Customs Official), but these are comparatively insignificant and do not outweigh the widespread damage Brexit has inflicted on the general British population. So, I asked instead,

Can you name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they could never have had under the EU?

Edited by Ozymandias

29 minutes ago, Electric Scooter said:

They ask for evidence, they get it, they pretend they never saw it, and ask for evidence haha.

See my response to Destination Unknown in message #88. 

Can you name one Brexit positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people, something they rejoice about now that they could never have had under the EU?

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

See my response to Destination Unknown in message #75. 

See the earlier posts giving you the information you claim you haven`t seen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Electric Scooter said:

See the earlier posts giving you the information you claim you haven`t seen.

Humour me. Let's pretend I'm a bit thick and need to be led by the nose. 

Or direct me to a post where one genuine positive has been given.

Edited by Ozymandias

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Humour me. Let's pretend I'm a bit thick and need to be led by the nose. 

Or direct me to a post where one genuine positive has been given.

I`m not playing into your game, you are hereby ex-communicated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I have consistently said that there are no benefits to Brexit.

I know you have, so try telling that load of absolute nonsense to those low-paid British workers that are now seeing their wages increase as a direct result of our democratically mandated exit from the European Union, or are you now going to try and tell me that British workers getting paid more as a direct result of Brexit isn't a benefit, because if you are, then you're on another planet. 👇👇👇👇

https://businessnewswales.com/wages-soar-by-11-in-brexit-exposed-sectors-data-finds/

Why does there even need to be any benefits anyway? 🤔

I voted to leave a European political project that nobody ever even voted to join in the first place, but one that has been imposed on us through stealth without our consent.

A European political project that has only ever moved in one direction, resulting in more and more powers being stripped away from nation states to be centrally controlled from Brussels.

I looked at the bigger picture (obviously you didn't) and I can see what the EU is well on its way to becoming (obviously you can't). I just don't want to see the UK being ruled from afar, where every single aspect of our lives, even down to how much tax we pay, is decided by a bunch of unaccountable out of touch bureaucrats based in Brussels that we can never remove from office at the Ballot Box if we don't like any of their policies because they will never even stand for election in the first place, but obviously you do, so what are the benefits of THAT?

It may come as a bit of a shock to you but not everyone is like you and wants to see their country consumed into one large lump of European "states" where we would ultimately be answerable to a Politburo based in Brussels. 👇👇👇👇

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/12/01/mario-draghi-european-union-single-megastate-italy/

8 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

I know you have, so try telling that load of absolute nonsense to those low-paid British workers that are now seeing their wages increase as a direct result of our democratically mandated exit from the European Union, or are you now going to try and tell me that British workers getting paid more as a direct result of Brexit isn't a benefit, because if you are, then you're on another planet.

Yes, I am. Some few may be getting better wages but the wider picture is quite the opposite. The Resolution Foundation published a report two months ago showing that when adjusted for inflation the real value of UK workers wages has declined by an average of £200. The research was reported by Sky News as follows:

Why does there even need to be any benefits anyway? 🤔

Well, I don't think there were any. Are you now coming to that realisation?

II looked at the bigger picture (obviously you didn't) and I can see what the EU is well on its way to becoming (obviously you can't). I just don't want to see the UK being ruled from afar,

That's just it! I have been looking at the big picture. The EU is the big picture. Free trade with your nearest neighbours enables lower prices for consumers, increased exports, benefits from economies of scale and a greater choice of goods. Ask any economist. The Brexiteers idea of a 'global Britain' simply has not materialised. It is harder and more costly to trade with the rest of the world because it is further away.

Face facts. Brexit has not provided any positives for Britain. According to all conventional metrics, the UK has been in steady decline for decades, a decline Brexiteers claim is the fault of its membership of the EU. You have isolated yourself economically from your most advantageous market to pursue the unicorn of global trade and make Britain great again, yet that has not been happening and far from helping the UK economy, has damaged it. It is a massive gamble and one which does not seem likely to pay dividends in the future. The indications are not there and, as John Major says, Brexit has been a massive mistake. 

Edit: removed a paragraph of my thoughts on John Major because it may derail this thread and I want to focus on Brexit positives

Edited by Ozymandias

8 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

I`m not playing into your game, you are hereby ex-communicated.

OK. Not sure exactly what you mean. I can still post, but if you do not want to respond, that is your prerogative..

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

the real value of UK workers wages has declined by an average of £200

The real value of UK workers wages declined a hell of a lot more than that whilst we were in your beloved EU Ozy, as they'd seen their wages stagnate for decades due to the EU's free movement of cheap labour from the continent.

Eventually inflation will come down, it always does, and when it does, those increases in UK workers wages WILL be an even bigger benefit than they are right now. In fact, annoyingly for you, UK wage data has again defied expectations in a report from just yesterday (Tuesday 13th February 2023), with salary growth remaining higher than projected, outstripping inflation for another month. 

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/19851-pound-to-euro-and-dollar-uk-wages-january

Well, I don't think there were any.

No, of course you don't, that's because you're a brainwashed indoctrinated europhile who obviously quite clearly seems to think the only way is the EU way.

Are you now coming to that realisation?

No, I'm certainly not. In actual fact, the more I see posts from people like you, who sit there in your ivory tower looking down your nose at anyone that happens to have a different opinion to you about the EU and the direction it has taken, and who simply refuses to flat out consider the possibility that the UK cannot stand on its own two feet in the world without being told what to do by some faceless unelected out of touch bureaucrats based in Brussels, the more I see the benefits of Brexit.

That's just it! I have been looking at the big picture. The EU is the big picture.

No it isn't Ozy, it's just a bunch of 27 countries out of some 290 others that are also on the planet, and the sooner you realise that, the less of a shock it will be for you when global events eventually calm down and a post-Brexit UK leaves your beloved EU for dust in our rear view mirror, showing the EU up for what it actually is, a lumbering arthritic dinosaur that's had its day and isn't fit for purpose in today's fast paced modern world.

Free trade with your nearest neighbours enables lower prices for consumers, increased exports, benefits from economies of scale and a greater choice of goods. Ask any economist. The Brexiteers idea of a 'global Britain' simply has not materialised. It is harder and more costly to trade with the rest of the world because it is further away.

What a load of absolute nonsense. I can't even believe you actually believe all that nonsense you've just spewed out.

Total UK exports of goods & services to the EU/RoW in 2019 (pre-Brexit/Covid) was valued at £706.7bn (Source: ONS).

Total UK exports of goods & services to the EU/RoW in the 12 months to end of Sept. 2023 (post-Brexit/Covid) was valued at £870.4bn (Source: ONS).

And, it hasn't come at a cost of some £10bn (probably closer to £15bn by now to cover the cost of the EU's Covid bailout fund if we'd have stayed in) to the British taxpayer either, so that's something positive that has materially benefitted the majority of British people right there Ozy, not giving Brussels some £15bn of UK taxpayers money every single year in perpetuity for no reason!! 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/uk-trade-in-numbers/uk-trade-in-numbers-web-version

And as for John Major, I don't even know why you obviously hero worship that clown, because it was John Major who took the UK into the ERM (the pre-cursor to the Euro) back in 1990, which proved absolutely disastrous for the UK's economy, being a key factor in the 1991 recession, and instead of pulling out of the ERM at the time he then decided it would be a great idea to pump billions of pounds worth of foreign exchange reserves into it in a futile attempt to try and save his pet (pro-EU) monetary project, ultimately resulting in 'Black Wednesday' when the UK finally did crash out of the ERM a year later. So when I look at John Major, I see an abject failure who singlehandedly wrecked our economy and caused one of the UK's worst recessions in living memory, so why would anyone in their right mind listen to him? 🤔👇👇👇👇

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/black-wednesday.asp

47 minutes ago, Destination Unknown said:

The real value of UK workers wages declined a hell of a lot more than that whilst we were in your beloved EU Ozy, as they'd seen their wages stagnate for decades due to the EU's free movement of cheap labour from the continent

Aye, all those bankers who never once got a pay rise cos of them illiterate Albanians coming here and doing their job for 3 and sixpence a week  :lol:

22 minutes ago, Essan said:

Aye, all those bankers who never once got a pay rise cos of them illiterate Albanians coming here and doing their job for 3 and sixpence a week  :lol:

All those Albanians that didn't come here because of the EU's freedom of movement, seeing as Albania isn't even in the EU.

• 2 weeks later...