Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel accuses UN staffers of involvement in Hamas' Oct 7 terror attacks

Kittens Are Jerks

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Look, regardless of the occasional example of corruption, the UN does valuable international work.  As for funding the UN, while it has been relegated to an irrelevance by the veto power, the fact remains that the world is a more peaceful place because of it.  If we are going to have a world government, it is for the best that it is toothless, don't you agree?

The world used to be a more peaceful place because of it, but no longer. The UN has become inefficient, incompetent and corrupt. Once the most praised international institution, it now has terrorists, rapists and other criminals in its ranks.

The UN is in dire need of significant reform. If that doesn't happen, then I see no point in supporting it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We oppose axing UNRWA mid-war, senior Israeli official says amid global funding halt

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government does not support the immediate discontinuation of UNRWA, a senior Israeli official said on Tuesday as a host of Western countries moved to suspend funding for the UN relief agency for Palestinians amid allegations that roughly a dozen of its employees took part in Hamas’s October 7 terror onslaught and hundreds more are either operatives or have close ties with members.

If UNRWA ceases operating on the ground, this could cause a humanitarian catastrophe that would force Israel to halt its fighting against Hamas,” the senior Israeli official said, briefing The Times of Israel on condition of anonymity. “This would not be in Israel’s interest and it would not be in the interest of Israel’s allies either.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/we-oppose-axing-unrwa-mid-war-senior-israeli-official-says-amid-global-funding-halt/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The world used to be a more peaceful place because of it, but no longer. The UN has become inefficient, incompetent and corrupt. Once the most praised international institution, it now has terrorists, rapists and other criminals in its ranks.

The UN is in dire need of significant reform. If that doesn't happen, then I see no point in supporting it.

I agree on that.  In concept having an international body that promotes human rights, peace and security is progress.  Having 5 privileged nations pulling most strings, of which two are run by dictatorships, is not.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The UN has become inefficient, incompetent and corrupt.

EVERY organization will have inefficiencies, incompetence and a measure of corruption, even if it is just someone taking a company pen home from work.  Don't overstate the case.

Once the most praised international institution, it now has terrorists, rapists and other criminals in its ranks.

Nobody loathes Hamas more than I do, but saying we need to defund UN charities just because there are a couple of Hamas infiltrators is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Far better to embarrass the UN body responsible, have an inquiry, chuck the offenders in jail, along with any previously undetected lunatic extremists who show up with the new scrutiny, and make the entire organizational structure make sure they never have to go thru any of that again.

And this occasion represents a time where the whip can be taken out.  Write to your representatives and express what you think needs to be done.  Write to the US representative to the UN, Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield especially.  Get other like minded people to do so too.  Actual physical pieces of paper get action I find.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

EVERY organization will have inefficiencies, incompetence and a measure of corruption, even if it is just someone taking a company pen home from work.  Don't overstate the case.

What exactly am I overstating? This isn't just any organization. An organization whose primary mission is to help and protect people, should not be going around killing and robbing. It should not be appointing countries like Saudi Arabia to its Human Rights Council. It should not be contributing to dramatic failures, such as in Bosnia, Rwanda, and the war in Syria. And it most certainly should not be engaging in gang rapes, prostitution and sex trafficking rings, and paedophilia.

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

Nobody loathes Hamas more than I do, but saying we need to defund UN charities just because there are a couple of Hamas infiltrators is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Far better to embarrass the UN body responsible, have an inquiry, chuck the offenders in jail, along with any previously undetected lunatic extremists who show up with the new scrutiny, and make the entire organizational structure make sure they never have to go thru any of that again.

I wasn't just referring to Hamas when I mentioned terrorists, rapists and other criminals.

It's well known, for example, that the UN has a sexual abuse problem. It has faced allegations of rape in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Haiti, Mozambique, Somalia, and Eriteria. It's also been accused of prostitution and trafficking in Bosnia and Liberia and of abuse of minors in Sierra Leone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_by_UN_peacekeepers

According to an investigation by the Associated Press a few years ago, the UN (between 2004 and 2016) received nearly 2,000 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against its peacekeepers (the majority of which occurred in Congo). The UN says it maintains a zero tolerance policy on sexual abuse, yet allows these crimes to continue with impunity. Not only has the UN been unable to prevent such crimes from occurring over and over again, it has also demonstrated an unwillingness or inability to levy criminal accountability on its peacekeepers

https://apnews.com/article/united-nations-pakistan-africa-sexual-abuse-international-news-69e56ab46cab400f9f4b3753bd79c930

59 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

And this occasion represents a time where the whip can be taken out.  Write to your representatives and express what you think needs to be done.  Write to the US representative to the UN, Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield especially.  Get other like minded people to do so too.  Actual physical pieces of paper get action I find.

In this case the whip should be money, not letters.

The more the UN is at risk of losing funding and of becoming obsolete, the more incentive it will have to get its act together.

I don't wish to detract from what good it has achieved, but the organization as it stands today needs a good smack upside the head. It also needs to end immunity for it's peacekeepers and other personnel. Enough is enough.

https://www.ibanet.org/article/CEBC5F69-A238-49BB-B85A-5E8D878FE485

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Israel reveals 12 UNRWA staffers it says took part in Oct. 7, says 30 more assisted

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Friday publicly revealed the identities of 12 UNRWA staff members who Israel says “actively participated” in the Hamas-led October 7 onslaught on southern Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-reveals-12-unrwa-staffers-it-says-took-part-in-oct-7-says-30-more-assisted/

Edited by Saru
Fixed error
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Israel reveals 12 UNRWA staffers it says took part in Oct. 7, says 30 more assisted

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Friday publicly revealed the identities of 12 UNRWA staff members who Israel says “actively participated” in the Hamas-led October 7 onslaught on southern Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-reveals-12-unrwa-staffers-it-says-took-part-in-oct-7-says-30-more-assisted/

That is pretty damning.  UN staff were members of a terrorist organization that committed atrocities against a country that the UN has repeatedly tried to victimize.  Perhaps the UN needs a reboot without some of the @sshole countries being involved?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

That is pretty damning.  UN staff were members of a terrorist organization that committed atrocities against a country that the UN has repeatedly tried to victimize.  Perhaps the UN needs a reboot without some of the @sshole countries being involved?

The UN definitely needs a 'reboot' if it's to remain relevant. It is an essential organization, as you pointed out earlier in this discussion, as it's currently the only one with sufficient global reach to deal with cross-border challenges such as human rights, global diseases, poverty and hunger, among other things. But its successes are dependent on the collective will of its members, as well as the integrity of its employees. Until those issues are investigated and/or resolved, it's effectiveness and credibility as an instrument of peace and security will remain compromised.

• Like 3

UNRWA should be banned from Israel, totally as soon as new infrastructure for aid can be set up.  It's time to see just how much the world really cares about the Palestinian situation.

Edited by and-then
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The UN definitely needs a 'reboot' if it's to remain relevant. It is an essential organization, as you pointed out earlier in this discussion, as it's currently the only one with sufficient global reach to deal with cross-border challenges such as human rights, global diseases, poverty and hunger, among other things. But its successes are dependent on the collective will of its members, as well as the integrity of its employees. Until those issues are investigated and/or resolved, it's effectiveness and credibility as an instrument of peace and security will remain compromised.

I am coming around to your position KAJ.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I am coming around to your position KAJ.

You made some very good and valid points as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

‘I captured one!’ — IDF recordings show more UNRWA staffers bragging of Oct. 7 crimes

The IDF on Monday released audio recordings that it says incriminate two additional UNRWA employees who allegedly participated in the Hamas-led October 7 onslaught — bringing the total number of agency workers that Jerusalem says actively participated in the attacks to 14.

“I’m inside, I’m inside with the Jews,” Mamdouh al-Qali, an Islamic Jihad terrorist whom the IDF says was employed as a teacher in a UNRWA school, is heard saying in one recording. “How will you get home?” he is asked in the phone call, and he replies with a laugh: “When I die.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/i-captured-one-idf-recordings-show-more-unrwa-staffers-bragging-of-oct-7-crimes/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's hope he gets home real, real soon, then.  UNRWA should be pushed out of Gaza forever.  If Biden manages to use Gantz to unseat Netanyahu then I hate to say it but Israel is going to deserve the pain that will bring to the nation.  It is past time for them to stand and say NO MORE!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UNRWA textbooks were pivotal in radicalizing generations of Gazans — watchdog

Education-monitoring group says UN agency allowed incitement to be taught in its schools, and argues that staff who took part in October 7 attack were not isolated ‘bad apples’

https://www.timesofisrael.com/unrwa-textbooks-were-pivotal-in-radicalizing-generations-of-gazans-watchdog/

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The following is a short clip from the Debate at United Nations Human Rights Council, 55th Session that took place just last month, where several countries continued to defend UNRWA. Many its defenders insist that UNRWA's complicity with Hamas does not go beyond 'a few bad apples'. UN Watch's Hillel Neuer showed the opposite is true. The number of UNRWA staff supporting, or complicit with Hamas, is staggering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Israel is faced with existential enemies and sadly, the US does not care.  Thereality in DC today is that the coming election is more important than Israel's survival.  Those fools may think DC is in no jeopardy if they turn on Israel.  They will learn their error soon enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

‘Impossible to say where UNRWA ends and Hamas begins’: Foreign Ministry reacts to review

With the independent review of UNRWA’s links to terror set to be released in New York, the Foreign Ministry says that Hamas’s penetration of the UN agency is so deep that “it is impossible to say where UNRWA ends and Hamas begins.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/impossible-to-say-where-unrwa-ends-and-hamas-begins-foreign-ministry-reacts-to-review/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Israel says it then it must be true. 

Meanwhile in the real world here are the actual facts....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/22/israel-unrwa-staff-terrorist-links-yet-to-provide-evidence-colonna-report

“Israel made public claims that a significant number of Unrwa employees are members of terrorist organisations”. “However, Israel has yet to provide supporting evidence of this,” the report says.

“Israeli authorities have to date not provided any supporting evidence nor responded to letters from Unrwa in March, and again in April, requesting the names and supporting evidence that would enable Unrwa to open an investigation.”

So once again another lie to add to the countless number of lies the Israeli government has made during this genocide. Remember the 40 beheaded babies, or the systematic rapes, or babies in ovens or the underground Hamas HQ under a hospital etc etc etc. No evidence for any of it but instead used to justify the slaughter of innocent men, women and children. 

The world now sees the true face of this apartheid, racist, far right government and there's no going back. Thousands if not millions of people around the world now see the injustices to the Palestinian people and the biased, hypocritical actions of the western governments.

Israel is more isolated than its ever been and will be held to account for all these atrocities. 

5 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

‘Impossible to say where UNRWA ends and Hamas begins’: Foreign Ministry reacts to review

With the independent review of UNRWA’s links to terror set to be released in New York, the Foreign Ministry says that Hamas’s penetration of the UN agency is so deep that “it is impossible to say where UNRWA ends and Hamas begins.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/impossible-to-say-where-unrwa-ends-and-hamas-begins-foreign-ministry-reacts-to-review/

In my humble opinion, the Israelis have paid enough in blood and treasure to please the world that they are "trying to get along".  UNRWA should be excluded - forcibly if necessary - from any territory where they can teach their hatred to children or use their budget to support a terror army.  Hamas will likely be destroyed as an organized military but it is just as important to stop them - or any other entity like them that might arise - that uses a UN budget to preach hate and train 10/7 style MURDERING FILTH, to kill Israelis.  No other nation on this planet would be expected to allow such a threat to remain.

• Thanks 1