Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should people with chronic ill-health be allowed a state pension earlier than others?

pellinore

Hipkiss thinks that any extended retirement age should be nuanced according to people’s health conditions. “If I had to work until I was 71 in my current state of health, doing the jobs available to me now, I’d be dead by 72,” she said.

“It needs to be worked out so that everyone has the same time after retirement to enjoy life. Someone healthy, in a non-physical job, could work longer and still have many years of life left to enjoy their retirement. It’s not the same for someone like me. The system should recognise that.”

Terry Kirton, from south Wales, agreed. A full-time carer for his 97-year-old father, Rod, he receives about £300 a month carers allowance. “After the recent increases in the cost of living, it isn’t enough,” he said. “Dad needs to be kept warm, and that now costs far more than it used to.”

‘I can’t take it much longer’: workers too young for UK pension | Retirement age | The Guardian

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1

Desks kill people. Sitting down for work shortens lives. Moving around, heavy lifting is really good for you. So who gets the pension early in that scenario?

Also, in ye olde days, many people worked.in heavy industry in the UK and died shortly before or after retirement. It is no different now. People work hard and die often around retirement.

Live like you're retired now. That's the key. Work out how to do that.

• Like 3

I've known people here in the US who get full Social Security disability because they were hooked on drugs at one point. Doctor pronounced them unable to work, so they collect a check every month.

Given, it's actually not much, but some people think a little given free, is better then working at all. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pellinore said:

Hipkiss thinks that any extended retirement age should be nuanced according to people’s health conditions. “If I had to work until I was 71 in my current state of health, doing the jobs available to me now, I’d be dead by 72,” she said.

“It needs to be worked out so that everyone has the same time after retirement to enjoy life. Someone healthy, in a non-physical job, could work longer and still have many years of life left to enjoy their retirement. It’s not the same for someone like me. The system should recognise that.”

Terry Kirton, from south Wales, agreed. A full-time carer for his 97-year-old father, Rod, he receives about £300 a month carers allowance. “After the recent increases in the cost of living, it isn’t enough,” he said. “Dad needs to be kept warm, and that now costs far more than it used to.”

‘I can’t take it much longer’: workers too young for UK pension | Retirement age | The Guardian

The year is 2080 and AI is the Prime Minster.

Its algorithm runs, a few flashing LEDs and beeps later, and it comes up with the solution over what to do with the infirm. Soylent Green!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Live like you're retired now. That's the key. Work out how to do that.

Thank you. Made my day. This comment would fit well in the ‘Gems of Wisdom’ topic.  👍

• Like 1

It sounds reasonable but another system that would be hard to implement?

Where is the line drawn for Ill health qualification? 

I seem to remember that a death before the age of 75 is considered premature in the UK, maybe anybody with a condition that will stop them reaching that age would be an option for an earlier pension.

Talk on the news this morning of increasing the pension age again to 71, by 2040? This from a think tank, not Gov.

• Like 2