Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The French time traveller

Pet1000

I came across this incredible photograph on a site im a member , it clearly shows , when enlarged , a man in a waistcoat talking into a device , it looks like a phone . What else could it be , look at his stance as hes walking , thats what you would do , or as we do today , also his waistcoat and shades look a bit out of place here . Its the South of France 1950's , the best ive seen yet . Timetraveller1950s.thumb.jpg.c4262843633826bf9d282e8fef016fd8.jpg

Edited by Pet1000
mistake
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hi there, Pet1000 :st. Welcome to UM.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a device in his hand. Can you post an enlarged image? Also, I would describe his clothes as being authentic for 1950s France. Especially the rather baggy highwaisted trousers.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I would describe his clothes as being authentic for 1950s France. Especially the rather baggy highwaisted trousers.

Well of course. He has to blend in and not call attention to himself right?

Except when walking down the street in broad daylight with a device from the future firmly attached to his face, then it’s ok.

You’d think having access to time travel technology he’s do his fellow countrymen a favor and go back 10 years more to warn them about Germany planning on invading France and looting its art treasures? Nah.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, acute said:

@ouija ouija

He's obviously not French.

Where's the string of onions around his neck? Where's his bicycle? How is he carrying baguettes?

Screenshot_20240208-143949e2.thumb.png.99a76fbc6f4cbf2195e44c7eaf866824.png

🤔

Now I see the enlarged photo I see an ariel sticking up from the phone!!! :o So, definitely a Time Traveller but maybe from the 90s?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'd say cloth handkerchief, the fellow looks hot. Both temperature and looks.

Wipe off that sweat baby

• Like 3

He's listening to a transistor radio

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Antigonos said:

You’d think having access to time travel technology he’s do his fellow countrymen a favor and go back 10 years more to warn them about Germany planning on invading France and looting its art treasures? Nah.

Actually you would probably not want to do that as you would erase your own time by making such a major change in your past.  I myself would cease to exist without WWII being the eventual cause of where my paternal grandparents were located when they met.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Actually you would probably not want to do that as you would erase your own time by making such a major change in your past.  I myself would cease to exist without WWII being the eventual cause of where my paternal grandparents were located when they met.

Mind blown

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Good call. Didn’t think of this

• Like 3

So apparently France had a mobile Phone network in the 50's. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, maybe he is just scratching an itch while carrying something in his hand ? Could be a case for his glasses or a wallet.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pet1000 said:

I came across this incredible photograph on a site im a member , it clearly shows , when enlarged , a man in a waistcoat talking into a device , it looks like a phone . What else could it be , look at his stance as hes walking , thats what you would do , or as we do today , also his waistcoat and shades look a bit out of place here . Its the South of France 1950's , the best ive seen yet . Timetraveller1950s.thumb.jpg.c4262843633826bf9d282e8fef016fd8.jpg

If it's a "time traveler" then who in the heck is he talking to?  And how?  And how is that phone powered?  And why isn't everyone around staring at him and giving him odd looks as he talks into his hand while walking down the street?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Now I see the enlarged photo I see an ariel sticking up from the phone!!! :o

Well spotted, weej! :tu:

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep!  Mystery solved.

:tsu:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Antigonos said:

Good call. Didn’t think of this

Me neither.  I thought it was him adjusting his glasses but there's asymmetry on that side that either a radio or a handkerchief could cause.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pet1000 said:

, the best ive seen yet . Timetraveller1950s.thumb.jpg.c4262843633826bf9d282e8fef016fd8.jpg

The best you have seen yet?

I bet you haven't seen this one from 100 years ago 

• Like 1

"Look at his stance, that's what we do today"

Right, because how people stand and walk has changed SO MUCH in 70 years. They used to walk around bent over like hunchbacks until the 70s!

"that thing he's talking into"

He's talking? You can hear him? This photo has sound? Crazy cool. That thing he's holding could literally be anything, looks like a handkerchief he's using to wipe his forehead to me. Could be a radio. Could be a brick. What it isn't, is a cellphone. It's not a video, it's one moment in time. You have no idea what movements he made before and after this one pose.

"Best I've seen yet"

Best....what? Best color photo of France in the 50s? It is a fairly nice photo. Good color, interesting setting. Best though? Debatable.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 4

Yellow seems to be the favorite color back then.

And the woman in yellow to the left of the guy has an odd colored left arm.... made from metal??

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 11:53 PM, Pet1000 said:

I’m more shocked by the woman who is just a floating head next to him.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Yellow seems to be the favorite color back then.

And the woman in yellow to the left of the guy has an odd colored left arm.... made from metal??

That's the arm of the guy next to her.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Weird so she must have her arms behind her back….although I think I see a handbag at her right side…..

2 hours ago, Shadowsfall said:

Weird so she must have her arms behind her back….although I think I see a handbag at her right side…..

A common enough pose if you're trying to maneuver a purse through a group of people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Ah. So the woman has no left arm.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:31 PM, ouija ouija said:

Now I see the enlarged photo I see an ariel sticking up from the phone!!! :o So, definitely a Time Traveller but maybe from the 90s?

It's a walkie talkie. No need for time travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2