Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Uproar over Rishi Sunak’s crass trans jibe as Brianna Ghey’s mother visits Commons

pellinore

Sunak promised to replace Johnson with a government of 'honesty, integrity and professionalism'. His premiership is a disgrace, and the UK is going down the plughole. Can we get any lower? Roll on the next GE.

Rishi Sunak provoked outrage by joking about the “definition of a woman” in the Commons as the mother of murdered trans teenager Brianna Ghey visited parliament.

The prime minister clashed with Sir Keir Starmer over the continuing trans debate at PMQs as Esther Ghey was due to appear in the public gallery just four days after her 16-year-old daughter’s killers were jailed for life.

Mr Sunak accused the opposition leader of being incapable of “defining a woman” and that it was one of a number of issues on which he had performed a U-turn.

But his jibe prompted howls of protest from MPs, who accused him of a “cruel” joke, “shameful” behaviour and using minorities as a punchline.

Uproar over Rishi Sunak’s crass trans jibe as Brianna Ghey’s mother visits Commons | The Independent

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Really?  Are we now so thin-skinned that a simple toss away cmment is worth trying to kill a career over?  He had quite a list going there and he tossed out a single comment that could be seen as offensive but his opponents seem to be trying to act as though it was premeditated and intentionally aimed at a grieving parent.  NONSENSE.  I have no idea which party or ideology the guy is nor do I care.  People need to grow the hell up and stop whining like butt hurt children.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, and-then said:

Really?  Are we now so thin-skinned that a simple toss away cmment is worth trying to kill a career over?  He had quite a list going there and he tossed out a single comment that could be seen as offensive but his opponents seem to be trying to act as though it was premeditated and intentionally aimed at a grieving parent.  NONSENSE.  I have no idea which party or ideology the guy is nor do I care.  People need to grow the hell up and stop whining like butt hurt children.

You have no idea what a leader is or supposed to be. 

You sure don't like anti Maga and anti Trump jibes. But it's ok if it's people you hate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@and-then- a 16 year old girl was murdered by her classmates over the transgender issues, boyfriends, girlfriends etc. The facts of it all is immaterial, the important issues is the "culture war " issues over transgender. The Tories stoke it, because it is populist. The murdered girl's mum was invited to the Houses of Parliament to hear a debate and Sunak mocked her daughter for not being a real girl. I don't know the facts, but he should have kept his mouth shut.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, and-then said:

Yes, because it a toss away comment by someone who has never filled a car at a petrol station, takes a helicopter to meetings 200 miles away, and once asked a homeless person if he worked in finance. How can they claim to understand ordinary lives?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

and Sunak mocked her daughter for not being a real girl.

The video clearly demonstrated that he was going down a list of failings by another party member and he didn't specifically mock anyone, he just mentioned that that person couldn't define what a woman was.  The same kinds of barbs happen over here as well.  It was unfortunate and when it was pointed out to him he sounded very sincere in his apology.  I guess it gets down to whether one believes he was intetionally being cruel or not and from the video I saw, I just don't think it was intentional on his part.  

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

How can they claim to understand ordinary lives?

Moving goalposts aren't you?  As I said, I know nothing about his party or politics but that criticism could be aimed at any of them, couldn't it?  The thread is about him being crass and it seems to me he was speaking off the cuff and lacked awareness of who was in the chamber at the time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, and-then said:

It was unfortunate and when it was pointed out to him he sounded very sincere in his apology.  

3 hours ago, and-then said:

The video clearly demonstrated that he was going down a list of failings by another party member and he didn't specifically mock anyone, he just mentioned that that person couldn't define what a woman was.  

I think you are right; he was using a pre-prepared joke. Which is worrying in itself, as he was unable to think on his feet and depart from his speech in changed circumstances (he had been told the victim's mother was in the gallery).

The row has now changed, because he is absolutely refusing to apologise, even though the victim's father and his own MPs have asked him to. None of it is worthy of a country's leader.

Sunak: No apology over ‘absolutely legitimate’ transgender comments at PMQs | Evening Standard

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pellinore said:

Sunak promised to replace Johnson with a government of 'honesty, integrity and professionalism'. His premiership is a disgrace, and the UK is going down the plughole. Can we get any lower? Roll on the next GE.

Rishi Sunak provoked outrage by joking about the “definition of a woman” in the Commons as the mother of murdered trans teenager Brianna Ghey visited parliament.

The prime minister clashed with Sir Keir Starmer over the continuing trans debate at PMQs as Esther Ghey was due to appear in the public gallery just four days after her 16-year-old daughter’s killers were jailed for life.

Mr Sunak accused the opposition leader of being incapable of “defining a woman” and that it was one of a number of issues on which he had performed a U-turn.

But his jibe prompted howls of protest from MPs, who accused him of a “cruel” joke, “shameful” behaviour and using minorities as a punchline.

Uproar over Rishi Sunak’s crass trans jibe as Brianna Ghey’s mother visits Commons | The Independent

Ooooh difficult.

One the one hand: an opinion and question that one can have, as the issue of 'defining a woman' is in our society, for those interested in finding a place and 'safe space' for everybody free from judgement, an unresolved one, where we haven't really found an answer to.

On the other hand in front of the mother of a murdered baby that is really bad bad bad for anybody in a leader position and especially from the one currently 'responsible for the well-being of all of people of the country'.

ooooh he really dropped a brick there

12 hours ago, pellinore said:

The correct response would be `trans issues are indeed a delicate issue for many, but there is nothing more shameful than trying to use the murder of a teenager to score political points`.