Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chernobyl's mutant wolves appear to have developed resistance to cancer

pellinore

Mutant wolves roaming the deserted streets of Chernobyl appear to have developed resistance to cancer - raising hopes the findings can help scientists fight the disease in humans.

A nuclear reactor exploded at the Chernobyl power plant in Ukraine in 1986 - with more than 100,000 people evacuated from the city as the blast released cancer-causing radiation.

The area has remained eerily abandoned ever since, with the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone (CEZ) put in place to prevent people from entering a 1,000-square-mile area where the radiation still poses a cancer risk.

Chernobyl's mutant wolves appear to have developed resistance to cancer, study finds | World News | Sky News

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pretty much everyone alive from back in USSR times from the general region has a thyroid removal scar these days.

Edited by Alchopwn

I always hear of someone dying of cancer. I've had classmates die of it and they were just middle age. I've read where 7 countries exploded over 2,000

nuclear bombs on land and sea from 1945-98. All that radiation getting in the winds and currents can get to populated areas.

If true science must surely do what they can to eradicate this dreadful disease….🦠

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
A wolve have an average lifespan between 6 and 8 years. So during that life time, the risk of dying from cancer is probably less than other causes and they would accumulate way less than a human during 70 years in the region.